Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
somkk
somkk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5T
Exclamation Kindle Ebook Conversion

Hi All,!!!

I'm converting from HTML -> Mobi using Calibre.

Plz look at the attached screenshot.

The number "168", and the horizontal line below it, actually mark the ending of a page.

Similarly, the number "169" below, is the page number of the next page.
However, in Kindle, these are being shown as one continuous page!

Plz ignore the colored letters at the bottom of the page. They're scanning artifacts.

Note - Currently, the Horizontal bar inserted into the HTML file, is for identifying where a page ends.

What should I do to make these show as separate pages on the Kindle ?

Thank you!!

PS - A lady friend is leaving for Australia soon.
I want to send her a few books, in a readable format!

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	84689  

Last edited by somkk; 03-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.
somkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you absolutely need hard pagination like that, then print the file to a PDF. The Kindle will read PDFs. You can also just give her the HTML renamed as a .txt file...it can read that too.

But far better if your content did not have such page layouts hard coded...one of the main features of an ereaders is that a "page" is reflowed depending on the users preferences.

Lastly, I'm sure it's possible to tweak Calibre to detect the page number and horizontal rule and make an appropriate page break, but that's well beyond anything I've bothered with.

Last edited by ApK; 03-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by somkk View Post
Hi All,!!!

I'm converting from HTML -> Mobi using Calibre.

Plz look at the attached screenshot.

The number "168", and the horizontal line below it, actually mark the ending of a page.

Similarly, the number "169" below, is the page number of the next page.
However, in Kindle, these are being shown as one continuous page!

Plz ignore the colored letters at the bottom of the page. They're scanning artifacts.

Note - Currently, the Horizontal bar inserted into the HTML file, is for identifying where a page ends.

What should I do to make these show as separate pages on the Kindle ?

Thank you!!

PS - A lady friend is leaving for Australia soon.
I want to send her a few books, in a readable format!

Help is greatly appreciated!!

The best way to force page breaks is to use HTML as the source for the mobi. Then in the HTML use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). In your CSS define an element for which you want page breaks to occur before. For example, you can define H1 headings to have a page break before them. To do this, use the following CSS code:

Code:
h1 { page-break-before: always; }