Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-15-2003, 12:48 AM   #46
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
Participation

I know I've been away for a long time. I do appreciate a community like this. I am not very tech savvy and sometimes I still feel like a novice. But I will try to be a more active member. Thanks for the nudge!
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #47
qBb
qBb began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T
My problem with this is that I am the archetypical consumer. I have no computer knowledge. I already have all the channels I want. I can imagine that if one or more of them became unavailable I would be desperate to find an alternative url. But my only "contribution" would be actively to ask questions for other people to provide answers to rather than to lurk for information. But I feel uncomfortable being in that position. I can (and already have, as far as I am able) publicise what I think is an excellent solution to my particular problem, which is something that happens outside these forums. I feel as though, in order to express my appreciation, I am forced to post inconsequential meanderings like this, which help nobody. Also, I have never belonged to any forum before. It's confusing enough trying to work out how such things work without feeling compelled to post contentless entries in order to earn merit points.
qBb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2003, 08:14 AM   #48
renbud
Enthusiast
renbud is on a distinguished road

Device: Axim X51v
As somebody whose status was only recently upgraded, I must say I was a bit angry and becoming more and more frustrated the longer I was kept away from "the good stuff." However, after being forced to be active I find that I am feeling more at ease contributing...and not only continue to add to this forum -- but to other forum groups as well. I suppose I liken it to college fraternity initiations or hazing ...though the latter is now illegal in the US. Hmmmmm.......
renbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #49
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
interesting thoughts renbud
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:16 PM   #50
cactusjack
cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.

Device: TT
Hmmm no comment from the forum leaders on this????
cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2003, 11:03 PM   #51
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
There have been some users that have been less than pleased with the probation period, and we appreciate (and read) all coments, but we've stated why we did this and how successful it's been several times, and those reasons haven't changed.

It's not that much of an effort to support the work we do here by thinking and posting a handful of new posts or responses...and it's not out of the norm for forums to restrict initial access.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:37 AM   #52
cactusjack
cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.

Device: TT
Thanks for the resopnse gvtexas its appreciated. While I still stand by my opinion and you shoud to(and do) I would not like to see this forum become a plce of "Thank You's" from people just wanting access. (dont get me wrong many people deserve the thanks)

Seen it happen before on other forums and it can be messy.

Just my 2c nothing more

cheers

Last edited by cactusjack; 06-17-2003 at 10:43 PM.
cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #53
illustratton
illustratton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T665
Upgraded?

So how do we know if we have been upgraded?
illustratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:37 AM   #54
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Re: Upgraded?

Quote:
Originally posted by illustratton
So how do we know if we have been upgraded?
The title under your name will change to "Mobile Geek."
Old 06-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #55
cambium
cambium began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX70V
I have to admit I was a little surprised upon coming to the site and finding I have been blocked. I have been primarily a browser, using the site primarily as a reference for handheld formatted sites since leaving AvantGo and becoming an iSilo user. I will attempt to be a more active contributor where I can.

I also have the same problem that this policy is trying to solve. I run a company that has developed software for handhelds. As part of our services, we offer a user forum where users can log in to get info and share ideas. The bottom line- over 1000 users (and growing) for our product - only 57 users on the forum. When questioned, many of our users don't even know what a forum is!! This may be unrelated but I think there are MANY people who get iSilo, see the link on the main page at iSilo.com to turcic.com and come here seeking reference sites. They may not even know how forums work. I too have thought extensively how to get more participation in our forums....I will watch closely how your experiment here works! :-)

By the way, here is my first contribution... For anybody with medical backrounds...we developed a pharmacy web channel (drug information/dosing etc..) designed to be viewed on handhelds. Called the 'Clinical Toolkit' you can download a iSilo version at http://www.healthprolink.com/product...fcsignup.html. View the channel at www.healthprolink.com/mobile

So....I promise to bookmark the forum and contribute where possible. Can I get upgraded??? Pretty please??? ;-)

Thanks-
cambium
cambium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #56
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
By the way, here is my first contribution... For anybody with medical backrounds...we developed a pharmacy web channel (drug information/dosing etc..) designed to be viewed on handhelds. Called the 'Clinical Toolkit' you can download a iSilo version at http://www.healthprolink.com/product...fcsignup.html. View the channel at www.healthprolink.com/mobile
Very interesting link, cambium! But it will be lost here in this section. Suggest you do another post in the New Links section where folks can find your channel more easily! Upgraded.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 06-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #57
cambium
cambium began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX70V
Thanks Gary! Will do.
cambium
cambium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:25 PM   #58
RockerChick
Enthusiast
RockerChick began at the beginning.

Device: NX70v
Just an FYI - there is a 'grumpy' post in the general forum @ ClieSource about this policy. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's different . . .
RockerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 PM   #59
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RockerChick
Just an FYI - there is a 'grumpy' post in the general forum @ ClieSource about this policy. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's different . . .
As they say in show business, "there's no such thing as bad press." Thanks for the heads up...I posted a soft rebuttal there, but refrained from saying what I really wanted to!

Cheers,
Gary
Old 07-05-2003, 02:39 AM   #60
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
I think I will have more questions than contributions. But if a little light ever goes on in the old gray matter, I will definitely share it here first!
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote