Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
Thumbs down Glo freezes when 2.4.0 f/w download hits 100%?!?

I've tried 3x now and as soon as the download progress for the latest firmware hits 100%, my Glo freezes and the only thing that fixes it is doing a reset using the pin button on the bottom.

Any suggestions???
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post
I've tried 3x now and as soon as the download progress for the latest firmware hits 100%, my Glo freezes and the only thing that fixes it is doing a reset using the pin button on the bottom.

Any suggestions???
You could go to the developers section and manually download the firmware.. The other option is to reset the device with the pin hole method at the bottom of the Glo lower left corner... This method will not erase your library. Then connect again and download the firmware or you could connect to the desktop software allow it to download the firmware. Doing a master reset will erase all content located in the main memory of the device... Books on the sd card will be intact but will be reproccessed into the Glo once the card is reinserted.

Good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
How long are you waiting? My Touch(still can't get it for my Glo) froze at 100% on download for a minute or two, maybe longer, before the message popped up. I just assumed a checksum or the like was being calculated before the system would offer the option of installing the new firmware and waited.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
lollazzo
lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You could go to the developers section and manually download the firmware.. The other option is to reset the device with the pin hole method at the bottom of the Glo lower left corner... This method will not erase your library. Then connect again and download the firmware or you could connect to the desktop software allow it to download the firmware. Doing a master reset will erase all content located in the main memory of the device... Books on the sd card will be intact but will be reproccessed into the Glo once the card is reinserted.

Good luck
tnx friend, I reset my kobo with pin hole method.

Is necessary a master reset?
lollazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollazzo View Post
tnx friend, I reset my kobo with pin hole method.

Is necessary a master reset?
Probably not. You should only do a factory reset if nothing else works. Or for some other reason you want a completely clean device. If the pin-hole reset gets it started again, that should be enough.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Probably not. You should only do a factory reset if nothing else works. Or for some other reason you want a completely clean device. If the pin-hole reset gets it started again, that should be enough.
David is correct, A master reset is only neccesary if the pin hole reset does not work. Again a master reset will erase all books in main memory of the device but not on the sd card. Only use this as a last resort and be prepared to reload all books in main memory. Also if you do a master reset, remove the sd card if you use one so that the device is a clean slate. Once the firmware is updated you can reinsert the sd card to process your books on that card.

Good luck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Yeah, mine is currently stuck (?) during the update, with a black rectangle covering the top part of the screen, where I would otherwise be able to read off the download and install progress. Gonna wait a few minutes to see what happens.

ED.: sorry, relevant further detail, since I did finally manage to get it to work:

(I'm on Mac OS 10.7, my Kobo Glo

First attempt: WIFI:

1. turned on WIFI on Glo, tapped "Sync" icon.
2. Saw message that software is downloading.
3. Now see "echo" of text "downloading software 100%" within black rectangle.
4. Kobo wouldn't respond to touch or power button, so restarted using pinhole.

Second attempt: Kobo Desktop:

5. Connected Glo to Mac via USB, opened Kobo desktop, which prompted to download update of desktop app.
6. Installed desktop update (i.e. replaced app with that from disk image)
7. Restarted Kobo desktop, waited for automatic sync of library.
8. Can't find any option for desktop software to download & install firmware. Nothing except eject the device. Hmm. Maybe this only works under Windows. Bummer.

third attempt:

9. Downloaded .zip file from Developers' corner (here)
10. Unzipped archive & copied contents to Glo root directory.
11. Ejected Glo from Mac, powered Glo off and on again.
12. Didn't update anything. Nothing happened. Glo works, but still on 2.3.1
14. Plugged Glo back into Mac to check data on root. Yeah, it's there.
15. Ejected Glo, turned it off & ejected external SD card for good measure, turned it on again. Still 2.3.1.

fourth attempt: WIFI sync #2:

16. Attempt sync (again) via WIFI.
17. Downloads & prompts to "install now?"
18. Updating - Mise à jour - Aktualisiere - (&c.) ...
19. Gosh, it worked.

Can't explain it, though. Either the fact of the external SD card being in the first (WIFI) try and out the second; or that this was the first ever update of my unit's firmware (was it? Or did it update when I unboxed it? Not sure) and something was wonky; or (totally illogical) the presence of the (apparently useless) sideloaded firmware helped somehow???

Anyway, my recommendation for now, at least if you're on Mac, is to keep trying to update the Glo directly via WIFI, since that in any case seems to be the only method that works at all (unless I made a dumb mistake while sideloading the firmware).

Cheers.

Last edited by goesta; 02-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I do a factory reset with each firmware - the device always seems a bit flaky if I dont.
Synching up everything again is simple enough and doesn't take too long.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
Can't explain it, though. Either the fact of the external SD card being in the first (WIFI) try and out the second; or that this was the first ever update of my unit's firmware (was it? Or did it update when I unboxed it? Not sure) and something was wonky; or (totally illogical) the presence of the (apparently useless) sideloaded firmware helped somehow???
Cheers.
don't know why either, but it isn't based on the sd card....every firmware update didn't work 1st dl by wifi and did the 2nd dl by wifi for me....it always locks up after the 1st dl and doesn't the 2nd time....
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Ok, thanks for confirming the pattern! If it usually/always works second time, that's great to know.

Oh, except, apparently that wasn't justywusty's experience. @justywusty Did you get it to work in the end?

Last edited by goesta; 02-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
When I updated my touch it went off without a hitch. However when I updated my wife's glo and my aunt's touch both froze on the first attempt and required a pinhole reset. The second attempt on both worked fine.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
jclim00
Nameless Being

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my update failed when I wifi synced while reading a book, and it went through when updating from the home screen.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
Yeah, mine is currently stuck (?) during the update, with a black rectangle covering the top part of the screen, where I would otherwise be able to read off the download and install progress. Gonna wait a few minutes to see what happens.

... deleted text ...
10. Unzipped archive & copied contents to Glo root directory.

... deleted text ...

Anyway, my recommendation for now, at least if you're on Mac, is to keep trying to update the Glo directly via WIFI, since that in any case seems to be the only method that works at all (unless I made a dumb mistake while sideloading the firmware).

Cheers.
The firmware upgrade should have been copied into the .kobo directory located in the root of the Kobo's internal storage and not directly into the root. The fun on a Macintosh is that it hides folders with names starting with a . so you need to jump through some hoops to locate the folder.

You can check the URL below for a bit of help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta20623?viewlocale=en_us

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's funny.... I tend to do a lot of the file manipulation on my Kobo from the Windows command line. I often wonder why Mac users don't do this as well; a simple "cd .kobo" will work regardless of the directory being hidden, or a "cp some_file .kobo"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It looks like Kobo has issued new firmware packages for 2.4.0.

Presumably, it will fix this problem.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.4.0, firmware, freezes, glo, reset