Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
The low light "problem" is a very reported and known one. Engineers are working on it. I guess they don't have electricity either...
Next time, if you don't have anything usefull to say, you might consider saying nothing at all...
Do I sense a little sarcasm?

How did you read books in these areas you speak of?

Many people are fond of the Mighty Brite book lite.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I think I might know what the low light thing is.

In the dark, or at least near dark with a light on my Cybook it's crystal clear. In the daytime in direct sunlight it's also fine.

If I'm in a dimly lit room and the cybook screen is not being directly lit by the bulb then it's not very readable, however if I turn on the light it improves. The light would be enough to read a paper book, but not my Cybook. Still, even with a paper book more light would be good.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #33
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
As a main device (given the current state of the art) I think e-ink is the way to go. As a backup, I might research more about the upcoming Nintendo DSi. I don't know about Europe, but its scheduled for April 1 here in the U.S. .

Anyway, it has 2 very bright/clear 3.5" backlit screens, and is foldable to fit in your pocket. The DSi is supposed to have an SD slot for stored content and there has been some discussion about the ability to download/add content. The biggest issue is that I don't know yet what (if any) reading applications will be available for it. Will it be an official app or homebrew? Also, if its an official app, I am afraid Nintendo will keep it a closed system and try to get a cut of every book sold (like they do with games). However, for $170 the hardware has intriguing capabilities if only the software delivers.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
leequick1
leequick1 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, rocketbook, rb1100, palms, nook, iPhone/iTouch, Jetbook lite
I vote for a PDA, I use a Palm, one of the more expensive ones with the bigger screen. Does ereader,mobipocket and a few others. Very good reading. I have read about 200 to 300 ebooks on it. Still using it to read.
I was surprised that the Touch was easy to read, actually does non secure mobipocket using the reader that you can get on baen books webscription.net.
leequick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
leequick1

man I hate posting something in the wrong spot.
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #36
leequick1

However this might be the spot for the news I might have for some
I bet a few of you know that WAR has been declared. For those of you who don't, let me partially fill you in.
Long ago and far away a new type of book store came a calling, and for years lost money. They were called Amazon.com. Now an established bookstore called Barnes and Nobles took up the gauntlet and for a long time sold every book for a minimum of 1 penny less. Then Amazon started to sell ebooks in a couple of formats and So did B & N. For awhile I loved the Adobe format, until one day I went to reread a series and was told my ebook had timed out and I would have to repurchase it. ReRent it is more like. By then Fictionwise, Ereader and Mobipocket and I were fast friends along with about 20 other smaller ebook stores. Love my Palm
Then one day I found out that Amazon.com had purchased, rather quietly I thought, Mobipocket. Then a while later came out with the Kindle. There goes the neighborhood, but at least most of my friends that read and that realize a book is actually the words and not the physical mode of travel for those words, have asked me about ebooks and ebook stores.
Now yesterday as I was looking for something I came across a banner that stated that B & N had purchased Fictionwise.com/Ebookwise/Ereader and Ereader.com and probably a few other things.
So, anyone else bet on a new ereader from B & N? Maybe a war we on the outside might benefit from?
lee
Old 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #37
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
how's about slate & chisel ....
You're being a little hard aren't you Geoff?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #38
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Okay, chalk & slate - at least you can then erase mistakes.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
I was looking at the Eee PC T91, it seems to be something that could be used for "propped up" bed or recliner reading/
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #40
leequick1

second reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A PDA (Palm/Pocket PC) will give you much more flexibility than will an iPod Touch and, if you install MobiPocket Reader on it, will allow you to read the same books that you can on your CyBook.
I was looking at all and then I noticed what I forgot, I still use my Palm to read, it sits next to my bed, has 400 ebooks on it in either mobipocket or ereader format, secure and non-secure. It also includes stuff I have gathered from the web, changed the format from text to one that I can use in the ereader, and sometimes the mobi will pick it up also.

Thing is, the palm is still a wonderful reading device. Now I know that many of the devices with the big screens are no longer produced but I am pretty sure you can still find them and for so much less than original cost. The other thing is the small footprint and small weight makes it ideal for a secondary reading device and will take mobi or ereader or both.
lee
Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leequick1 View Post
I was looking at all and then I noticed what I forgot, I
Lee... could you maybe put some spaces in your device list so it will wrap. Your profile block is very wide.

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-12-24 at 12.19.15 PM.png
Views:	217
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	41867  
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #42
leequick1

Your wish is my command.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leequick1 View Post
Your wish is my command.
Thanks... that satisfies my mild OCD.

BOb
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #44
leequick1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks... that satisfies my mild OCD.

BOb
That's considered an OCD? I am doomed, my life at work is an OCD. How depressing. Just received my Nook and my JetBook lite the day before xmas. Interesting items. Nook uberfast and jetbook won't accept my code to read secure ebooks but does delete ebooks.