Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Probably because the firmware is mostly unresponsive and clunky.

As far as justification, doing full justification well is actually rather difficult from a programmatic point of view because it requires substitution dictionaries, micro-spacing, etc. Even most browsers do it extremely poorly - usually with just very spacy lines.
ADE does not adjust the spacing. So words that do not fit left justified will still not fit and fully justified. That and because ADE does not do hyphens, it makes for some pretty spacey lines.

The firmware is not clunky and unresponsive. I've seen the 600 and 900 and they are pretty responsive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtspeak View Post
I'm not at all worried about justification tbh, I just want to read.

But I've seen a short video of the 350 and it looks like the glare is still there. I'm hoping it was just the lighting but it doesn't bode well.
You can take photos/video of the 505 and still see light shining off the screen. So that really doesn't say much about the screen quality we get to see the new readers in person.
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #18
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Might have to go down to the Sydney city store and check it out - why oh why couldn't they sell the daily edition?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does look like there won't be a Sony store per se in Australia, just a link to Borders and A&R..
Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
Just tried to preorder the 650 and there is a sales tax added on which brings the total to around $250.00
So the 350 is probably around $200 after tax as well.

I just got a Kindle 3 but I can't stand the whole page number issue and also kindle proprietary format...so this would have been nice but at these prices I'm not sure it is worth it.

I think I'll wait on the reviews.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Intelligent zooming?

Hi:

I have a prs600 and I've found available zooming horrible. I wonder if "when double tapping a collumn while zooming adjusts the zooming to fit the screen" refers to the wide, otherwise reading double collumn papers is quite difficult (I preprocess this media with papercrop)

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes, Sony will have demo units in the SonyStyle stores. There could be some there already. I'll find out from my local store on Friday.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If you check this video on youtube you can see the new models in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elanDX_h8Fg

Last edited by Lupa; 09-03-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupa View Post

Nice video. I sent it to a few friends I told about eInk.
I wish only he knew the proper name of the gadget he talks about. He calls it ereader, when it is eBook reader.
His audience was a bit peculiar. Cat....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Found Quick Start Guide for PRS-950. It says:

Quote:
Your Reader Daily Edition™ comes with these useful features:
* Unplug and unwind
With mobile network or Wi-Fi® connection, you can download ebooks straight to your Reader™ without a computer and take your library on the go.
* 7" e-paper with clear touch screen
With on a high quality screen, all you need is a soft touch to turn page by swiping to turn pages, tap to bookmark, take notes and highlight.
* Font Zoom
Increase or decrease the text size to your preference, or zoom into images to take a closer look.
* Dictionary and Wikipedia®
Simply double-tap a word to read its definition, translate or learn more from Wikipedia’s website.
Read on. There’s so much more.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #26
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupa View Post

The quick among us will notice the cat at 4:29
Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Also Available in NZ

Just letting everyone know that Sony are also going to be selling the new readers in New Zealand.

http://www.sony.co.nz/productcategory/bk-reader

Someone might like to add this to the first post.

(There was a press release about this yesterday)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Also, they'd better have improved their book database handling - the video ad quite proudly states "Store thousands and thousands of books".

I know my PRS-505 starts really slowing down at ~250 books...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Thanks Sherman, added.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #30
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Just letting everyone know that Sony are also going to be selling the new readers in New Zealand.

http://www.sony.co.nz/productcategory/bk-reader

Someone might like to add this to the first post.

(There was a press release about this yesterday)
The first liseuse sold to the land of the short white sheep?

Tags
manuals, shops, specs