Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Infocom on Kindle Fire HD

I'm a fan of the old Infocom interactive fiction series and have 24 of the works of Infocom neatly shelved. I stumbled across a way to read them on my Kindle Fire HD and decided to share the information in case there are other Infocom addicts watching.

When I first got my KFHD I tried using the Z-machine called Twisty but it doesn't work right on my KF. I gave up for awhile until I found ZMPP on the Amazon App store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oce_digital

It comes with Mini Zork I. The really good news was when I discovered that my old Infocom games read fine when I sideloaded the <game>.dat file in the ZMPP\Stories folder on the KFHD.

You can still find copies of The Lost Treasures of Infocom. Many of the stories were published in that format.

Last edited by 6charlong; 03-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Thank you for posting this. It installs on all fires, btw, and seems to be pretty easy to navigate.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Sorry for the bump, but my own post got me thinking about the reissued Infocom games. There is an interesting IOS implementation available on iTunes. It looks like Zork I is included with the app. They are apparently selling the other games again too. Unfortunately this is only available for Apple.

Here are two articles about the rethought IOS interface for Interactive Fiction:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/act...s-devices.html

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...rground-empire

Help with solutions (in case you get stuck with one of the puzzles) can be found by googling "Infocom game cheats."

The method described in the OP works on the Kindle Fire as long as you can find the .dat files for the rest of the Infocom collection but the new interface take advantage of the hardware better. I'm hoping it will be coming along in a version we can use on the Fire.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote