Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
SF short stories - recommendations

I have never really likes short stories. Most of the ones I've read were for school, and I stopped taking lit courses as soon as possible. Once or twice I read anthologies at cottages when it was rainy etc.

Fastforward to my getting my Sony, and getting emails from Fictionwise with "specially selected" stories just for me - I bought Hawksbill Station, because it was trivially cheap, and loved it. Short stories are great on a reader, because you can store lots of them without lugging around a huge book, and are a perfect length to read before bed.

So, any recommendations? I have pretty eclectic tastes, and have read almost no short stories but that one, and an Ellison anthology.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Becoming Elijah by Bob Meads
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook71259.htm

Life Hutch by Harlan Ellison
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook353.htm?cache

Quarks at Appomattox by Charles L. Harness
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1738.htm

Sandkings by George R. R. Martin (Classic, made into an Outer Limits episode)
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook746.htm?cache

Star Child Series by James P. Hogan
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook36735.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook38840.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook38994.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook39085.htm

Kirinyaga stories by Mike Resnick (Read in published order)
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook50.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook312.htm

Anthologies:

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook17842.htm

Year's Best SF
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/Series379.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook31490.htm?cache
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook68153.htm
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Jim Baen's Universe has a lot of strories:
www.baens-universe.com
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
General (mixed author anthologies)

Dangerous Visions - Harlan Ellison

The World Turned Upside Down - Eric Flint - Baen Free Library

Individual Author

The Works of Cornwainer Smith - even the one novel is two novellas, glued together - Baens books (some currently free)

Deathbird Stories - Harlan Ellison
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Shoot, make sure you check out Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks and Manybooks.net. There is a lot of short SF there.. particularly since a lot of the stuff in the pulps from the 30s-though 60 or so didn't have their copyrights renewed. Check out H. Beam Piper (his novels are worth reading as well).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Check out BestScienceFictionStories.com. Each blog entry has a review and lists where the story may be found. Many, if not most, are available somewhere as online texts, which should be easy to convert to your reader's format.

http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I like getting my science fiction short story fix from Escape Pod. It's a podcast, not electronic text, but most of the stories are pretty good, and it is free. Most of the stories are about half an hour long.
http://escapepod.org/
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I second the Baen's Universe and EscapePod. If you like fantasy at all, Fictionwise has one of Jim Hines short stories. I really enjoy most of his work, long and short.

My other favorite source for short fiction is Black Gate -- it's mostly fantasy. They have a downloadable PDF starting with the last issue...Maybe one before that. Black Gate is my favorite magazine.

Another freebie read you might like is online. Beneath Ceaseless Skies. But it's mostly fantasy too, come to think of it.

Maria
Sage: (multiple formats; Amazon or Smashwords--$1.00)
Catch an Honest Thief (Kindle only format: $1.99; a cozy mystery)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
Arthur C. Clarke's complete short story collection is very
hard to beat. Some of the best SF short stories ever written.
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe some of these:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Hugo
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want a physical book, you might also try www.AnthologyBuilder.com You grab whatever stories you want and build a book and then have it shipped to you. I know Eric Flint has at least one story out there. I read one by Nancy Fulda that was a mystery/sci/fi (might be too space opera for you, but it was an *excellent* mystery.)

You can search on science fiction or authors, etc.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Martian Chronicles

Hands down, the best sci-fi short stories I ever read. Ray Bradbury.
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Another really fun place to find short stories (and these are free) is www.towndrunkmag.com

They only put out one or two stories per month, but they focus on humor. My favorite online zine!

(full disclosure: one of my stories has been published in town drunk).

Maria
Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Just the other day I came across this particular website, which has reviews of online content, some of which is available for free: The Fix, Short Fiction Review

The Free SF Reader -- Lots here, will keep you occupied.

These are aggregate review blogs of short SF; there are many ezines out there with free content of varying quality, some of which have long gone into hiatus, but which is still available.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey thanks everyone for those links. Any more? The Short Story is my favorite form of literature and it seems that ebooks (I'm relatively new to this) are focused (as is the world) more on novels than short story collections which I love such as the annual Years Best Science Fiction from Gardner Dozois -- which seems to be available for Kindle but not in epub wtf??

I also buy the annual general fiction - Best American Short Stories, O Henry Prize stories, Pushcart Prize Stories...but don't seem to find them available either. Guess it's just a market/marketing thing. I was thinking, and think I will start a separate thread on short fiction in general and see about what others have found.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote