Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #46
Lizzy
Lizzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Okay, it's about 8:30pm, and when I called home earlier my hubby said there's an Amazon box there for me!!!!! Why can't this night hurry up and end! I've been at work since 2pm and can't leave until 11pm, oh the agony! I must rush home plug it in and turn it on just to see what it looks like. I just sold my Kindle 1 about a week ago, wish I had kept it as well. I'm having withdrawals! Will post again tomorrow after I visit with my new friend for hours on end. Till then, happy reading everyone!
Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #47
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
Okay, it's about 8:30pm, and when I called home earlier my hubby said there's an Amazon box there for me!!!!! Why can't this night hurry up and end! I've been at work since 2pm and can't leave until 11pm, oh the agony! I must rush home plug it in and turn it on just to see what it looks like. I just sold my Kindle 1 about a week ago, wish I had kept it as well. I'm having withdrawals! Will post again tomorrow after I visit with my new friend for hours on end. Till then, happy reading everyone!
Drive carefully!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #48
Toadmanor
Toadmanor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I got mine also and while I'm liking it the differences between the 2 and the 1 are not significant.
Toadmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbased View Post
And the Amazon store has plenty of free content too.
Don't forget with the browser you can download books from mobieread.com and feedbooks.com. Just put the download guides on them. Type these URLs in your Kindles browser to get them:

https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Once those "books" are on your Kindle you can browse/search through them and d/l books directly to your Kindle... free of charge.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #50
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't forget with the browser you can download books from mobieread.com and feedbooks.com. Just put the download guides on them. Type these URLs in your Kindles browser to get them:

https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Once those "books" are on your Kindle you can browse/search through them and d/l books directly to your Kindle... free of charge.

BOb
Plus, the free books downloaded from here and the other sites mentioned will be better formatted.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #51
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
I love the screen, I wish I could adjust the contrast though. It's not a deal breaker. OR maybe I thought the background was "whiter" than the current grey. The screen is still great.

Also love the fact that I can charge my phone, and kindle with the same cord. One less thing to shlep around!
I agree about about the screen. With the white unit, the background does seem darker, but it's just the nature of E-ink.

Oh yeah, the K2 does fit on my phone charger. Awesome observation! Thanks
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #52
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
Got mine about an hour ago. Amazon case and connection method are very nice. Not impressed by the fit and finish of the Cole Haan case that I ordered, will probably send it back if someone in the family doesn't take it off my hands. Here is a link to the pictures.

Cole Haan case w/ Kindle2
The case you got I was curious about. Is it firm enough to be comfortable to hold when folded back?

I decided to get the Cole Haan case in smooth dark brown leather. Its a wonderful case. when closed however it doesn't fold completely flat. I think with time it will. I do have a sleeve I will be keeping it in when done reading for the day but I somewhat wonder if I should have just got the black case instead. But very nice soft leather and suede interior.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #53
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
How do you go to the previous page while holding it w/ your right hand?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #54
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Mine just shipped and it's all I can do not to call in for a sub on the day it's due to arrive. Hurry up, Kindle!
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
How do you go to the previous page while holding it w/ your right hand?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
You press the button with your left hand.

Seriously, is this a problem? 99% of the time when you are reading you are going to the NEXT page.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #56
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Quote:
Ooooh. It's a good thing I didn't get that Cole Haan case which was the ONLY one I wanted, but the lack of the integrated "patented" hook was a deal breaker, those tabs are too distracting.

Seems like I don't have to take photos since there are so many photos and reviews and such that are popping up.

Here's my assessment so far:

I love the screen, I wish I could adjust the contrast though. It's not a deal breaker. OR maybe I thought the background was "whiter" than the current grey. The screen is still great.

The male voice is definitely more realistic sounding than the female voice. It's just OK, it has it's moments where it's a bit robotic, but I'm more into the reading than the experimental frills.

Web browsing is a bit rough for my taste, but that has to do with refresh rates. Websites are all about quick eye movement, scan and click and such...books are meant to be read word for word. An internet device this is not. A book reader it certainly is.

Having used it, I found myself trying a variety of positions to hold the device. I'm still trying to find my ultimate comfort zone. With the 505, I'd hold it from the bottom and have my thumb on the bottom left corner working the page back and forward buttons. This one doesn't work like that. I'll need more time on that.

I find the device a bit heavy, no? Anyone else think it's heavy? Especially in the leather cover from Amazon. Just picked it up without the leather cover, it feels great. A bit slippery. It's also hard to hold it with the cover on and it folded back with one's LEFT hand. It wants to slide.

Ahhh...it sounds like I'm being all negative here, but the truth is I love the device. I'm just giving my real world experience with it.

I LOVE the screensavers. Such beautiful photos.

Also love the fact that I can charge my phone, and kindle with the same cord. One less thing to shlep around!

I just thought about something: for those people who like to throw the device in a ziplock and read in the tub, the navigation button is more friendly than the scroll wheel I personally don't read when bathing, but it's something to think about.

The dictionary is wonderful. I learned so many new words today that I wouldn't have known just from context.

It's not a "perfect" device, but in my opinion it's the best option out there now. And the Amazon store has plenty of free content too.

I'm sure to update this thread with more findings. I really am enjoying it so far. Back to reading for me!!!

P.S. whoever asked me if it took a screen shot, yes, it did, it showed up on my kindle when I plugged it into my Mac.
Thanks for the input, and I would appreciate everything else you come across. Personally, I prefer to hear about the negatives b/c I already know the good things about it.

i understand it's not a great "web" browser but how does it work on wikipedia? does it take a while for pages to load? Do the pages look distorted?
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #57
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
i understand it's not a great "web" browser but how does it work on wikipedia? does it take a while for pages to load? Do the pages look distorted?
It makes a pretty poor web browser, because I'd much rather have a full sized keyboard, a full-sized color screen, and high-speed broadband ----

BUT it makes a wonderful on-the-go browser. I was able to go to google maps and get directions with no problem. I was able to go to wikipedia and read an article no problem.

It is not as convenient as a PC, but it gives you free access on the go. I don't know how many times I've been out in the car and wished I had google maps with me. Yes, I do have a TomTom GPS, but I don't always carry it with me either. However, as a reader, I expect that I will almost always have my K2 with me.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #58
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Hi -

Haven't posted here in ages, but wanted to let you all know that I received my Kindle 2, and do find it significantly better than Kindle 1.

1. The fit and finish of the 2 feels more substantial.
2. The "accidental" page turns that plagued me with the 1 are now eliminated in the 2.
3. The screen (to me anyway) is a significant upgrade. Maybe it's the greyscale, but the text seems clearer and of course photos are sharper.
4. I actually love the Cole Haan case. I got the black pebbled finish, and find it fits just fine. I love the floppy, supple leather, and think it'll only get better with use.

I do, however, miss the SD card slot of the 1. I did max out my 1's memory - but it was only because I was lazy in deleting newspapers and magazines. And, no, I never transferred material to my SD card... But it was great to know it was there!

Also, I confess I miss the scroll wheel and it's sparkly cursor. Oh well!

On the whole I'm happy I upgraded. I just wish they offered it in black, because the white gets so dirty.

Enjoy!
Larry
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #59
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Here's a tip... when it say's "delivered" you will have it. So, stop running to the door.

BOb
When I was waiting for the last Harry Potter, I intercepted the UPS guy at the end of the driveway. And we don't have a long driveway! Are you really so laid back, PilotBob?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Are you really so laid back, PilotBob?
Pretty much yes.

(I'm not quite Eeeyore though)

BOb