Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Book Industry Study Group "1/5 of US Readers Switched to Digital Only in 2009"

While reading this press release http://www.realwire.com/release_deta...eleaseID=14904

I found this quote from Robert Elding, marketing director of YUDU Media, and former head of Online Marketing at The Times newspaper and Internet consultant at BBC and BSkyB

Quote:
“the US Book Industry Study Group recently found that every fifth reader in the US stopped buying paper books in 2009 and switched entirely to digital editions, otherwise known as eBooks (or e-books). “

“This is a seismic shift in reading habits which is set to change even further with the launch of the iSlate.”
I haven't dug out the whole study yet but it can be found at

http://www.bisg.org/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I question that figure, but no doubt more folks than ever are reading ebooks. When I started with them 10 years ago I was the only person I knew that had even heard of them. Now, there is a much greater awareness, and use.

As I say, the change will be slow (took ten years to get this far), but will happen.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And yet according to the same group, only 1.7% of all books purchased were digital in the last quarter of 2009. That's still impressive and represents a 42% rise over the course of the year. It's nowhere near 20%, though, and I wonder if this guy isn't massaging things a bit.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
And yet according to the same group, only 1.7% of all books purchased were digital in the last quarter of 2009. That's still impressive and represents a 42% rise over the course of the year. It's nowhere near 20%, though, and I wonder if this guy isn't massaging things a bit.
Several studies have indicated that most ebook buyers buy or plan to buy no more than 2 ebooks within a 12-month period. The studies indicate that they are looking for free ebooks. One study even noted that some interviewed ebook buyers indicated that they rarely buy or read any book and that they are using their smartphone to make a one-time purchase.

All of the studies are distorted but I don't find it hard to believe that very casual readers have decided to read the 1 or 2 books they read each year on their iPod or smartphone rather than buy a p version. That would account for the 20% cited by the OP.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote