Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
prs505 updated firmware and news feed problem

I just updated the prs505 firmware and then used Calibre v.0.4.80 to send the NY times time my prs505. The device now just endlessly formats and restarts, but I cannot not open the file. With the original firmware is would cycle in a similar manner just once, then I could open the times and read (this I thought strange because I was under the assumption that cailbre send the device a .lrf file).

Any advice, help?
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use eBook Library to send the NY Times to your 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
scottsan
Connoisseur

I can't because I use a macbook.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
scottsan
Connoisseur

As an experiment, I just downloaded the New Yorker news feed with calibre and sent it to the prs505, the device formatted it and opened it without a problem. But the NY Times news feed will not stop formatting on the device.
Why does the device need to format at all, when the file that is sent is a .lrf?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
Why does the device need to format at all, when the file that is sent is a .lrf?
From what I gather, the Sony connect software preformats before sending files to the reader. When I load lrf files either directly buy copying files over by USB or by using Calibre, it always comes up with "formatting" on first open (it should not reset the reader, BTW)

I would also say that the feed you are trying to load might have some unexpected content that causes the reader to hang. Try rolling a feed again in a few hours to see if the problem persists?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
scottsan
Connoisseur

as an update I report that today I used calibre to download the NY Times, and it formatted and opened quite norrmaly on the prs505. Apparently the feed on Sunday was some how defective.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
scottsan
Connoisseur

same problem again today after downloading the sunday ny time news feed.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
rapope
rapope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is the NY Times Available ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use eBook Library to send the NY Times to your 505.

Are you saying that the NY Times is available as a feed from within eBook Library? Or are you suggesting something else? I didn't see the Times available as a feed.

Regards,

Rocky
rapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre has the NY Times feed. But if there is an issue paginating it using the 505 directly, try Ebook Library to move the NY Times to it as it will be prepaginated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Basically, the LRF file is too large and the PRS-505 can't paginate the file? It's the equivalent of the problem with large XML flows in ePub on the 505, but for LRF...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
rapope

OK, I Understand...

OK, I understand. It helps when I actually read the message, instead of merely skimming the content.

I just have to identify the file that Calibre writes, and use eBook Library to move the file to the device.

I have been able to read the NY Times on the PRS-505, but it takes a reboot of the device in order to read the document. And for whatever reason, the Sunday Times hasn't worked at all. I get the endless formatting reboot loop.

Thanks,

Rocky
Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
rapope

Exclamation Problem...

Hi,

I grabbed the NY Times feed using Calibre and imported the .lrf file into the Sony eBook Library. I then moved the file (dragged and dropped) onto the PRS-505.

When I opened the book, it didn't format the document but there was only one page! The file showed the same size on the device as it did on the host computer. I was even able to view the document from the reader using the eBook Library software. But it shows up as only one page when viewed directly on reader.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rocky