Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
kougei
kougei began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
New to Sony Reader - Best Approach

Hi all,

My Sony Reader is still on it's way, but I've been reading up in preparation.

Can someone confirm that the approach I've taken is optimal, based on a one-off experiment :-

1. Joined Fictionwise, bought some Micropay credits, and bought one of the range of Star Trek books, which will be my main reading material for awhile, as I've read the whole series in paper format until 2 years ago, and need to catchup with the last 2 years releases

2. Available in E-Reader, Mobipocket, Microsoft, or Adobe. Chose Mobipocket as the most widely supported format, for the future

3. Downloaded some well hidden obscure scripts, and with slippery ease of a Python, had the book freed from it's chains

4. Imported into Calibre, edited the Metadata, browsed for the Cover, and converted to LRF, used all settings as default.

5. Viewed fine in Calibre, so hoping this will be easy to transfer to my Reader when it arrives.

It all seemed very straightforward, so question is, is Mobipocket the best format based on the formats mentioned above, and is there anything I'm missing, as regards the simple process above for when I start with the actual reader device in earnest.

Thanks in advance for any advice, here
kougei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kougei View Post
and is there anything I'm missing, as regards the simple process above for when I start with the actual reader device in earnest.

Thanks in advance for any advice, here
Nope... you are right on track.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kougei View Post
It all seemed very straightforward, so question is, is Mobipocket the best format based on the formats mentioned above
Honestly, I prefer Microsoft LIT. This is of course a matter of personal preference. It can also be liberated, by way of ConvertLIT. Calibre accepts it as an input format too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Microsoft LIT is better IMO. It can also be liberated, by way of ConvertLIT. Calibre accepts it as an input format too.
What makes it "better"? Also, it is not possible to d/l protected lit files on a Mac.

BOb
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What makes it "better"? Also, it is not possible to d/l protected lit files on a Mac.
The moment I posted that message, I asked that myself. So I edited the post accordingly. It seems you were a moment faster.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Lit files support html 4+css (only html 3.2 for mobi), so a well made lit file has more advanced typographical features that create a better looking ebook. Some (more if you ocnert to epub) of these features are preseverd by a calibre conversion. Of courrse, most lit files are not well made so YMMV
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Using Parallels 4.0, it's incredibly easy to run IE on the Mac. My wife frequently launches an IE shortcut on the dock and has no idea that she's actually running Windows in a VM.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Using Parallels 4.0, it's incredibly easy to run IE on the Mac. My wife frequently launches an IE shortcut on the dock and has no idea that she's actually running Windows in a VM.
Sure... it's "easy" but it isn't free. I personally have Fusion. But, Fusion or Parallels plus Windows (legally) is about a $300 prospect. Not really worth it to just download some ebooks. I would just say d/l mobi books and use mobidedrm which runs fine on Mac.

BOB
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
I'm also a newbie - to all ereaders -- and I have a Sony 505 on its way. Tech issues generally sound foreign to me, so please excuse me if my questions sound stupid. I was fully prepared to use sites like fictionwise to buy my books for use on the Sony so I didn't have to rely only on the Sony store for new releases; I thought I'd follow instructions from boards such as this and convert either mobipocket or microsoft reader files into something readable for the 505. But does such conversion necessarily strips the DRM protection of the ebook that I buy? If so, the DMCA prohibits it, right? Is there a way to convert one format into another without stripping the DRM?
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Scotch

It depends on the country and the laws applied in it.

General speaking, the answers are:

1 - if the original is DRM protected, yes;
2 - yes;
3 - no [if the base situation is the one pointed in (1)].
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are in the USA, LIT is way better then Mobipocket for one simple reason. It is 100% legal to strip the DRM frm LIT as stated under the DMCA. The exception allows this because DRM for LIT prevents the read aloud feature from working. Stripping the DRM is the only way to get it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
Thanks for the replies. This is a tough one for me. On the one hand, I try to be law abiding. On the other hand, it is frustrating that I own some DRM'd ebooks on MS Reader and Mobipocket, which I bought to experiment with the ebook concept even though I only read them on my laptop, and I can't read them on my new Sony reader. I've been thinking about this for days and I found myself reading threads late into last night to see how one goes about converting the Reader and Mobi files. [Sigh.]
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote