Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #166
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That is a great book

I'll Nominate it!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #167
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Folks... count your nominations..... 3 each... remember?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #168
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Dang, caught by the sargent (or is that pilot) at arms!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #169
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Dang, caught by the sargent (or is that pilot) at arms!
- Good spot BOb!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #170
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

BOb
Something's off... As far as I'm aware, I can 'support' - second - three nominations, and then I can nominate three choices as well. I've counted every time I've participated so far, and I've done as just described. It has apparently been okay, and I hope it still is.

IF 'nomination' means seconding/thirding some book AND suggesting one - all included, I have for the last year completely misunderstood the rules. I hope I haven't. To my mind, nominating and supporting a nomination, is two completely different things.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #171
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Something's off... As far as I'm aware, I can 'support' - second - three nominations, and then I can nominate three choices as well. I've counted every time I've participated so far, and I've done as just described. It has apparently been okay, and I hope it still is.

IF 'nomination' means seconding/thirding some book AND suggesting one - all included, I have for the last year completely misunderstood the rules. I hope I haven't. To my mind, nominating and supporting a nomination, is two completely different things.
From the first message:

How Many Nominations Can I Make?
Each participant has 3 nominations. You can nominate a new book for consideration or nominate (second, third) one that has already been nominated by another person.

So, yes, whether you are the first nomination or a second or third it counts as one of your nominations.

I just was never really strict about it. Also, when we don't have as active a nomination month as this one, people doing more than 3 each does help use get a decent number of books to vote for.

So.... no worries... I have counted all the nominations thus far. I was just teasing Kenny for nominating a book about books.

BOb
Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #172
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it's three in all total? It just doesn't make sense -to me - that 'nomination' means both suggesting a book and supporting it.

I'm a rules supporting person - unless the rules seem very restricting or prohibitive of the end result. They do seem here to be, to me. But rules are rules, and I do like to follow them, but now you say it's okay not to. So what are we going to do? If you've waived the rules often, so far, probably they did not fit reality. Perhaps we ought to change them.

Last edited by Ea; 01-22-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #173
kennyc

Let's ask Jon.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #174
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So it's three in all total? It just doesn't make sense -to me - that 'nomination' means both suggesting a book and supporting it.

I'm a rules supporting person - unless the rules seem very restricting or prohibitive of the end result. They do seem here to be, to me. But rules are rules, and I do like to follow them, but now you say it's okay not to. So what are we going to do? If you've waived the rules often, so far, probably they did not fit reality. Perhaps we ought to change them.
I have no problem changing them. as I said, it wasn't strict... I was just trying to keep people from seconding every book mentioned.

But, WHY? Doesn't it make sense to you? You didn't explain that. Why should the first nomination of a book be any different than a second or third?

I would still like to stick with something simple... you have X nominations total... whether it is a first/second/third for that book. I am flexible as to what X should be though... if people don't think 3 is enough.

I also think, as the number of participants grow giving out to many per person would lessen the chance of everyone getting one of their nominations on the list...

BOb
Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #175
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Let's ask Jon.
Umm.. or not. I'm looking for something reliable please.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #176
kennyc

Quote:
Umm.. or not. I'm looking for something reliable please.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #177
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok... let's be nice please.

BOb

Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #178
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
But, WHY? Doesn't it make sense to you? You didn't explain that. Why should the first nomination of a book be any different than a second or third?
Yes, because it doesn't make sense to me. Suggesting a book is not the same as supporting - or, seconding or thirding - a suggested book. It's two completely different actions in thought and deed - at least it is to me. I don't know how to explain it better. Putting something up for vote is different from voting for it.

Added: I really don't know how to explain it better, except: Putting something up for vote is different from voting for it. It's two different things and two different roles you put on to do these things. I hope I make sense.

In any case, so far it has confused me, and I've had the impression, by following the example of others, that I had more than three in total of both nominations as well as supporting nominations of nominated books.

It's probably a fine number, but a number of us seem to be confused, perhaps we should either look at changng the rules or perhaps at least changing the way of communicating those rules.

Last edited by Ea; 01-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #179
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Ok... let's be nice please.
Jon can dish it out. We can, too
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #180
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's probably a fine number, but a number of us seem to be confused, perhaps we should either look at changng the rules or perhaps at least changing the way of communicating those rules.
can you make this clearer then:

How Many Nominations Can I Make?
Each participant has 3 nominations. You can nominate a new book for consideration or nominate (second, third) one that has already been nominated by another person.

Apparently it's not as clear as I thought it was.

BOb