Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
troutqueen
troutqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello from Memphis, TN

Hello from Memphis, TN, home of the best BBQ, Graceland, and... not much else

I'm a long-time reader and have only in the last year started moving into ebooks. I started with my iPhone a year ago, using ereader, to read some books and short stories. I had no plans to get a dedicated ebook reader for quite some time.

However, two months ago, an opportunity presented itself with a Circuit City going out of business locally. We found the Sony 505 for less than half the cost and bought it impulsively. I wish I'd bought the other one they had there, as well, as I didn't realize what a fantastic find this was!

Of course, as with most impulsive buys, I hadn't done my research. I use Macs at home and the first few weeks of figuring out how to update firmware, load books in, activating ADEs, etc had me pulling my hair out. That's how I found this site, and I'm so glad to have found a great resource to help me answer questions and find content.

I read romances, classics, sci-fi and some mysteries and suspense as the mood strikes. I'm greatly enjoying the ability to have dozens of books at my finger tips without having to take up the space for them!
troutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome troutqueen (you could send some rainbows this way). We have many Sony users and some Mac userd that can give advice and/or opinions. Fictionwise has both your genres but not sure if in your Sony format. Baen has SF in the Sony format & 1) all their ebooks are DRM free & 2) they have a "free" library to get you hooked on new authors. In addition Baen has what they call "Webscriptions" each month. It's a bundle of 4 - 8 ebooks (their choice each month) for $15 per bundle. Lately it been closer to 8 than to 4. You don't subscribe, you just buy the bundles you want.

Good luck & good reading.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi troutqueen and welcome to MobileRead.

I got my Sony with similar good luck; I wandered mindlessly into the local SonyStyle Store to check out the 505 just after Christmas 2007 and, to my delight, they had it a 40% off as it had been a window model. It's run just fine and I really like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Welcome Troutqueen. My 505 is only a few weeks old but I'm LOVING IT!! I like romance books, as well as wide range of other genres. One of the first things I did was go to eharlequin.com and download the 16 free ebooks. I'm not sure how that would work with Mac though, but I thought I'd put that out there.

Happy reading!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
hello, troutqueen, and welcome to MobileRead. Here is a link to our wiki page on the 505, perhaps you can find some more useful info there.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505

Here is another link to our "hello newbie" page which lists more info. Be sure and shout out any questions not answered. We do love to answer questions.......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=43794&page=2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
troutqueen

Slayda, I LOVE Baen - I'm currently reading Flint's 1632 series from them. Baen gets how ebook publishing should be! Fictionwise is limited in their formats for the Sony without having to strip DRM, and I'm lazy I just want to purchase and download without extra steps!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
troutqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Welcome Troutqueen. My 505 is only a few weeks old but I'm LOVING IT!! I like romance books, as well as wide range of other genres. One of the first things I did was go to eharlequin.com and download the 16 free ebooks. I'm not sure how that would work with Mac though, but I thought I'd put that out there.
Thanks! I haven't fully explored the eharlequin site, but I think I downloaded some of the free ebooks from them a couple months ago for their anniversary. I think one of the interesting things I'm finding as I'm exploring where to get my books is that some publishers charge MORE for the paperback prices for their ebooks! Liz Carlyle is a fave of mine and her books are $2 more for the ebook version than the full-price paperback. It's insane! But since I haven't necessarily given up on hard copy reading, I can always get the pb.

Hope you're having as much fun exploring and playing with the 505!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutqueen View Post
Thanks! I haven't fully explored the eharlequin site, but I think I downloaded some of the free ebooks from them a couple months ago for their anniversary. I think one of the interesting things I'm finding as I'm exploring where to get my books is that some publishers charge MORE for the paperback prices for their ebooks! Liz Carlyle is a fave of mine and her books are $2 more for the ebook version than the full-price paperback. It's insane! But since I haven't necessarily given up on hard copy reading, I can always get the pb.

Hope you're having as much fun exploring and playing with the 505!
The Sony Store carries the Harlequin eBooks at the same price as the eHarlequin store (I think) and they offer some bundles which brings the price-per-book down quite a bit.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The Sony Store carries the Harlequin eBooks at the same price as the eHarlequin store (I think) and they offer some bundles which brings the price-per-book down quite a bit.
yes, the sure do! And I get so frustrated wading through the romance bundles, looking for something I want to purchase ( I prefer my romance in chick-lit fashion)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome!

What a great deal! I'm envious. what I couldn't do with an extra ereader or two.... actually, what would I do? I think it would confuse me to have two ereaders, but maybe not. Too bad I won't get to try it out!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote