Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle books have now overtaken paperback books in Amazon

I just got a notification on Facebook (from Amazon page) that Amazon is officially announcing that Kindle books have now overtaken paperback books as most popular format on Amazon.com.

Could that be true, or just a way to boost ebook sales?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I just got a notification on Facebook (from Amazon page) that Amazon is officially announcing that Kindle books have now overtaken paperback books as most popular format on Amazon.com.

Could that be true, or just a way to boost ebook sales?
It might well be true, if you include 'sales' of free ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I STILL have not seen anyone with an ebook reader of any kind in public, besides me of course. So I'm skeptical of these claims. But hey, maybe everybody is reading kindle on their phones
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What would be interesting to know is if this is universal or just in the US. So far I've discovered that the Kindle or ereaders in general have not yet picked up in certain countries. Here at home in Montreal, several people have told me that they're still into the old-fashioned paperback/hardcover.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
What would be interesting to know is if this is universal or just in the US. So far I've discovered that the Kindle or ereaders in general have not yet picked up in certain countries. Here at home in Montreal, several people have told me that they're still into the old-fashioned paperback/hardcover.
Well, let me tell you this ... ... I traveled this December to see my mom and family in South America, and my Kindle 3 was like an "ET" or kind of alien for most people there. Even in the airplane people asked me about what was that.

I would say is just in US, but I could be wrong.
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Good point!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well, let me tell you this ... ... I traveled this December to see my mom and family in South America, and my Kindle 3 was like an "ET" or kind of alien for most people there. Even in the airplane people asked me about what was that.

I would say is just in US, but I could be wrong.
LOLOL. My thoughts exactly. I was in Barbados last September and told my family and friends that my novel was coming out as an ebook. They didn't know what an ebook was. They've never heard of Kindle. I'm not surprised because it would probably cost close to $500 if they were to sell it down there.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
In their Press Release they stated it didn't include sales of Free Kindle books but it does include paper books that have no Kindle Edition. If you include Free books the gap is even wider.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

@Russell,

Sad, but the price of a Kindle DX is what the min wage in my country is, for a month!. We all are lucky than regardless of the brand, we can enjoy our devices and read.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I take it back. It is only for US sales, but they aren't including free ebooks, and they're not just including books available in Kindle editions.

The actual press release says:

Quote:
Amazon.com is now selling more Kindle books than paperback books. Since the beginning of the year, for every 100 paperback books Amazon has sold, the Company has sold 115 Kindle books. Additionally, during this same time period the Company has sold three times as many Kindle books as hardcover books. This is across Amazon.com's entire U.S. book business and includes sales of books where there is no Kindle edition. Free Kindle books are excluded and if included would make the numbers even higher.
From the figures they give, their unit volumes are:
15% hardbacks
40% paperbacks
45% kindle ebooks

Of course, by value I'd expect that bot hardbacks and paperbacks are more than kindle ebooks. But it certainly seems that by volume Kindle ebooks will soon sell more at Amazon US than hardbacks and paperbacks combined.

It's anyone's guess when ebooks will outstrip either hardbacks or paperbacks by value. No doubt Amazon will tell us when that happens.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

I wonder what the B&N numbers are.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I STILL have not seen anyone with an ebook reader of any kind in public, besides me of course. So I'm skeptical of these claims. But hey, maybe everybody is reading kindle on their phones
I live in Denver and take the bus pretty much everyday. Even though I don't always take the same bus, I always see at least one (if not two or three) people with a Kindle (mostly 2s and 3s).
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I think this partly tells us about the demographic that Amazon sells to. I bet the numbers are nowhere close to this at, say, Barnes and Noble, because they have the bricks and mortar stores that most people are buying from.

Anyone know what percentage of the US book market Amazon holds over all? I'm betting it's not that high.

And yes, e-book readers are still a pretty rare sight "in the wild". There's been a big change over the last 18 months since I bought my first reader, though -- I'm no longer getting frequent insane curiosity from people when I bring it out.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Theres also a whole lot of people from other countries that are buying in the US store for various reasons (price, availability etc) so thats going to sway the data a bit.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I take it back. It is only for US sales, but they aren't including free ebooks, and they're not just including books available in Kindle editions.

The actual press release says:

From the figures they give, their unit volumes are:
15% hardbacks
40% paperbacks
45% kindle ebooks

Of course, by value I'd expect that bot hardbacks and paperbacks are more than kindle ebooks. But it certainly seems that by volume Kindle ebooks will soon sell more at Amazon US than hardbacks and paperbacks combined.

It's anyone's guess when ebooks will outstrip either hardbacks or paperbacks by value. No doubt Amazon will tell us when that happens.
Pretty impressive. Isn't it about time Amazon drops the k3 down to $99 ? Okay, I'm not saying that's good business, just good for me
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote