Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Ready meals - why pre-heat the oven?

I've often wondered why the instructions on ready meals say to pre-heat the oven.

Why not just stick the ready meal in when you turn the oven on?
It takes 5 mins for the oven to get up to speed, so just add five mins to the cooking time.
It saves making two trips to the kitchen - one to turn the oven on, and again to stick the meal in.
By cutting the number of trips in half, you get more reading time - so this is a relevant topic here.

Is there any advantage to pre-heating?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
SNIP
By cutting the number of trips in half, you get more reading time - so this is a relevant topic here.
SNIP
It has something to do with even distribution of heat to the ingredients...etc...

I have learned to love my microwave because I can avoid the whole preheat thing and read more...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I think the issue is that the temperature during the warm-up period isn't predictable. Different ovens will heat up at different rates. And since you'd be starting at room temperature and getting to target temp in 5 minutes, you'd probably need to add more than 5 minutes to the total.

Actually, I think frozen and other heat-and-serve meals are very forgiving and you can probably get away with the one-step process and not harm the quality of your meal.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Very slightly on topic... Do the Microwave/ready to heat meals there now tell you to measure doneness with a food thermometer? I've been noticing that on ours, and I get a big laugh out of it. Not because it's silly, but because for how many years, people have been eating ready to heat meals without those temperatures granting us permission to eat! (of course, it means they can't be sued if you get sick, so maybe that's why they're all getting on the bandwagon!

And, yes, you could just add 5 minutes to the timer, but maybe the food cooks/defrosts while the oven is heating up to the preheat temp? This could allow dangerous bacteria to form and kill us!!!

or something like that
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceili View Post
Very slightly on topic... Do the Microwave/ready to heat meals there now tell you to measure doneness with a food thermometer?
Not in the UK, they just typically say something about ensuring it's piping hot before serving.

P.S. for the replies to my original query.

Last edited by Sparrow; 06-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
A friend who has worked as a professional chef and now creates new ready meals never bothers to preheat the oven. I don't know about the science of it, but I assume that he knows what he was doing.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Preheat? No no no, that's what microwaves are for.

There's this really handy thing right now from Hormel. It is "Compleats" and isn't frozen. Slide it out of the cardboard sleeve, nuke it 90 seconds, and it's very good. Not enough to fill you up, but it makes an easy lunch on the go because you can carry it in a purse.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've often wondered why the instructions on ready meals say to pre-heat the oven.

It takes 5 mins for the oven to get up to speed, so just add five mins to the cooking time.
It saves making two trips to the kitchen - one to turn the oven on, and again to stick the meal in.

My only thought is that some people may not bother to add the heating time, and suffer some ill-effect from under-cooked food as a result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Why do most cake mixes require you to add fresh eggs? When prepared cake mixes were first developed in the 1950s they included powdered eggs. All that was necessary to add was water. The housewives of that era were skeptical that powdered eggs were as good as fresh eggs and the cake mixes failed in the marketplace.

The manufacturer replaced the water only cake mixes with ones that did not have powdered eggs, and changed the directions to add one or two fresh eggs. They were an instant success! And we have been having to add our own eggs ever since.

Why do the directions say preheat the oven? Marketing!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

If you add five minutes on to the time, then you run the risk of what you put in being dried out a bit. That's the worst of it.

I also am a big fan of the Hormel Completes. They just sit on the shelf until you need them, and then you have a super quick lunch in 90 seconds. I think they have about 12 flavors.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Why do most cake mixes require you to add fresh eggs? When prepared cake mixes were first developed in the 1950s they included powdered eggs. All that was necessary to add was water. The housewives of that era were skeptical that powdered eggs were as good as fresh eggs and the cake mixes failed in the marketplace.

The manufacturer replaced the water only cake mixes with ones that did not have powdered eggs, and changed the directions to add one or two fresh eggs. They were an instant success! And we have been having to add our own eggs ever since.

Why do the directions say preheat the oven? Marketing!
No, that's why you have to add your own eggs. There actually is a reason (that has nothing to do with marketing) for preheating in a conventional oven.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
There's this really handy thing right now from Hormel. It is "Compleats" and isn't frozen. Slide it out of the cardboard sleeve, nuke it 90 seconds, and it's very good. Not enough to fill you up, but it makes an easy lunch on the go because you can carry it in a purse.
Meals, Ready to eat! AKA MREs. They come in brown camouflaged sealed foil bags, have their own chemical heaters, come in a few dozen varieties, and don’t taste too bad.

Trouble is they are hard to find (unless you’re in the Army) and are a tad spendy. About eight bucks (USD) apiece.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
No, that's why you have to add your own eggs. There actually is a reason (that has nothing to do with marketing) for preheating in a conventional oven.
Uhhh ... and it is?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, I gues I have to reveal the secret.... preheating involves both top and bottom elements, so the heat is hotter and the oven gets up to the correct temp, then it lowers the heat to maintain that temp.

So if you stick it in during preheat, it is more likely to burn on the outside and be undercooked inside. But I do it anyway, especially baking biscuits, in order to get a nice allover crust going.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-26-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Give me KARMA for sharing some of my vast knowledge of cooking trivia!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
OK, I gues I have to reveal the secret.... preheating involves both top and bottom elements, so the heat is hotter and the oven gets up to the correct temp, then it lowers the heat to maintain that temp.

So if you stick it in during preheat, it is more likely to burn on the outside and be undercooked inside. But I do it anyway, especially baking biscuits, in order to get a nice allover crust going.
Hmm, that sounds plausible - thanks.

I like my food a bit on the burnt side - so I generally add quite a bit to the suggested cooking times anyway.