Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Apps, the price of updates?

Hi, am just curious about the general price of updates for apps.

I was wondering if you get all updates to an app for free, like the shareware model?

Or whether you buy 1.x and get all the .x updates for free and have to rebuy the 2.x app?

Or whether you have to pay for each update?

Thanks
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When you tap the "App Store" icon, you get choices, including "Updates.". Tap it to see if any of your apps have updates, then just tap to install. They are free and automatically show up so you don't have tp search.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
If you see a number next to the app symbol in itunes then this indicates how many updates you have available for your apps. You can also do updates without being connected to itunes via updates in the device. Yes they are free.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Sometimes there are free (or cheaper) "lite" versions of apps (with less features). The "full" version with more comprehensive features can be bought later if need be. This is totally different to updates as such, just mentioning this incase you didn't know. Regardless, both versions would still have free updates.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Hi, am just curious about the general price of updates for apps.

I was wondering if you get all updates to an app for free, like the shareware model?

Or whether you buy 1.x and get all the .x updates for free and have to rebuy the 2.x app?

Or whether you have to pay for each update?

Thanks
App updates are free regardless of whether the original app was free or cost money.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Are any of the vendors charging to update to an ipad optimized app?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Are any of the vendors charging to update to an ipad optimized app?
MANY vendors are charging for the ipad version.

This also indicates the problem here. UPDATES are usually free.

But if a devver decides to change their product name as "HD-version" or "2.0" or whatever, they can charge money for it.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Several other useful things to note:

Generally prices for apps are very low $1 - $5, and the updates (as others have said) are free. Even if an app splits in two for a HD version, the cost is still generally low.

You can deploy the apps (and any in-app purchases) on as many iPads, iPhones, or iPod Touchs that you like. For an individual this doesn't really signify, but amounts to big savings for families!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The only update I've ever paid for was the updated OS for the iPod Touch. Some of the bigger apps might have pay for upgrades in the future, like getting a whole new program for reduced prices, but I haven't seen that yet.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I can't remember which app it was for the iPod, but I did have one upgrade that had 2 levels. You could download the free upgrade that was adequate for most users, but there was also a full upgrade that they charged for. It was not anything useful to me, so I was able to get by with the free one. They only charged $0.99 for the full one, but it seemed like a disturbing precedent to me. I hope that does not become the norm.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
omro
Addict

I have no issues paying for apps, though decent freeware is awesome. If paying a nominal fee for the app allows the developer to fund future development then I'm all for it. However, I don't want to be paying again and again for each update. If the app gets a major revision that could potentially be worth paying for again, then maybe I can justify that. I just wanted to be sure how it worked.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1 View Post
I can't remember which app it was for the iPod, but I did have one upgrade that had 2 levels. You could download the free upgrade that was adequate for most users, but there was also a full upgrade that they charged for. It was not anything useful to me, so I was able to get by with the free one. They only charged $0.99 for the full one, but it seemed like a disturbing precedent to me. I hope that does not become the norm.
that sounds AWESOME!

get the app and try it and then if I like it or need more functionality 99c gets me the full version.

Much better than just charging 99c for teh app and not having a free version.

or are you suggesting the whole full version should be free???
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Many free versions have an adware component that keeps a small banner ad on a rotating basis, where the developers get their revenue. For $.99 you can get the ad removed.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote