Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
brandoniain
brandoniain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Renaming LRF files, Editing Metadata?

Hi All,

eReader rookie here. Just got my PRS-700 and have it loaded with a couple hundred books from various places. Mostly manybooks.com, the sony connect store, and the gutenberg project, among others.

I've noticed that even though the actual file seems to be named properly, in Sony's silly little eBook Library software, Title and Author information needs correcting on many books. For some, it's wrong. For others, it's missing entirely. Many just need edits, of course this is just for my anal retentive mind. But I'd rather be reading The Importance of Being Earnest rather than The_Importance_of_Being...

How do I modigy the title and author information for an LRF file? I've searched up and down the mobileread forums and am having a hard time finding help with this.

Thanks much. I look forward to participating more in the MR community.
brandoniain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
First of all, welcome to Mobileread.

About the problem, you can use 'Calibre' to edit the title/author information in LRF. I think you can use GUI but if you are comfortable with command line, you can do something like
Code:
lrf-meta -t "Title of the Book" -a "Author of the book" filename.lrf
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
brandoniain
brandoniain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Calibre does help edit metadata - but it doesn't actually modify the data in the LRF file.

I edited the files info using Calibre, transferred the files out of Calibre using the "save to hard disk" function, and it created a massive folder full of jpeg cover art, actual lrf files, and another file meant to contain the metadata.

Then I imported the lrf files into Sony's eBook Library software and none of my changes were showing up.

I want to actually edit the title and author of an lrf file so that they display correctly in the Sony software and thus on my PRS-700. Is this possible?
brandoniain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoniain View Post
Calibre does help edit metadata - but it doesn't actually modify the data in the LRF file.
I never use GUI so I cannot offer any advice on how to use it properly. However, the command line that I mentioned above actually modifies the information of LRF files. I use the code to fix title and authors all the time, so I would recommend you to try command line approach.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
How exactly do you use command lines though..

I'm a visual and read learner.. but I need exact descriptions about how to use the command lines to actually figure out how to do it.

I'd really love to be able to do this though. I have a LOT of books that need fixing. It drives me mad. Of course they are all nice and pretty in calibre but that doesn't fix things on the reader.
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiSteDCBloSsoM View Post
How exactly do you use command lines though..
Exactly, it depends on what you are doing. Look here on the Wiki for some info and pictures. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I found the editmetedata gui thing.. it saved me.. I don't think I'll ever understand command lines except to use it to get to our server to download something.
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoniain View Post
I want to actually edit the title and author of an lrf file so that they display correctly in the Sony software and thus on my PRS-700. Is this possible?
Not with Sony software. The ebook hardware is nice but the software is useless. It's been this way for years...
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Tagging this as it sounds like what I need. I have a bunch of files with the title in the author field and the author in the title field.

So, unless I want to read "H.G. Wells" by "The Time Machine", I better get modifyhing.

Thanks!
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
Not with Sony software. The ebook hardware is nice but the software is useless. It's been this way for years...
eBook Library is good at what it does. Just because it doesn't edit metadata does not make it useless. Blame whoever made the eBook for not getting the metadata the way you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rename lrf edit metadata