Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
dlw
dlw began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Pocket eDGe, Nexus (2012), and now an iPad Air (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord77me View Post
The alarms that I set will not go off unless my PE is actually on.
I think you're assuming that some part of the eDGe is somehow on all the time, waiting for an event -- in the same way that a Palm PDA "sleeps" when you turn it off.
As far as I can tell (and I've done limited testing) when the eDGe is off, it's off; and when it's hibernating (suspend mode) it's also off -- unlike my Palm T|X which never really turns off until the battery runs down.

So I don't think there's a solution for this problem.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I appreciate what I've GOT because I remember what I HAD! But I only use about 10% eInk, so my usage profile is quite different. I can see where 5% isn't enough to offset the disadvantage. Maybe a separate Kindle-type device is in order?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
joie
joie began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Question charging the pocket eDGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
The battery on my PE seems to last pretty much all day with normal use, and it isn't a huge imposition to carry around the small original charger now that I've cobbled-together several others that stay plugged in (sorry eco-nuts!).
Would you share what types of chargers you "cobbled-together" to achieve this end? I'd like to have a charger at work, as well as at home. Maybe in the car, too?https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/confused.gif

Thank you!

joie

If you're not living on the eDGe, you're taking up too much space.
joie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
dlw

Power widget? What power widget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
The other option is to add the power widget to the home screen(you can add widgets by tapping and holding on the home screen), the widget has an option to turn off the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I have the Power widget on my homescreen and use it all the time.
What is this power widget of which you speak? I've looked everywhere on my PE. What am I missing?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw View Post
What is this power widget of which you speak? I've looked everywhere on my PE. What am I missing?
when you are on the home screen press and hold somewhere with no icon, then tap widgets then tap Power Control(you may need to scroll down a bit).
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
dlw

Thanks, emusan -- found it and it works. Lots of other new toys to try out, too.

Looks like I have a lot to learn: apps spawn widgets, it seems.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw View Post
...apps spawn widgets, it seems.
Not all of them.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #23
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Not all of them.
and not all widgets come from apps...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Would you share what types of chargers you "cobbled-together" to achieve this end?
12 volt DC adapters are possibly the MOST common and I easily found several in my collection that worked while the devices they used to power are long gone. Then I went to the thrift store and got phone power supplies that had the tip that fits the eDGe (took my edge with me), for $1 each.

I didn't care if THAT power supply worked, only the cord and tip!

Then connected the cut-off cord and tip to the good 12 volt power supply, and I get a nice long cord on an "eDGe power supply". Obviously this takes a solder station, solder, shrink tubing and a volt meter to ensure you're not joining the cables backwards.

Sorry if you thought "cobble together" meant I had a part # for a new one. Others have part numbers they've purchased, but those invariably involve those multi-connect tips, so that one power supply can "fit all products" using a slider or selector for the voltage. Those tend to come loose, and the supplies cost from $15 to $29 and tend to be quite large because they have transformers -- they're not "switching" power supplies.

My solution cost me about $1 each, and I found several that were easy to carry because they were designed to provide one voltage and are switching.

It seems the trick to finding the exact one-voltage supply for an eDGe is that the connector is VERY small for 12 volts at 1 amp. Entourage no doubt used that connector because they didn't need that much current, and the body of the receptacle inside the unit is much larger than what you see outside and using a larger receptacle was a space issue.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote