Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Rye James
Rye James began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
The Assassin--$1.99

My name's Rye James and I'm the author of several books (The Assassin, Escape, Bounty Hunter, Deadlock) I'd like to introduce you to The Assassin which I've listed here with the Kindle link and Smashwords (a variety of formats). Hope you enjoy!

Synopsis
Matt Beck is a man hired to eliminate problems. So when the deadliest gunman in the West wanders into an Arizona town, the residents instantly fear one of them has been marked for death. Once Beck arrives, he tangles with the law, a young gunslinger itching to make a reputation on his death, a treacherous preacher, and a gunfighter hired to kill Beck. Through it all, he must protect a secret he's carrying that would surely mark his own death if found out.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Assassin-ebook/dp/B0010Z7NFE

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/5034

Review
"Beck is a classic character straight out of one of the many western movies I grew up watching & loving. "The Assassin" took me right back to those movies. Rye James has a superb grasp of the western genre & it truly shows in his novel. I loved the characters he created & the dialogue that stayed true to the western genre. "The Assassin is an easy to read, fun, page turner. I highly recommend this novel. I look forward to reading another Rye James novel!"
Reader Review

Review
"The genre of Westerns seems to be slowly riding off into the sunset. Westerns had their heyday during the mid twentieth century when Louis Lamour's novels were bestsellers, and everyone watched soon to be classic shows like Gunsmoke and The Rifleman. John Wayne also rained supreme at the box office. Unfortunately, few Westerns appear on bookshelves today. Personally, I enjoy a good Western. That's the main reason I wanted to read Rye James's novel The Assassin. It is a great addition an old genre.

The title refers to protagonist Matt Beck's profession. He is a professional gunslinger. Interestingly, he always kills his victims in self-defense. Beck has his own code for living; it's his way of coping with his unusual career. The reader's first glimpse of Beck's cold nature occurs in the opening scene of the novel when he deals with one of his victims. The man begs for his life, but killing him is just part of the job for Beck. Such a cold man might seem like an unsympathetic protagonist, but Beck is utterly fascinating.

There is an element of mystery in The Assassin. When Beck rides into Galena, Arizona, his reason is unclear. It is a rainy night, so he could simply be seeking shelter. Of course, that is not the reason for Beck's stop in Galena. He has a job in town. That means someone has to die. The question that hangs throughout most of the novel surrounds his victim. Beck doesn't reveal the identity of his target until near the end of the novel. James does a great job of building the suspense around Beck's target. There are several possible victims, and Beck never tips his hand. The most important part of his job is the mind game that comes before the gunfight.

The plot is actually deceptively simple. Beck has a job to complete in Galena. Someone has paid him to kill someone, but no one knows the intended victim's identity. Beck doesn't even know who paid him to do this job until the end of the novel. The identity of Beck's employer provides another element of suspense. In fact, this provides one of the best plot twists in the entire novel. As Beck lingers in Galena, the residents wonder and worry about his intended target. An interesting subplot develops when the mayor hires another gunfighter to kill Beck. The resolution of the situation is reminiscent of an episode of Maverick. The final shootout is thrilling and action-packed. Even though the plot is fairly simple, James has done an excellent job of building and maintaining suspense throughout the novel.

The characters in The Assassin are intriguing. Matt Beck is much more than a gunfighter; he is a very complex character. The potential victims are equally intriguing. Everyone seems to have something to hide in Galena, particularly among the town's elite. Galena is a town where corruption suns rampant, so it is hard to guess who is most likely to be the target. When Beck does finally reveal his target, it doesn't come as a shock. The reason for the job is much more surprising.

The Assassin feels like an old-fashioned Western. It has a solid plot and fascinating characters. Rye James is clearly a fan of the classic Westerns. In The Assassin, he tips his hat to this great American genre."
Cynthia Murphy
Breenibooks.com

www.ryejamesonline.com
Rye James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome, Rye James

Thank you for letting us know about your books. It is especially nice that you are offering them in multiple formats. We are an international forum of many devices and appreciate authors who take that into account.

Have fun exploring our forums and just jump in if you want to know something. A friendly member will answer or point you in the right direction.

We love to support author members who participate in our discussions.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Rye James
Rye James began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Hi Dreams...thanks for the nice welcome. I know everyone reads on different devices whether it be a pc, e-reader, phone so it just makes sense to try and offer it on as many formats as possible. I have been checking out the other forums quietly but will jump in to other discussions shortly! Thanks again.

www.ryejamesonline.com
Rye James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounty hunter, deadlock, rye james, the assassin, western