Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
^^^sigh...another one....cripes...we all KNOW this already, why do people spend hours every day droning on with the same diatribe? Everything you mention has been done TO DEATH here already...I don't flipping care about what is out TODAY...oh, just freaking never mind.

BTW, in case it's not obvious, for the vast majority of people here...this ain't our first rodeo, lil' cowboy...and the lecture straight out of the book is not the idea here.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Everything you mention has been done TO DEATH here already...I don't flipping care about what is out TODAY...oh, just freaking never mind.

BTW, in case it's not obvious, for the vast majority of people here...this ain't our first rodeo, lil' cowboy...and the lecture straight out of the book is not the idea here.
In future, please let us know what ideas we are allowed to post in your thread. That way people won't share opinions/ideas that you don't think are appropriate.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I still think it makes more sense for Sony to buy Netflix, unless Amazon's goal is to keep someone like Sony from getting it. Amazon does already have streaming infrastructure in place, and experience with both server farms and Web services. And, of course, no one does shipping and inventory control better than they do. But they don't necessarily need to buy the expertise and infrastructure. All they need are the license agreements.

Sony, on the other hand, doesn't have any of the infrastructure in place. What they do have, though, is the rest of the entertainment spectrum covered end-to-end. They already have a relationship with Netflix both as a customer and as a content provider, and it would be a snap to include preferential support for Netflix in all their devices like TVs, Blu-ray players, PS3s, and some variation on the Video Walkman.

Of course, I've always been good at spending other people's money. Frankly, Netflix would be a good buy for anyone in the consumer electronics business.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I hope nobody buys them. I've been a customer for a long time, and think they do a great job. I'm worried that if some big name company (Sony, Amazon, etc) buys them out, they'll only screw it up.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Personally, I hope nobody buys them. I've been a customer for a long time, and think they do a great job. I'm worried that if some big name company (Sony, Amazon, etc) buys them out, they'll only screw it up.
Well, so far they've been pretty hands off with Zappos-and even adopted part of Zappos awesome policy of free shipping and returns for their new Amazon Denim store. But, yeah..there is something cool about companies like Netflix staying independent.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I'd suspect nothing would change with Netflix if they bought them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Only thing I'd worry about is if they started adding a fee for the Streaming. But I think that's inevitable to happen at some point anyway whether Netflix stay's independent or is bought by someone else.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, I'd suspect nothing would change with Netflix if they bought them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's a nice philosophy, but not one that large companies tend to follow.

I've seen way too many examples of a well run independent company that gets bought out and ruined by a larger corporation.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We'll see...if it happens.

I can't see the disc rental changing. Netflix has the infrastructure, so Amazon wouldn't mess with that. Maybe prices would go up--but I doubt it as they have to stay competitive with Blockbusters mail rental service.

Streaming is again where I see changes to add some fee--but again I think that's inevitable. And it's a nice feature--but even having it built into my X-box I don't use it all that often as I have a hard time keeping up with my one disc at a time and finding time to watch movies I buy. So I could probably do without vs. paying a fee for it.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I can't see the disc rental changing. Netflix has the infrastructure, so Amazon wouldn't mess with that. Maybe prices would go up--but I doubt it as they have to stay competitive with Blockbusters mail rental service.
There are lots of things a company could do to screw with it in order to milk it for profit. Raise prices, lower customer service quality, get rid of the "unlimited" thing. I'm not saying Netflix is perfect, but I could see them being a lot worse.

As far as Blockbuster, once a company with deep pockets owns Netflix they could pull a "Walmart". Lower prices until you put Blockbuster out of business, then start screwing with the service (see above). You'd have plenty of time "owning" the market before another company could build up the infrastructure to compete with you.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard

Like I said, time will tell how it will play out if they do acquire them.

Amazon seems to be relatively handsoff with the other stuff they've acquired as noted above, so I'd be surprised if they made any major tweaks.

But I'm also skeptical of the rumor as I'd think Netflix would be making plenty of money and have little interest in a buyout.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #26
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
^^^sigh...another one....cripes...we all KNOW this already, why do people spend hours every day droning on with the same diatribe?
Should I presume that you never repeat yourself, when a similar topic comes up that you choose to discuss? Somehow I seriously doubt it.

If you want a focused and specific response to your Amazon-Kindle-Netflix only assertions in the start of the thread, since you obviously missed it:

Amazon had a video-on-demand service up and running about a year before the Kindle appeared. If they planned to integrate a video service into a portable device, there is no reason why they'd have to wait until they acquire Netflix to do so. They would've done so by now, if not from the start.

And as already noted, it'd be fairly easy for Amazon to port their software to a tablet PC; same for Netflix, if the device uses some form of IE.

Separately, Bezos has made it fairly clear that while they're willing to try and support as many platforms as possible, he sees a future in a focused epaper-type device just for reading.

So in short, even if Amazon did buy Netflix, it's not going to affect the devices, and almost certain not to radically change the Kindle.

As such, I don't see any particular implications for the ebook market as a result of someone (anyone) buying Netflix.

Kapish?

P.S., it's somewhat inappropriate to introduce a topic which includes X, then say "let's not discuss X," then spend 2 paragraphs discussing X, then slam someone for the temerity to disagree with you about X. It kinda takes the sting out of your attempted chastising....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote