Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sort of a Ready Player One (minus the nostalgia) mixed with a comedic version of The Rule of Four.
I rather liked 'Ready Player One', but then it was my nostalgia too :-)
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Same here. I really enjoyed Ready Player One. The nostalgia was right in my wheel-house, so to speak. Penumbra reminded me of RPO, but was missing (for me anyway) the same nostalgic connection. Still entertaining, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Some of the early posts in this thread made the book sound interesting, but if it's full of pop culture references and "Duuuuude!" I'm probably too old for it

I wonder if "Dude" is a regional thing. I was in my 20's in the 1980's and don't remember it being popular (I'm in the southeast).

I have no idea what the kids are saying these days....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I wonder if "Dude" is a regional thing. I was in my 20's in the 1980's and don't remember it being popular (I'm in the southeast)
Must've been. I was in my 20s in the '80s in the midwest and "dude" was more popular than "hey" for a time. It was mostly fading by the '80s though.

Quote:
Some of the early posts in this thread made the book sound interesting, but if it's full of pop culture references and "Duuuuude!" I'm probably too old for it
I wouldn't say this book over-does it with pop-culture references. It does get a bit Google-heavy at times, though. And either "Dude" was used pretty sparingly or I'm more OK with duuuude than I might have realized.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm pretty out of pop culture (and am 62) and I didn't find that I was too old for the book.

Normally, I avoid first person and first person present tense is usually right out, but I enjoyed the book (obviously)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ready Player One just went onto my TBR-list. Sounds very interesting.

Last edited by Joy736; 02-26-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #37
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Several people I work with (all over 30) use "dude" on a regular basis. One, a 40-year old woman, even uses "whatevs", "forevs", and similar English atrocities.

Thanks for the recommendation, I picked this up and will read it next.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I'm reading it with Readmill, which is kind of like an online book club. But a much better realisation of a bookclub.

You can share your reading progress and highlights with other people, which is awesome. And the design is nice, and kind of does a lot of the stuff that Kindle seems to be lacking.

Is anyone using Readmill?

--Jo.

Last edited by dreams; 02-28-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: please do not use shortened URL's - moderator
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm pretty out of pop culture (and am 62) and I didn't find that I was too old for the book.

Normally, I avoid first person and first person present tense is usually right out, but I enjoyed the book (obviously)
OK - you've given me hope!
When some of my current holds come through, maybe I'll add this to my Overdrive hold requests.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
OK - you've given me hope!
When some of my current holds come through, maybe I'll add this to my Overdrive hold requests.
In the US it's only available as an audiobook (via Overdrive).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #41
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If you liked Mr. Penumbra, I recommend the non-fiction book The Gutenberg Revolution, by John Man. It's about how Gutenberg developed his printing press, and how printing spread through Europe and the changes it caused. There are byways into history and the popes at the time (who only approved of printing when it printed things they approved of) - anyway, I found it fascinating.

There's also a Kindle Single called Gutenberg the Geek - it's only $0.99, and 20 pages, but it compares the Gutenberg revolution to the internet revolution, and contains some information not in the Gutenberg Revolution.

Anyway, I found both books to be interesting.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Thank you for your original recommendation. I just finished Mr P... ripped through it in two days... terrific book!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just bought this for my next read, thanks for the recommendation, sounds very interesting.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #44
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
The price of this title just dropped to $5.99 at Amazon. Thought others might like to know.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
The price of this title just dropped to $5.99 at Amazon. Thought others might like to know.
NOTE: That's a sale price for this weekend, Amazon is matching B&N so it'll likely go back up once B&N's 50% off sale ends.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote