Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #436
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I am not busy with the font override and other things, I am to afraid that I kill something, and my prs-t2 arrives in september and I don't think this all would work on the prs-t2, but I do know that the reader totally ignores the !important option.
Whenever I use it in Sigil at any css, it works fine,even in the calibre reader, but not on the reader itself, it totally ignores the !important "flag".
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #437
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@snarkophilus,

Firstly, if you think you may have a lot of epubs whose own css is full of font-family:"Times New Roman" statements I think you could take some global evasive action in the 6/7 css files by replacing all the
Code:
@font-face{font-family: serif; ...}
lines with
Code:
@font-face{font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; ...}

Secondly, re: choosing not to override embedded fonts. You could remove all font-family references from the default.css file and read your book with font set to 'Original'. The embedded fonts should be used.

Based on your initial post of your default.css file this would leave
Code:
@page {
        margin-top: 5pt;
        margin-bottom: 0;
        margin-left: 2pt;
        margin-right: 2pt;
}

body, body.book, body.text, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3, body.calibre4 {
    /* font-family: serif */
    margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0;
    text-align: justify;
}
If you did this you would have to put a full set of @font-faces in all of the 6 css files because nothing would 'drop through' from default.css. Similarly, you would also need to include a
Code:
body, body.book, body.text, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3, body.calibre4 {
    font-family: serif}
in each of the 6 css files.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #438
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
With some help and suggestions from this thread, I've tracked this down to user error.

The epub I was looking at, a Calibre converted Kindle book...
I buy a lot of kindle books and I have to treat all of them as described here (they need to be converted anyway) to make font selection possible.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #439
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
With some help and suggestions from this thread, I've tracked this down to user error.

The epub I was looking at, a Calibre converted Kindle book, had the following spread through the css:
Code:
font-family: "Times New Roman", "serif";
Removing those and all is good! I had thought that I was looking at the font specified in my default.css when I was actually looking at the default T1 font, and for this reason had thought that my default.css was working as expected.

Calibre has a option under Look & Feel/Filter Style Information to remove font style information. I haven't tried that yet, but suspect it would have helped.

A quick look through my library shows 139 books out of 462 have a font-family: reference. A number of these are just font-family: Serif so I can ignore them, but there are a number I'll go and have a further peek at.

I guess there must be a CSS way to override something like font-family: "Times New Roman"? More ideally, I'm looking for something that can say "if there's no embedded font, then override the font". For example, I wouldn't want to override the Fontin font in Jelby's Three Men in a Boat epub.

Cheers,
Simon.
That sounds very much like a Word document converted to ePub via Calibre and not cleaned up. Word output is crap when the resulting document is going to be made into an eBook. You have to clean up the garbage inside the Word document. Best way to do it is to copy all the text from Word, past into a text editor, load that text file into Sigil and proceed to make an ePub eBook from there. You don't have the garbage and it should take a lot less time to format as in the text editor, you can search/replace to surround every line with <p></p> and then work from there. If you use markers in your Word document like _text_ for italics and *text* for bold or even @text@ for smallcaps or _*text*_ for bold italics and even say %text% for centered. Then all you need do is search/replace to put in what you want for the styles. It's not difficult and with a little work can make an eBook in less them then it takes to clean up a Word sourced Calibre converted ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-18-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #440
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That sounds very much like a Word document converted to ePub via Calibre and not cleaned up.
Indeed! As I mentioned above, I got this book through Amazon. I pulled apart the original .azw3 file, and in the first dozen lines of the xml are references to "Microsoft Word 14 (filtered)" as the generator and calibre css classes. I'm not sure I want to know the complete end-to-end workflow .

Since I don't have the original Word file and this was an Amazon freebie that I just want to read and not expend too much energy on, removing a couple of font-family references in the css has got me what I want.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #441
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I want to thank everyone for their work on this. I applied the JuneReader to a stock (non-rooted) T1 and am finally able to read in my preferred font (amasis) without losing formatting.

After playing around with pagesPerRefresh in reader.xml, I have discovered an unfortunate side effect of changing this setting. Normally, after pinch-zooming an image, I get a screen flash and the image changes from a washed-out look (while zooming) to a normal, realistic (for eink anyway) image.

With pagesPerRefresh > 1, the screen flash never happens and the zoomed image just stays washed out. This is only really a problem with epic fantasies and such, with maps that my aging eyes can't make out without zooming.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #442
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Indeed! As I mentioned above, I got this book through Amazon. I pulled apart the original .azw3 file, and in the first dozen lines of the xml are references to "Microsoft Word 14 (filtered)" as the generator and calibre css classes. I'm not sure I want to know the complete end-to-end workflow .

Since I don't have the original Word file and this was an Amazon freebie that I just want to read and not expend too much energy on, removing a couple of font-family references in the css has got me what I want.

Cheers,
Simon.
Word should die a horrible death and go away. It's causing nothing but hassles for a lot of eBooks.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #443
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
I broke my system lots of times while trying to figure out the workflow of modifying apps but the sdcard-rescue always did the trick.
Could you please share your workflow? I'm interested in modifying apps, too, and would like to avoid errors you've already made and to profit from your knowledge. in advance.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #444
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
ebmr, here is a previous post from morkl on the process.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #445
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Just a heads up I cleaned up the Modified Reader wiki and in the process stumbled upon the custom css thread and added a link there. I think someone brought it up recently but maybe we should discuss it there. For all the hard work Morkl has done the rest of us can maybe help with the documentation, wiki does seem a good place to do it
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #446
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Thank you, looking good!
I can only agree, it can be quite cumbersome to collect information out of different and sometimes very long threads.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #447
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
ebmr, here is a previous post from morkl on the process.
Thanks. I've got most of it to work, but it seems that this description is a bit out of date.

I'm referring to steps 7 to 9. Morkl's first two versions (recentlyread and v2) did contain separate .odex files and were installed as system app. His recent versions have the classes.dex in the .apk file and install as data app.

What's the difference?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #448
Moongurt
Moongurt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS T1
Question

Hi there. I would need a little help installing.
I have a PRS T1, bought it in Austria, Language is set to English.
Tried rooting the device various times with batch file and manually as well, did not work. The device just reboots and no change in the interface can be seen.

Happened with Morkls Tweak and also with classic root as well
Can anybody help?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #449
Moongurt
Moongurt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS T1
Okay, so now I got it all going! After reading a lot on the forums!

But still there is something not working for me...
I installed Morkls modified reader app through APK install. Mainly because I wanted partial page refresh. But it would not work install is successful, but the app does not change its behavior

I put the "reader" folder in /mnt/sdcard
So it looks like /mnt/sdcard/reader/

Have I forgotten something? Partial Page refresh just would not work.
I tried reinstalling and reinstalling the APK... but that didn't do the trick
Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #450
rdijkmans
rdijkmans began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Battery?

Finally got the June Reader to work, even after reboots. Now, the only question I have is if it is possible to show the battery, as was the case with older versions of Morkl's Reader. Now, I can only show how/where to show the clock.
Is showing the battery still an option, and if not, why was it removed and/or will it come back??

It may have been asked before, but I've searched a few of Morkl's threads, but couldn't find...

Also asked before, but as far as I recall without an answer is the question/request to enable a 24hr clock on the bottom of the Reader, instead having only 12h as possibility...

Last edited by rdijkmans; 09-08-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: additional question about 24hr clock
Closed Thread