Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #46
Indio777
Groupie
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 168
Karma: 1503568
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Device: K3, Nook ST Glow, Nook HD, Nook HD+, Galaxy S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Because of the sale, I'm getting that much closer to owning or having read all of Rendell's books. Thanks, Amazon!

Bought every Jonathan Carroll and James Ellroy title. Coincidentally, I had a hardcover copy of Carroll's Glass Soup arrive today.

On the fence about some of the Nicola Barker books. Haven't read anything by her, but they sound interesting enough. Since you brought it up, I may have to pull the trigger. It's also tough deciding on what to do about all those Dubus books.
Good luck getting all of the Rendell/Vine books. 50+ so far, lol. But from what you say you have read some without owning them. That's what I have done.

Yes, I was very happy to see the Carroll books. I did not have all of them. I considered the Ellroy titles I did not already have, but passed. I had to draw the line somewhere.

Yeah, I did not buy all of the Barker books, but several. Sounded interesting. Based on reviews, many people like her a lot, but many others dislike her a lot. Hopefully I will fall into the former category.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,021
Karma: 14705828
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Roundworld
Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Her two-book series that involves a dragon is much "lighter." First book is Dragonsbane. Yeah, I know, yet another fantasy about dragons. But she adds enough new elements to make it interesting. And still a bit of romance. So if these are on sale again, might consider trying that.
Barbara Hambly is one of my favourite authors, and I quite literally own nearly everything she's written (minus media tie-in novels) in two languages.

However, the "Dragonsbane" series (technically grouped as the Winterlands books) runs to four volumes thus far, and I really, really wouldn't call them "lighter", considering the direction the follow-up trilogy takes. (Basically, if one thought that Darwath sounded too grimdark, the demon queen portion of the Winterlands saga goes much, much grimdarker.)

For prospective readers who want a more optimistic series with more romance-y elements in them, I highly recommend Bride of the Rat God (standalone set in 20s Hollywood), The Windrose Chronicles (80s era computer programmer kidnapped to a Regency-esque magical world) and the standalone sequel (follows a different character in the same world and can be read alone) Stranger at the Wedding, which is an excellent mystery w/strong romantic elements, and the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books, which feature a more classical fantasy setting amidst a mercenary group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Although she is still writing. She basically switched from fantasy to mystery awhile back with her Benjamin January series. The protagonist is a Creole in early nineteenth century New Orleans.

But I see she has recently put out some more titles in her James Asher series. Again nineteenth century, this time in England. Asher is an academic who is also a spy for the British government who ends up working with vampires. Yeah, I know yet MORE vampire books. But her first ones in the series were written years ago (80s?), well before the current vampire craze. I thought they were quite good. Perhaps the more recent titles are in response to the vampire craze. I haven't read them, so no idea as to how good they are.
They're still quite good, although some of the story direction has gone in a way I wouldn't have thought it would have after the original books.

The Asher & Ysidro novels got picked up not because of the vampire craze recurrence (or at least not solely because of that), but because Hambly's Benjamin January novels (excellent and recommended to those who haven't tried them before) have done so well with the sales in their Severn House revival that the new publisher which is known for doing mainly mysteries went and offered a contract to pick up and continue the Asher books because they were her most mystery/suspense-ish available series and thus more likely to be commercially viable (apparently the bottom has kind of dropped out of the epic fantasy market).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Sorry to wander off topic, but I kind of like this author. . Hopefully her stuff will be on sale again soon.
In the meantime, if you've ever had a burning desire to read some follow-ups to her classic fantasies, one can pick up new novellas written in her old universes directly from the author, who's been writing and selling them directly from her website as The Further Adventures Of (a little pricey, at $5 a pop, but they do support the author directly).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
Indio777
Groupie
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 168
Karma: 1503568
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Device: K3, Nook ST Glow, Nook HD, Nook HD+, Galaxy S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Barbara Hambly is one of my favourite authors, and I quite literally own nearly everything she's written (minus media tie-in novels) in two languages.
Yes! A Hambly fan! But much better informed than I. Good.

Quote:
However, the "Dragonsbane" series (technically grouped as the Winterlands books) runs to four volumes thus far, and I really, really wouldn't call them "lighter", considering the direction the follow-up trilogy takes. (Basically, if one thought that Darwath sounded too grimdark, the demon queen portion of the Winterlands saga goes much, much grimdarker.)
Was not aware of further volumes in that series. Thanks. Dark is not bad at all. But from what you say, can see why it might not be a great series to start off with for those who do not prefer that.

Quote:
For prospective readers who want a more optimistic series with more romance-y elements in them, I highly recommend Bride of the Rat God (standalone set in 20s Hollywood)
Thought about mentioning that one, but I thought it was too "different" from rest of work. It was fun but ... I read it, enjoyed it, but wanted something more.

Quote:
The Windrose Chronicles (80s era computer programmer kidnapped to a Regency-esque magical world) and the standalone sequel (follows a different character in the same world and can be read alone)
Yes, in retrospect, that series should have perhaps been a first-time recommendation.

Quote:
Stranger at the Wedding, which is an excellent mystery w/strong romantic elements, and the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books, which feature a more classical fantasy setting amidst a mercenary group.
"Stranger" is good. I thought about mentioning the Sun Wolf books but found the last one a bit tedious at times. Still good though. To the point where I would not have minded more.

Quote:
The Asher & Ysidro novels got picked up not because of the vampire craze recurrence (or at least not solely because of that), but because Hambly's Benjamin January novels (excellent and recommended to those who haven't tried them before) have done so well with the sales in their Severn House revival that the new publisher which is known for doing mainly mysteries went and offered a contract to pick up and continue the Asher books because they were her most mystery/suspense-ish available series and thus more likely to be commercially viable (apparently the bottom has kind of dropped out of the epic fantasy market).
Yes the bottom seems to have dropped out. I have problems with it: many are same old ploys and part of a series. Can no one write a solid single-volume standalone book? I guess not. Does the market discourage it? Perhaps so. Seems seems to be..

Glad to hear new Asher books are seem to be released based on merits and not part of "craze".

I agree, the Benjamin series is very good..

Quote:
In the meantime, if you've ever had a burning desire to read some follow-ups to her classic fantasies, one can pick up new novellas written in her old universes directly from the author, who's been writing and selling them directly from her website as The Further Adventures Of (a little pricey, at $5 a pop, but they do support the author directly).
Will look into it. Thanks.


Quote:
For prospective readers who want a more optimistic series with more romance-y elements in them, I highly recommend Bride of the Rat God (standalone set in 20s Hollywood), The Windrose Chronicles (80s era computer programmer kidnapped to a Regency-esque magical world) and the standalone sequel (follows a different character in the same world and can be read alone) Stranger at the Wedding, which is an excellent mystery w/strong romantic elements, and the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books, which feature a more classical fantasy setting amidst a mercenary group.

The Asher & Ysidro novels got picked up not because of the vampire craze recurrence (or at least not solely because of that), but because Hambly's Benjamin January novels (excellent and recommended to those who haven't tried them before) have done so well with the sales in their Severn House revival that the new publisher which is known for doing mainly mysteries went and offered a contract to pick up and continue the Asher books because they were her most mystery/suspense-ish available series and thus more likely to be commercially viable
Hope it works out for her.

Edit: several; formatting issues. sorry.

Last edited by Indio777; 11-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
xendula's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,044
Karma: 4000668
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany / USA
Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Her two-book series that involves a dragon is much "lighter." First book is Dragonsbane. Yeah, I know, yet another fantasy about dragons. But she adds enough new elements to make it interesting. And still a bit of romance. So if these are on sale again, might consider trying that.
I added those to my Amazon wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
xendula's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,044
Karma: 4000668
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany / USA
Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
For prospective readers who want a more optimistic series with more romance-y elements in them, I highly recommend Bride of the Rat God (standalone set in 20s Hollywood), The Windrose Chronicles (80s era computer programmer kidnapped to a Regency-esque magical world) and the standalone sequel (follows a different character in the same world and can be read alone) Stranger at the Wedding, which is an excellent mystery w/strong romantic elements, and the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books, which feature a more classical fantasy setting amidst a mercenary group.
I'll check those out as well.
I found the first Dragonsbane at the Brooklyn library, so I will borrow it instead. That was the only one available, and I don't mind paying for sequels if I get the first book from a library. The more I borrow, the more I buy....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ChiZine CyberMonday 50% off selected e-books (~30+) [Sci-Fi/Fantasy & Horror] ATDrake Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 1 11-26-2012 11:31 AM
Mundania Press 50% off CyberMonday sale [Fantasy & Mystery, Romance & Other] ATDrake Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 0 11-26-2012 01:18 AM
Amazon's page number mechanism on non-Amazon ebooks?? ApK Kindle Developer's Corner 4 04-25-2011 09:17 PM
Track # of Amazon ebooks that are available SanAntone Amazon Kindle 371 02-20-2011 07:54 AM
CyberMonday Coupons (did you get yours, did you get the right one?) jiminrussell Kobo Reader 14 12-31-2010 08:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.