Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
honza99999
honza99999 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 602
Cannot install new TTS in PocketBook 602

I cannot install any new TTS to my PB 602 (fw 2.0.2, Czech localization). I removed 2 existing TTS languages successfully so I should not have a problem with 4 TTS limit.

I load Czech.pbi file (but the same issue is with any other) to the root folder of internal memory, I launch it via Library/Application, I get a message (in Czech language) that the size of package is big and the the installation can take longer time.
Then after about 20 sec I get a message "Could not create temporary file in /tmp" and nothing is installed.

This does not depend whether external card is present or not, or if PB is connected to PC or not. I suppose that by '/tmp' it means a temp directory on internal (not visible) drive with Linux OS.

Seems it is not related to fw version, as I got a confirmation from other users that they installed the new TTS on fw 2.0.2.

Any idea what could be the issue, has anyone seen this error ? Thx
honza99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
honza, this has already been noted in the Bug report sticky thread - just check it out, looks like it is a bug for the Czech file.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
honza99999

Thx for reply, but I do not think it is the same issue.

I have the problem on 2.0.2 (not after 2.0.3 install ), and mainly I have the same issue with *any* pbi file (so for example English_male as well). Also I got confirmed form one user on Czech mobile forum that he installed Czech TTS on his PB 902 fw 2.0.2. fine, so it seems to be somehow specific to my book.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by honza99999 View Post
Thx for reply, but I do not think it is the same issue.

I have the problem on 2.0.2 (not after 2.0.3 install ), and mainly I have the same issue with *any* pbi file (so for example English_male as well). Also I got confirmed form one user on Czech mobile forum that he installed Czech TTS on his PB 902 fw 2.0.2. fine, so it seems to be somehow specific to my book.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
honza99999, if I am not mistaken I saw somewhere that TTS can be installed only on 2.0.3 and not not earlier versions.
Also it is highly recommended for all 602/902 ownres to upgrade their devices to 2.0.3 to avoid potential freexing issue that was discovered in previous firmware versions. All new devices should be shipped with 2.0.3 now.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
Impossible Install

This problem is also with fw 2.0.3 - on my 902.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
honza99999

tvpupsik: Thx, but I'm hesitating with the fw upgrade due to following reasons
- I got confirmed that Czech TTS was installed on 2.0.2 by some users
- according other users, it cannot be installed on 2.0.3
- bugs mentioned in bug thread - not possible to remove packages, and Dictionary in pdf files is not working properly.
So I see no benefit in upgrading with regards to TSS installation...

I suspect that I have some generic issue, maybe valid for any application. But I found only TTS files to test. Would anyone know about some other files that also need an installation ? For example some dictionaries that are supposed to be installed to internal (hidden) memory.
Thx
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
- bugs mentioned in bug thread - not possible to remove packages, and Dictionary in pdf files is not working properly.

I suspect that I have some generic issue, maybe valid for any application. But I found only TTS files to test. Would anyone know about some other files that also need an installation ? For example some dictionaries that are supposed to be installed to internal (hidden) memory.
Thx
No, there are no other xpi files except tts for now.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:

Thx

honza99999
, you are very welcome. As far as I know, keeping 2.0.2 and not upgrading to 2.0.3 puts the device of risk of freezing that might be recoverable only in the service center. That's why it is highly recommended to upgrade to 2.0.3. At least this is the direction for the firmware in the USA.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post

honza99999
, you are very welcome. As far as I know, keeping 2.0.2 and not upgrading to 2.0.3 puts the device of risk of freezing that might be recoverable only in the service center. That's why it is highly recommended to upgrade to 2.0.3. At least this is the direction for the firmware in the USA.
and in Europe
Old 12-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
honza99999

Thx for your replies, I understand why being on the latest fw makes sense, and I'm ok to try it.

But I'm concerned about one point - as I currently have a message that it cannot write to /tmp, what if fw upgrade itself is also using this directory ? To me it looks as a reasonable assumption. Then I'm afraid I might be stuck. Do you have an idea how fw upgrade is internally done ?

Or is there some other way how to check that my problem with /tmp is for TTS only. In such case fw upgrade could be safe in my opinion. I tried to use large and complex pdf, I also got a message that opening the file can take long time, and the file was opened fine at the end. Is /tmp directory used as well during such process. Or can you confirm if /tmp was not writable in general, PB would not work at all.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Thx for your replies, I understand why being on the latest fw makes sense, and I'm ok to try it.

But I'm concerned about one point - as I currently have a message that it cannot write to /tmp, what if fw upgrade itself is also using this directory ? To me it looks as a reasonable assumption. Then I'm afraid I might be stuck. Do you have an idea how fw upgrade is internally done ?

Or is there some other way how to check that my problem with /tmp is for TTS only. In such case fw upgrade could be safe in my opinion. I tried to use large and complex pdf, I also got a message that opening the file can take long time, and the file was opened fine at the end. Is /tmp directory used as well during such process. Or can you confirm if /tmp was not writable in general, PB would not work at all.
Thanks
If /tmp wouldn't work (means if the sys couldn't write on it), the device would be locked right from the beginning.