Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
USE_ALT_FONTS problem/question

Hi all. I recently did the USE_ALT_FONTS hack.

Everything was working great until I decided to delete one set of fonts and add another. After I did that when I opened a book, any book without an embeded font, the KPW would reboot. I removed the USE_ALT_FONTS but the problem did not go away so I had to reinstall the firmware. That fixed the problem.

Before I reinstall the USE_ALT_FONTS I thought I would check with the wiser community at large if once a font is installed it cannot be removed or if there is something else that I missed. Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Stingo-
I use the USE_ALT_FONTS (hate to call it a hack, more of turning on an available feature) and have added and deleted multiple fonts with no problem. Could it be that you deleted the font you were currently using to read with?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I had this happen.

Next time just put the missing font back in the PW and restart. Then go into a book and change the font you're using to a default font. Now you can remove the font again and it wont auto reboot.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do I have to reboot if I replace a given font family with fonts with the same filenames?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do I have to reboot if I replace a given font family with fonts with the same filenames?
On the Kindle you don't own?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
On the Kindle you don't own?
I don't have to own a Kindle to ask questions. Besides, just because I have access to one sometimes does not mean it's mine. When I next get access to it, I'm going to be working on the font size of Charis SIL because some say it's small and I'm going to try to make it close to the size of default font.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes you do. Every font change requires a restart.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes you do. Every font change requires a restart.
Thanks. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of restarting.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of restarting.
What I do is make several versions of a font and give each one a unique family name. That way I can test them all at the same time without the restarts.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What I do is make several versions of a font and give each one a unique family name. That way I can test them all at the same time without the restarts.
Good idea. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Funny thing was that it happened with every book that I tried to open that did not have embedded fonts. It was easy enough to fix.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Funny thing was that it happened with every book that I tried to open that did not have embedded fonts. It was easy enough to fix.
Right but there was no need to factory reset. Just put the fonts back in that you've deleted next time to fix the issue. Always if you going to delete a font make sure it's not in use!

Some fonts with crash the Paperwhite. I don't why this is. The Nook version of Amasis is one. If you add fonts then the PW goes to restart when trying to access the font menu you know you got a crasher. Remove crashing fonts and restart to fix it.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Right but there was no need to factory reset. Just put the fonts back in that you've deleted next time to fix the issue. Always if you going to delete a font make sure it's not in use!

Some fonts with crash the Paperwhite. I don't why this is. The Nook version of Amasis is one. If you add fonts then the PW goes to restart when trying to access the font menu you know you got a crasher. Remove crashing fonts and restart to fix it.
Yes, I am thinking the same thing. The reason it crashed is not because of the deletion of a font that was in use, but because of adding a bad font. (Bad for the Kindle)

If you delete a font that was in use, it will still be used until you restart. You can still open the aA menu, the deleted font will be blank. If after the restart the font is still missing that was selected, then the Kindle will automatically fall back to Caecilia.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
... then the Kindle will automatically fall back to Caecilia.

I wonder what Caecilia thinks of being the 'fallback' option??
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post

I wonder what Caecilia thinks of being the 'fallback' option??
Poor Caecilia
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote