Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #61
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm sorry, but Open Office is a closed program. It will not run on a VAX running VMS. So it's no good. It's too closed. Do you have something that will run on a VAX with VMS to make ebooks. If not, I'm afraid, what you have is closed. I hope you know that you've chosen to use a closed program. It cannot run on a VAX with XMS, then well, it's just a closed format.
I debated responding to this since it simply drips of ignorance.

You might want to check out the Wikipedia page.
(Open Office does run on VMS.)

And, unlike the MobiPocket format, the OpenDocument format is an international standard and published for anyone to see.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I debated responding to this since it simply drips of ignorance.

You might want to check out the Wikipedia page.
(Open Office does run on VMS.)

And, unlike the MobiPocket format, the OpenDocument format is an international standard and published for anyone to see.
Sorry, OpenVMS is not the same as VMS.

Well vvv has figured out how to write MobiPocket format book with Book Designer, so it can be figured out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #63
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Mobipocket is the palmdoc format with a few extra tags (documented on their website) and sometimes proprietary compression and/or encryption added. It's not the evil you make it out to be.
Palmdoc format is a plain ASCII text file, compressed with RLE compression for an approximate 40% space savings. It was originated by Aportis for their Aportis Reader program, back in the days when Palm OS devices had 2 - 8MB of RAM and no expansion storage capability, so saving RAM was highly desireable. Aportis went out of business years ago, but the doc format was reverse engineered and is widely supported. MobiReader for Palm will read Palm doc files as well as it's own format. So will eReader, which uses Palm Markup Language, originated by Peanut Press.

Mobi takes text formatted with their markup language and puts in in a Palm Database. That's not the same thing as Palmdoc.
______
Denis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 08-21-2007 at 09:13 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #64
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm sorry, but Open Office is a closed program. It will not run on a VAX running VMS. So it's no good. It's too closed. Do you have something that will run on a VAX with VMS to make ebooks. If not, I'm afraid, what you have is closed. I hope you know that you've chosen to use a closed program. It cannot run on a VAX with XMS, then well, it's just a closed format.
Open Office has a port to OpenVMS. According to HP (who now have the former DEC VMS/OpenVMS operations), user-mode code for VMS should run on OpenVMS. Privileged-mode mode code may require changes and relinking. (I haven't logged time on a VAX since before OpenVMS existed, and have no idea offhand if Open Office on OpenVMS does anything that requires privileged-mode.)

If it in fact doesn't run on VMS but does run on OpenVMS, hey, the source is available. It should be possible to get it to run on VMS. All that is required is someone with the development environment and a need great enough to justify the effort.

And since the format for Open Office documents is documented, it should be possible to create VMS applications that can read/write them, even if Open Office itself isn't available.

If you want to pick fine enough nits, you can claim any format isn't open, since there will be some platform that won't be able to read it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
If you want to pick fine enough nits, you can claim any format isn't open, since there will be some platform that won't be able to read it.
______
Dennis
I'm just picking the same sorts of nits that rlauzon is picking with his arguments. It's just too easy to find a platform that doesn't have something other platform(s) do.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #66
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
I'm just picking the same sorts of nits that rlauzon is picking with his arguments. It's just too easy to find a platform that doesn't have something other platform(s) do.
And (as usual it seems) you completely missed my point in doing so.

Any eBook format must be:
1. Open - meaning that it should be able to be converted to any other format.
2. Standard - meaning that the full specifications are documented.

If an eBook is not open and standard, then it is worth less than the paper version. It is, in effect, a leased book because, at some point, it will not be readable.

Since we seem to be focusing on the MobiPocket format lately, I've been picking on that format.

The MobiPocket reader supports 2 formats: HTML in a PalmDOC format and the MobiPocket format based on Open eBook standard (but using a closed, proprietary file system to store the files).

Currently, the only way to make a MobiPocket eBook is by using the closed, proprietary software that MobiPocket provides. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to reverse a MobiPocket eBook (i.e. turn it back into the Open eBook files).

This makes MobiPocket a poor choice for eBooks.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #67
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Currently, the only way to make a MobiPocket eBook is by using the closed, proprietary software that MobiPocket provides. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to reverse a MobiPocket eBook (i.e. turn it back into the Open eBook files).
Actually for non-drm'ed Mobipocket, BD should convert it; I used to be able to do it before Fbreader read unencrypted Mobipocket, but since then I never bothered; actually I sometimes do the reverse, take a lit book, convert it to .opf and then make it Mobipocket for my 770 since even though Fbreader reads .opf, sometimes it misses stuff like footnotes that it does not in Mobipocket.
I kind of like both Mobipocket and MsLit as long as they are not encrypted, but I still loathe pdf as an ebook format.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #68
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I can't stand DRM, and have said so many times in my short time on this forum. I believe it's a parasite that the nascent eBook industry can't afford as it fails in its stated goal of copy protection and puts obstacles in the way of the honest customer. At the very least I find the presence of DRM to be a value reducer. I also dislike PDF as a reading format. It's a printing format, pure and simple.

I don't mind mobipocket, their .prc container works well with uBook which is my preferred reader, and it's easy to convert things to it. It may be proprietary but it fulfills my needs.

As to eBooks, I buy Baen or multi-format from Fictionwise. The only way to get the products we want is to vote with open wallets. If I only buy unencrypted eBooks, and turn down the secure formats even when they are free that provides people like Fictionwise with ammunition. They can go to publishers and say that people spend more money on unencrypted eBooks, and if they provide theirs in multi-format sales will go up.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you have say two eink devices, a Sony and an iLiad, you buy books in BBeB & MobiPocket and can read on either device. One device say fails to work and goes off for warrenty repair, there goes reading on that device the books you bough as your DRM prevents converting over for the other device. DRM, screw you!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #70
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
T

Nonsense. The leading DRM format for eBooks is MobiPocket, and that certainly hasn't been broken.

Past tense now!!
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nonsense. The leading DRM format for eBooks is MobiPocket, and that certainly hasn't been broken.
MobiPocket's DRM has been broken, LIT has been broken, Adobe's DRM has been broken.. The only DRM that's as of yet unbroken is BBeB and eReader. It's just a matter of time until they are busted.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #72
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or perhaps Sony'll shift from BBeB to .EPUB. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Or perhaps Sony'll shift from BBeB to .EPUB. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?
But will Digital Editions support DRM?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I thought it already did.

Adobe supports DRM in PDF, I don't know why they wouldn't for DE. But that's not a definite answer.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #75
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
And don't forget if that's all you order from Amazon, you'll get charged $3.99 for shipping. So the price really is $19.99.
I don't remember the last time I paid for ANY shipping from Amazon.com. I always bump up my orders to $25 and get the free shipping.

Occasionally I'll buy from Amazon.co.uk so I'll pay for the air-mail shipping, but domestically, not for 2 or 3 years! (occasional Marketplace orders aside).
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote