Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
ijrobertson
ijrobertson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Battery dying

I made a big mistake buying the prs-505 from ebay - secondhand. The auction said it was as new, and I assumed (stupid me) it hadn't been used much.Since I bought it,I haven't used it all that much, instead I'd read a bit and recharge. Now I see the battery won't last five days. I can get through less than 1k of pages. I feel really dissapointed and ripped off. I should have bought a new one, the difference was not that great. Is there any way to replace the battery on these things?

I really am hating these Li batteries - just recently my laptopbattery died after just 15months use and they say it's normal.pfft.

Last edited by ijrobertson; 02-07-2010 at 12:12 PM.
ijrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Yes, you can replace the battery--check this out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=battery.
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nothing you have said indicates you have a bad battery, or that the 505 is in any way defective. Are you using an external charger or a USB charger?

Also if longer battery life is your main criteria turn the 505 off when you are done reading - not just suspend it. Hold the power switch 5 seconds until it asks do you want to power down.

Is 1000 page turns bad for a 505? I know flashing with EPub support reduced the total somewhat.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Nothing you have said indicates you have a bad battery, or that the 505 is in any way defective. Are you using an external charger or a USB charger?

Also if longer battery life is your main criteria turn the 505 off when you are done reading - not just suspend it. Hold the power switch 5 seconds until it asks do you want to power down.

Is 1000 page turns bad for a 505? I know flashing with EPub support reduced the total somewhat.

Robert
You don't need to fully power it down. I've actually never done it in the year and a half I've had my 505. My battery life isn't what it used to be, I charge it every week or so (heavy use).

As far as I know, it's fairly easy to replace the battery so the OP might want to try it. First I'd recommend using an AC charger just in case, it could be charging poorly via USB.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
How are you charging your reader? Are you using an AC adapter or the USB connector? People have had lots of problems with the USB
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I think that only applies to the 500, and not the 505.
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
SF78
SF78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
I would recommend using suspend instead of shutdown. It seems the full reboot takes more power and I noticed it drained the battery faster if I turned the reader completely off each day. It could be a viable option if you plan on leaving the reader untouched for a while.
SF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
An AC adapter makes all the difference. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It also might take a few (2 or 3) charge/decharge cycles to get the battery in good working order. Also are you listening to music on it? I would let it get down to one bar or so before recharging and then recharing till the red light goes out.

I had two 505's and both needed to be decharged/charged a few times before the battery started holding a good enough charge to last me for weeks.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
A bit off-topic, but does anyone know if rifling through the index of books on the reader, deciding what to read next, runs the battery down? I do this a lot and don't have anything like the page turns mentioned by the OP.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Of course. The reader only uses power to redraw the screens, whether turning pages in a book or flipping through menu screens. Each time it has to redraw the screen, that is one of the "pages" listed in the battery life spec.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Of course. The reader only uses power to redraw the screens, whether turning pages in a book or flipping through menu screens. Each time it has to redraw the screen, that is one of the "pages" listed in the battery life spec.
The other things that seem to drain the battery significantly are the pagination/formatting required by LRF files and, depending upon the specific card/brands in use, use of external memory cards.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Just thought I'd chime in with something. Last night my 505 froze on a book I had just opened. When that happened I had half a battery. 30 minutes later the battery drained (but it unfroze!). An hour on the AC charger and it was as good as new though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Li-ion Batteries also age with time, not just cycle uses. If the battery was manufactured 3 years ago, it may have already lost 30 to 70% of it's original power depending on storage charge level and temperature.

See this for more info : http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
EBooks are computers. Anything that causes the processor to run draws power. Dictionary lookup for example. A BIG on is playing music while you read - the processor never gets to suspend. Make sure you stop the music when you stop reading.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dying, prs-505