Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
A Q on the Kindle 2

I see that they removed the SD card in favor of 2gb of memory. Does this mean that you can't take books off it, or can you still move books onto your computer? Thanks!
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
I see that they removed the SD card in favor of 2gb of memory. Does this mean that you can't take books off it, or can you still move books onto your computer? Thanks!
The books you buy fro Amazon are store on your online media acccount indefinitely........so if you want to delete them, they can be downloaded for free whenever you feel the need.

You can't read drm'd books bought from amazon off your computer.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The internal memory will show up as a filesystem when connected via USB, so you can copy files between computer and Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
You can still backup books onto your computer, and Media Library on Amazon or not, I suggest that you do back them up.

Books are maintained in your Media Library for as long as Amazon has the e-book distribution rights. If the publisher decides to revoke those rights, Amazon reserves the right to remove any books that it no longer has the right to distribute from your Media Library.

I had a looooooong conversation with the folks at Amazon about this particular point, and while they noted that it was "unlikely" they agreed that, even though a user had purchased that book and it was in their Media Library, they would have to remove it. Although, they said they would "likely" issue a refund.

So, while you can't "read" the books on your computer, you should definitely back them up, either to your computer, a NAS, or the net. Further, you should have a separate backup directory for each and every Kindle that you own.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Would have been cool if the Kindle II had a USB port that allowed for the use of flash drives
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Would have been cool if the Kindle II had a USB port that allowed for the use of flash drives
That would be sweet
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
Sage advice! I would definitely back everything I had up. And likely figure out a way to circumvent DRM if I wanted to read on our tablet laptop.
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You can still backup books onto your computer, and Media Library on Amazon or not, I suggest that you do back them up.
I do backup all my Kindle 1 books on my computer, and I'll have to download them all again from Amazon for Kindle 2. Will I have to keep a separate backup for Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 books or will the second download provide books that will work on both Kindles? I asked this of Amazon and got a stock reply that didn't answer the question.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
babygator
babygator began at the beginning.

Device: none
so the books for kindle 1 wont work with the kindle2?? im confused here
babygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is this like the Sony Reader (500 in my case) where having an SD card full of books actually slowed down the reader? If that is the case, I would be far more happy with a large amount of space onboard and a lack of a card slot.

2GB is a lot of books to begin with, and I don't mind changing them every so often, so I would easily choose speed over space.
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygator View Post
so the books for kindle 1 wont work with the kindle2??
They are the same ebooks, but each Amazon ebook file is locked by DRM to one individual Kindle. So if you have two Kindles and want to backup the DRMed ebooks to your PC you need backups of both Kindles (and the backups won't work if your Kindle breaks and you get a new one, unless you strip the DRM). Note that today you can "always" download the ebooks again from Amazon's servers. Lots of things can happen in the future to prevent the "always" from being true (Amazon could go out of business, or a publisher could stop allowing Amazon to sell or update the DRM on the ebooks it provides). You will probably never need the backup, but it is a good idea to make one anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I don't believe this is true. I think each ebook is tied to your account - and can be read on any Kindles on that account. So when my Kindle 2 comes I will be able to download books from that account to either Kindle. If I download a book to my computer that book should be able to work on either Kindle if transferred manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are the same ebooks, but each Amazon ebook file is locked by DRM to one individual Kindle. So if you have two Kindles and want to backup the DRMed ebooks to your PC you need backups of both Kindles (and the backups won't work if your Kindle breaks and you get a new one, unless you strip the DRM). Note that today you can "always" download the ebooks again from Amazon's servers. Lots of things can happen in the future to prevent the "always" from being true (Amazon could go out of business, or a publisher could stop allowing Amazon to sell or update the DRM on the ebooks it provides). You will probably never need the backup, but it is a good idea to make one anyway.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I don't believe this is true. I think each ebook is tied to your account - and can be read on any Kindles on that account. So when my Kindle 2 comes I will be able to download books from that account to either Kindle. If I download a book to my computer that book should be able to work on either Kindle if transferred manually.
I don't have two Kindles to test this, but if you had six Kindles it is impossible for one ebook file to support all 6 because MOBI only has room for 4 PIDs (4 Kindles) in its DRM tables. For this and other reasons, if I was Amazon I would tie each ebook file to a single Kindle. This is the easiest approach, and given the whispernet-centric delivery model there is no reason not to lock each file to a single Kindle. Note that you can have the same ebook on up to six Kindles, but they don't have to be identical files (the encryption can make them different). It is always dangerous to mentally reverse engineer a delivery system (because there can be real issues you are unaware of, or because the delivery system isn't optimal) but I would bet each file is locked to one Kindle. This is easy for someone with two Kindles to confirm or refute. If the files are identical, then why is Amazon doing such an apparently idiotic thing (i.e. what advantage to this approach am I missing)?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't have two Kindles to test this, but if you had six Kindles it is impossible for one ebook file to support all 6 because MOBI only has room for 4 PIDs (4 Kindles) in its DRM tables. For this and other reasons, if I was Amazon I would tie each ebook file to a single Kindle. This is the easiest approach, and given the whispernet-centric delivery model there is no reason not to lock each file to a single Kindle. Note that you can have the same ebook on up to six Kindles, but they don't have to be identical files (the encryption can make them different). It is always dangerous to mentally reverse engineer a delivery system (because there can be real issues you are unaware of, or because the delivery system isn't optimal) but I would bet each file is locked to one Kindle. This is easy for someone with two Kindles to confirm or refute. If the files are identical, then why is Amazon doing such an apparently idiotic thing (i.e. what advantage to this approach am I missing)?
I have two Kindle1's. when I got my second one, i went back to my Amazon media library, and redownloaded the ones I had already bought there. It asked me 'for Kindle1 or Kindle2? I chose Kindle2. It downloaded with no problem.

The books I had downloaded from here and feedbooks, I just copied and pasted to the Kindle documents folder after I had plugged it in.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I believe Wallcraft is correct -- when you select a Kindle to send the book to, it encrypts it for that specific Kindle's PID.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote