Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Thumbs up FIGHTING FANTASY BOOKS

Hi Everyone,
JUST A QUESTION

I recently bought a book from connect store (alpha & Omaga very good book)
and i noticed that i can highlight certain words in book on my reader and when press button it takes me too the page in reference

does anyone know what prgram does this?

I only ask because i have a large collection of all the old fighting fantasy & choose your own adventure books in ebook format

if you want to go left turn to page 232
or straight on turn to page 93

tha sort of thing, it must be possible in some way to highlight these bits and have your reader take you the page you wnat instead of looking for it in your toc

can anyone help?

i'll be the weird geezer on the bus with his reader and 2 dice

used to love them books

any help?
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like ordinary "hyperlinks" within the book. Any of the book creation tools that we use (Book Designer, Libprs500, etc) support those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
andyafro
Connoisseur

book designer does this?

how is it done?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the "Notes and Links" feature. Please refer to the BD help, or see my BD tutorial for more information. Basically, you mark the place that you want to jump to as a "Note", and then add "Links" to it from elsewhere in the book.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
book designer does this?

how is it done?
Use the 'notes and links' option in the edit menu.

Harry's BD tutorial has very clear instructions on how to set up notes and links.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
andyafro
Connoisseur

Thanks

though it will take ages to edit and make a book like this
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
What books do you have? Are they available as ebooks anywhere? As a kid I used to love these books, but I especially enjoyed J.H. Brennan's Grailquest, which was kind of a parody of fighting fantasy books. What memories! Apparently he is now writing weird stuff about occultism.

Last edited by Andanzas; 08-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
andyafro
Connoisseur

for free gamebooks and choose your own adventure stuff goto

http://www.the-underdogs.info/showbook.php?id=7
Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Garth Nix has a very funny parody of these books at his website: Down to the Scum Quarter
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This would be pretty darn cool (I was a major choose-your-own-adventure groupie back when they first came out!), but I cannot imagine how much work would be involved to make all the links yourself within BookDesigner, or anything else for that matter. Are the HTML versions already compiled and easily converted to Reader-format?
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If there are HTML versions, with the links already present, BD will convert them automatically and preserve the links.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
andyafro
Connoisseur

gamebook ebook market

most of my gamebooks are pdf's and most i got free from the site i posted earlier, at some point i will start a project to convert them because i think they would be a cool thing to have on my reader and i would play them all the time and if anything i think the people that made them books in the 80's (i loved them as a kid) should really think about ebook gamebooks, i hear they a venturing into the psp market, they should really be looking this way. i think its more of an ebook thing myself, there would be a better market for them here. plus you could have adult themes and allsorts now not just the dungeons, wizards, demons and dragons stuff

i have one html gamebook in my collection that i have found, i have emailed the man who wrote it anyway, i think it was something he posted a while back so i hope what i have posted is allowed to stay if anything to see what people can do with it.

i know all you kids from the 80's love this stuff

its already got links and stuff so good luck with it

hopefully the best edit will be posted for everyone
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar The Horror of Craggen Rock.rar
Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please can you confirm that you have the permission of the copyright holder to post this. Until we get confirmation, I have temporarily unapproved the attachment.

This really belongs in the "Book Uploads" forum, not here. If you get the copyright approval, I'll move it to that section.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
andyafro, assuming you also like interactive fiction (e.g. Zork) you might someday want to look at getting an iLiad or similar. You can play IF games on the iLiad, thanks to a recent port. (Or, if you have a Palm device, there are IF interpreters for those, too.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
(Or, if you have a Palm device, there are IF interpreters for those, too.)
And Pocket PCs, too.