Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Shels
Shels began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Keyboard - SIM Card

Due to financial reasons I am having to purchase a USED Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 3G from a reseller. The reseller is very clear that the Kindle does not come with a SIM Card. Can you tell me what this means? (I am not technical at all). My intent is to now have 2 Kindles, both registered to my current account but I will need the USED one to have Wi-Fi & 3G capabilities. Can you tell me what the no SIM card means and what I can do to correct that?
Shels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
edited

Last edited by booklover6; 02-10-2012 at 07:39 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If they've managed to remove the SIM card, you cannot access 3G. Sounds fishy to me. It seems like I read, a while back, about a bunch of people removing the SIM cards, then reselling the Kindles on eBay, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh that doesn't sound good at all. The reseller has opened the Kindle up and taken something out? It is not designed to be opened like that. I would steer clear.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
I would buy one off Craigslist rather than ebay, only because on Craigslist you can meet the person and try it before you buy. Id NEVER buy an electronic if i couldnt try it.

This is how i got my Kindle.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
It could also be his way of saying that it has been blacklisted (e.g. stolen, replaced under warranty and not returned, etc) and has no 3G access.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A possible alternative might be to add books to your sister's Kindle using your computer?
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd be mighty suspicious with that SIM-less Kindle. I agree with the above poster in that I'd rather grab one off Craigslist (or some other similar local-listing) so that I could at least check out the item and make sure it's not blacklisted/stolen/fake/etc.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
A possible alternative might be to add books to your sister's Kindle using your computer?
Not Amazon ebooks, not without the Kindle being on the account. If it is blacklisted, Amazon will not allow it to be registered.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Not Amazon ebooks, not without the Kindle being on the account. If it is blacklisted, Amazon will not allow it to be registered.
Not that that will prevent you from putting Amazon books on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Shels
Shels began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thanks for your help...

Want to thank everyone for your help and comments with this Used Kindle/ SIM card issue. Spoke with the vendor via email a couple of times and decided to take a chance. Still don't really understand the SIM Card issue but got a great, clean, barely used Kindle Keyboard with all features working and ready to register with Amazon. Registering it was a breeze and both the Wi-Fi and the 3G work great. Just wanted to let you know that there is a company out there selling used Kindles at remarkably low prices nextworth.com and gotta say - they were responsive and did a great job!
Thanks again...
Shels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Good to hear that all worked well. I suspect, given the outcome, that this was a case of a seller not really knowing much about the device, and thinking that if it required 3G service that a SIM card had to be provided, which he didn't have (or, at least, didn't realize that he had since it's embedded in the device).

Edit: BTW, who are the people selling them their "old" K3 readers for $13? (that's the trade-in price they offer for a good condition K3 WiFi!)

Last edited by twowheels; 02-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote