Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's one of the MOBI books with "content encryption", search in the forums for that and you'll find out how to deDRM it
Thanks. I totally forgot about that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #77
docnesh
docnesh began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Hello all,

Can some one please help me out, Calibre won't launch when I try to run it. I recently upgraded my mac and used apple's "migration assistant" utility to move over all of my apps and settings. When I try to start calibre I get a dialog that says "Cannot access /Users/neshj/Library using /Users/neshj/Library as the Library... and the console window has the following output

5/31/09 1:10:38 PM com.apple.launchd[252] ([0x0-0x66066].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[675]) Exited with exit code: 255
5/31/09 1:12:14 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] link hasn't been detected!
5/31/09 1:12:14 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] link hasn't been detected!
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM calibre[687] calibre Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/Users/jnesheiwat/Library'

An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/Users/jnesheiwat/Library'

5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] Traceback (most recent call last):
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 208, in <module>
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] _run('main.py')
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 135, in _run
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] execfile(path, globals(), globals())
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 1666, in <module>
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] sys.exit(main())
5/31/09 1:13:01 PM [0x0-0x68068].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[687] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 1645, in main
docnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #78
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
First off, I'm not familiar with Macs.

The first thing to double check would be if the file paths have changed? Is the file structure between your old Mac and the new one different? Mac's may have something like the Windows Registry to hold some file path info, but their might also be internal path info in calibre which, having been moved, no longer matches up.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #79
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If /Users/jnesheiwat/Library exists make sure it is not a file, but a directory. If it is a file delete it and create a directory
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #80
docnesh

Quote:
If /Users/jnesheiwat/Library exists make sure it is not a file, but a directory. If it is a file delete it and create a directory
Thanks, that is a good suggestion. I did verify that Library is in fact a directory. In fact it stores state information that a lot of other applications use, and they are all accessing that directory correctly.

I also tried going into Disk Utility and doing a 'repair permissions' just to make sure everything was as it should be.
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #81
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try running calibre from a terminal as

Code:
mkdir -p ~/calibre_library && calibre --with-library ~/calibre_library
If it starts, it will run without icons, etc. So just quit it and restart normally.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #82
docnesh

Quote:
Try running calibre from a terminal as

Code:
mkdir -p ~/calibre_library && calibre --with-library ~/calibre_library
If it starts, it will run without icons, etc. So just quit it and restart normally.
I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate it.

--Jeff
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #83
FredUruncle
FredUruncle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Auto delete of news feeds

It took a while to figure out but Calibre has proven very useful in my quest to move a lot of my ebook collection from my HD to my new Kindle 2 and clean up my library besides.

An especially appreciated find was the news subscription section. The only problem is that I got carried away and daily grab about 20 sites. However, regardless of setting I can't get Calibre to auto-delete the old versions of these things. While deleting them is quick on the computer I tend to sit and delete about 20 of these buggers by hand on the Kindle every day! Kinda stupid and kinda slow (can you tell I'm retired?)! I have the setting selected to delete downloads more than 1 day old. However, it just doesn't seem to do it

Is there a bug here or am I misunderstanding how it works?

It just occurred to me that I left the time for download as midnight exactly. I wonder if this causes a code bug?

Ah well, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated for an otherwise terrific code set.

Thanks
FredUruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredUruncle View Post
Is there a bug here or am I misunderstanding how it works?
No, unless I am mistaken Calibre has no real way to know if you have read the article on your Kindle... so it can't remove it. I assume you mean deleting from the kindle and not your calibre library.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #85
FredUruncle
FredUruncle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No, unless I am mistaken Calibre has no real way to know if you have read the article on your Kindle... so it can't remove it. I assume you mean deleting from the kindle and not your calibre library.

BOb
What I mean is that in the News Fetch setup down near the bottom on the right there is a choice "Delete downloaded news after X days". You have made me think this means it will delete old news from the Library only. My brain had it both deleting from the library AND the Kindle. Since it autoLOADS the news on the Kindle, I made the extrapolation that is also autoDELETED the files from BOTH. This appears to not be true.

I guess this is a new feature request!
FredUruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #86
readdiction
voracious reader
readdiction began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I hope someone can help me with this .......

I had calibre installed on my computer before and it worked just fine. Recently I had to format my computer and when I re-installed calibre, it wouldn't even open! I downloaded the most recent one off the website and followed all the instructions during setup. But right after it apparently finished installing, nothing happened, just my arrow key showing that hourglass. When I tried opening calibre again, a box came up saying I already had calibre opened - and I didn't.
It does come up in the processes section of task manager though and it shows that there are more than one opened (I clicked on the calibre icon a few times).
I tried uninstalling and re-installing a few times. Still nothing.

I'm not very tech-savvy... so did I miss a step? I'd really appreciate any advice, thanksx
readdiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #87
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The first thing to try is to reboot your computer. If that doesn't fix it running the following command in the command prompt

calibre-debug -g

and post any output you see. You can start a command prompt by pressing the windows key and R and then typing cmd and pressing enter
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #88
readdiction
voracious reader

I did reboot my comp but that didn't do anything. I started the command prompt and entered a variation of 'calibre-debug-g'; 'calibre-debug'; and 'calibre-debug -g' but either nothing happened or it said it is not recognized as an internal / external command, operable program or hatch file.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #89
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try first doing

cd "C:\Program Files\calibre"

and then running the calibre-debug command and remove the quotations from the command when typing it

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-02-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #90
readdiction
voracious reader

Okay, I just did that but what happened was:

WARNING: help() not available - check site.py