Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Secure Mobipocket Decoder is no more...

Hi there,

Well, as some of you already know I had to take down my web page with the decoder on it because I received a take-down letter from a Dutch law-firm which was hired by Mobipocket France.

As a result I will probably face huge lawyer bills in the near future and since I'm un-employed at the moment that will be really troublesome.

I noticed that, according to my logfiles, 1000's of people downloaded it, which is nice, so people can start giving it to each other. What I really don't understand is the fact that I spent a better part of a week on it (no work -> lots of time) and I asked for donations and nobody, really nobody bothered to do just that. No, I don't want large sums, but if everyone just had sent me a buck or two it would have been nice...

Aenea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Letter.png
Views:	1660
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	5830  
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Wow, this really sucks. My Dutch is a bit rusty, what did they actually specify as the offence? I don't think that you had any copyrighted code over there and AFAIK breaking DRM is not illegal in EU yet. I suggest you to contact EFF, they should be able to help you.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I missed the request for donations. How do you want to receive them?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I missed it too. How can I donate?
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Wow, this really sucks. My Dutch is a bit rusty, what did they actually specify as the offence? I don't think that you had any copyrighted code over there and AFAIK breaking DRM is not illegal in EU yet. I suggest you to contact EFF, they should be able to help you.
Well, apparantly there's a new law in the Netherlands since a year which kinda specifies that you are not allowed to provide any tool to circumvent a DRM. But the text is pretty vague and has never been tested in court, but I might be the damn test case....

Aenea
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Aenea
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I missed the request for donations. How do you want to receive them?
People never read README's huh?

Well, the only way I know is thru PayPal at alysa@xs4all.nl

Aenea

Last edited by Aenea; 09-26-2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typo...
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I haven't even installed your code, I just wanted to know how to help.

Do you actually have a summons to appear in court?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Aenea
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I haven't even installed your code, I just wanted to know how to help.

Do you actually have a summons to appear in court?
Nope, not yet, they are pretty quiet at the moment, I really hope it won't get that far.
Thanks for your support though!

Aenea
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I didn't use your code either.
Regarding the likelihood of further legal action, I don't think they will proceed or bother you anymore. Just let them know you have complied.
It is terribly expensive to litigate abroad. (hell, it's expensive to litigate everywhere).

Thanks for your work and dedication Aenea.

Last edited by BKeeper; 12-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
... I really hope it won't get that far.
The fact that you complied with the demand to remove the tool ought to help, hopefully they want a test case where the defendant tells them to stick it. They usually want iron-clad, can't be lost cases for that sort of thing. Here's hoping.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Very sorry to hear this, it came in very handy (v3 that I tried). *cough*Would anyone be able to PM me a copy of the most recent version*cough*
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Version 0.4 has no more functionality then 0.3. 0.4 was just written so it used no code from iRex and you had to already have the jar files from the Java MobiPocket reader for it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

This situation is unfortunate.

I myself just use Isilo on my pad for reading books and such so had no need for this tool you assembled.

Publishers need to realize they would sell more books if they forgo the DRM that they insist discourage piracy.

In reality, it just discourages the adoption of a format that has had difficulty being accepted already.

David
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
catter
catter began at the beginning.

Device: N800
Availability

Hi there,

I'm also very interested to get rid of the DRM in my (legally obtained) Mobipocket ebooks.

Has anybody still a copy of mb-04.zip?

I could upload it to a anonymous filehoster like rapidshare to help it spread.

I was not able to find it in file sharing networks either.

Thanks so far...
catter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that use of such software is a criminal offence in some countries, including the United States. Please ensure that it is legal for you to use such a tool before doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoder, drm, mobipocket