Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
jouslain
jouslain began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
ePub with quite long table

I'm trying to create an ePub file using Sigil/Calibre epub editor.

The content I want to put in my file includes some table and content in these table are quite long (honestly, sometimes in one row). It's longer than "1 page" in my ebook reader (Sony PRS-T2)

The problem is once the table is long, I won't be able to read the content in the table that is below the lower edge of the screen (Turning to the next page skip all the remaining parts of the table)

Is there anyway to force pagebreak within a table (even within a table row) in ePub?

Or is there anyway to create a multiple-column-like epub? (I've tried <div> + stylesheet but vertical alignment not seem to be working)
jouslain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslain View Post
Or is there anyway to create a multiple-column-like epub? (I've tried <div> + stylesheet but vertical alignment not seem to be working)
You can define a multi-column layout for ADE/RMSDK based reading apps via an XPGT file. While this method should work for your Sony reading app, it obviously won't work with other non-ADE readers.

Please find attached the .xpgt file from the ADE Best Practices Guide ePub file, which many publishers include in their ePub books.
Attached Files
File Type: zip template.zip (540 Bytes, 185 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Of course you can make a multi column epub! the problems are:
1. multi column is a css3 feature which means that is only supported in epub 3, which means very few devices will be able to show it correctly.
2. eReaders screens are usually quite small so multi column data output is not a good idea.

Did you try to create a div inside that row and force a page break using page-break-after rule?

There is no great solution for this unfortunately, you can also use an image that contains the entire image instead of an actual table, split it to fit most screens. though you will lose searching capabilities.

Doitsu gave you a solution that will work for some devices as well.

It really depends which epub version you're making and to which target devices.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Unfortunately, the only real solution is to change the content so it doesn't spill out over the end of the page. This might be done by making more than one table with a summary table and a breakdown of detail in a following table, or might be handled through endnotes, or if it is about various regions, break it into regions.

If you are trying to do a book that already has tables that are like this, images are probably the only solution, but the type will be small.

Tables are a real sore spot in epubs with problems you have encountered in layout, but also in support by various devices.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
jouslain

Thank you all you guys,

The table I'm trying to insert is the comparison between translated language so I'd like them to be compared side-by-side.

Now I try using

<div> +
#column1-3 { width: 33%; margin-left: 0%; top: 5em; position:absolute }
#column2-3 { width: 33%; margin-left: 33%; top: 5em; position:absolute }
#column3-3 { width: 33%; margin-left: 66%; top: 5em; position:absolute }

In computer it look like this, (which is perfect)

Click image for larger version

Name:	01_zps46410235.png
Views:	294
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	125156
[Click to enlarge.]

But when it comes to Reader (Sony PRS-T2), it turns to be

So I try,

<div> +
#column1-3 {float: left; width: 33%;}
#column2-3 {float: right; width: 33%}
#column3-3 { float: right; width: 30%; right-margin: 33%;}

The column seems to be all right, but I can't scroll to the content below the screen (just like what happened when using <table>, and I wonder why the <div> tag change their behavior)

Click image for larger version

Name:	C360_2014-07-09-20-44-06-664_phatch_zps367621ed.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	125157
[Click to enlarge.]

Anyway thanks all you guys: Doitsu, odedta, mrmikel

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-09-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Changed oversized graphics to thumbnail attachments.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course you can't scroll. E-ink readers are page based. It is not continuous like other devices. It will reformat based on text size, etc., but it still by the page.

Maybe I don't understand what is going on so well, but don't you have 130% of the screen width allocated?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't it make more sense to break up the table into <divs> containing three paragraphs (one paragraph each for Romaji, Japanese and English)?

I'd simply copy the table as a tab-delimited text file to the clipboard, paste it into a RegEx-capable editor (e.g. Notepad++) and use the following parameters to transform it:

Find what:^(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)$
Replace with:<div><p>\1</p><p>\2</p><p>\3</p></div>

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-09-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to break up the table into <divs> containing three paragraphs (one paragraph each for Romaji, Japanese and English)?

I'd simply copy the table as a tab-delimited text file to the clipboard, paste it into a RegEx-capable editor (e.g. Notepad++) and use the following parameters to transform it:

+1 this seems like the most logical way, remove marings of divs so they look like a table.

This comes as a question: I know that a able is reflowable so all you need is the cells width, in that case what is the point of the
Quote:
float:left
and
margin-right
rules you added?
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
jouslain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

The photographs I posted were done using <div>, How can I make it display side-by-side, please?

Quote:
This comes as a question: I know that a able is reflowable so all you need is the cells width, in that case what is the point of the
Quote:
float:left
and
margin-right
rules you added?
I've tried but it appeared like a table (It can't view the below contents)

Last edited by jouslain; 07-09-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslain View Post
The photographs I posted were done using <div>, How can I make it display side-by-side, please?
I didn't suggest to display them side-by-side; I suggested to display them one after another.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Couldn't you make each line a separate table with one row and three cells?

In html it would be like

<div align="center"><center>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td width="33%"><p>itsuno hi ka....</p></td>
<td width="33%"><p>1 2 3 4...</p></td>
<td width="33%"><p>One of these days ....</p></td>
</tr>
</table>
</center></div>
<tr>
<td width="33%"><p>furu</p></td>
<td width="33%">3 4 5 6 ...</p></td>
<td width="33%">meet again I will..</p></td>
</tr>
</table>
</center></div>
<tr>
<td width="33%"><p>kimi no egao ...</p></td>
<td width="33%"><p>4 5 6 ...</p></td>
<td width="33%"><p>your smiling face...</p></td>
</tr>
</table>
</center></div>

and so on. But the code would increase enormously.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone

If you have tables you have lots of code, which is one reason I am not over fond of them.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What works best is to make each line a separate row and it will split at a row to flow onto the next screen page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column, epub, table