Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4

Best buy has these on sale for $249. I just bought one a few days ago and so far seems to be a much better tablet for ebooks compared to the Google Nexus 7 I was using.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Hi Pastanley , I also have been interested in the Samsung 8.4 device. It looks like a good size for the price of $250. I have never owned a Samsung Tablet before. But I do have a Nexus 7. 1 Which I really like. I use it all the time.

I found out that Google is not offering any New Nexus 7 tablets, Just the Nexus 7. 2. that has been out since last year.

This year Google only has a 6\ phone, and the new 9 tablet. This has me thinking if Google phases out 7 inch Tablets. then I would need another android 7 or 8 tablet in the future.

Could you tell me what you like about your new Samsung Tablet ? What do you like better about it then the Nexus ?
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
This is compared to my old Nexus 7 (2012 version). It is wafer thin. Ultra light. Faster and more responsive. The screen resolution is as good as it gets (359 PPI). To me its the perfect size for reading ebooks. The 7 inch tablet was too small for me. The speakers are better. The start up time from shut off mode is 23 seconds compared to about 1 minute on the Nexus 7 gen 1. The colors are more vibrant. The back has imitation leather (even has the stitches all around) Which gives it an executive look and feel. Has an 8 MP rear camera (which the gen 1 nexus 7 did not have). The only downside is the battery life is about the same as my old Nexus 7 which is around 7 hours. There really aint much difference between the Google and Samsung brand. The OS is really what makes a tablet what it is. The settings in the Samsung can be a little more confusing but Im sure a few more weeks of learning this OS will work out. It also has a mini SD card slot for expandable memory. Has a 2 MP front facing camera for Skype or whatever you need it for lol. Rear cam also shoots 1080p HD video. The rear camera has a flash. At $250 - its only $20 more than the 2nd gen nexus 7. This tablet pretty much does it all- other than the fact that it is a 8.4 inch tablet. Im not sure how long BB plans on going on with this sale. I heard rumors they will keep the price at $250 until the supply is exhausted. I heard Samsung plans on phasing out this model. Get one now while the price is right.
The main things I use the Samsung 8.4 for is an ereader, comic reader and streaming music from tune in radio via Bluetooth speaker.

Last edited by pastanley; 11-06-2014 at 02:04 AM.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thank you pastanley , for your detailed comparison, between the Nexus 7. 1 and the Samsung 8.4. I also have the first gen. Nexus 7. The Samsung looks like a great device for $250. I also like the 8.4 screen size. I'll have to go down to best buy soon and check out the Samsung !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Yes, Samsung is phasing out the pro series tablet. To be replaced by the S series. Main difference being the screen that in the S series is now oled compared to the pro series lcd screen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I have had the S8 .4 long enough, I think, to give it a fair evaluation. It has several major faults.

The most glaring problem is the poor battery performance. I'm lucky to get 7 hours of just medium use (surfing and such). It is slow to open apps and stutters constantly. It is extremely slow opening web pages.

If I could have a do-over, even at $250, I would probably pass.

Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
luvhilndr
Connoisseur
luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I have had the S8 .4 long enough, I think, to give it a fair evaluation. It has several major faults.

The most glaring problem is the poor battery performance. I'm lucky to get 7 hours of just medium use (surfing and such). It is slow to open apps and stutters constantly. It is extremely slow opening web pages.

If I could have a do-over, even at $250, I would probably pass.

Regards-John
I have to agree about the battery life. Although I love the screen (it puts the iPad Mini Retina to shame), sometimes it lags/stutters when scrolling webpages or flipping through Flipboard. All things considered though, I really do like the Tab S.

Last edited by luvhilndr; 11-22-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Clarified details
luvhilndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have the 10.5 version of the tab S and while the screen is good (not as good as the 8" version since it's same resolution in a bigger package), it does lag. It has to do with Samsung's stupid software.

You can root the tablet to get rid of some of the bloat but you will void the warranty. Samsung actually put in a trip wire that will let them detect if you have rooted your device and will not honor any warranty claim. Nasty.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I have the 10.5 version of the tab S and while the screen is good (not as good as the 8" version since it's same resolution in a bigger package), it does lag. It has to do with Samsung's stupid software.

You can root the tablet to get rid of some of the bloat but you will void the warranty. Samsung actually put in a trip wire that will let them detect if you have rooted your device and will not honor any warranty claim. Nasty.
Before rooting it, try a different app launcher instead. Not everything in the Samsung software is stupid and causing lag. Mainly it is when using Touchwiz as app launcher. I suggest Nova - just a matter of preference. I prefer to use it because once I switched to it I never felt like needing anything else. With it I can still use everything else that Samsung add (if enabled).
Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Before rooting it, try a different app launcher instead. Not everything in the Samsung software is stupid and causing lag. Mainly it is when using Touchwiz as app launcher. I suggest Nova - just a matter of preference. I prefer to use it because once I switched to it I never felt like needing anything else. With it I can still use everything else that Samsung add (if enabled).
I installed nova five minutes after I charged up the tablet. I still get lags in apps. I had a nexus 7 that was smoother even though spec wise the S should be way better. (The nexus had an erratic touch screen, but that's another story.)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I installed nova five minutes after I charged up the tablet. I still get lags in apps. I had a nexus 7 that was smoother even though spec wise the S should be way better. (The nexus had an erratic touch screen, but that's another story.)
That is too bad. Possible that the cpu or gpu is too slow for the resolution. On my Note 4 I don't have any lag that I notice. But then it does have the Snapdragon 805 which might just handle the quadhd resolution better? Never seen though how Nova compares to Touchwiz on the Note 4 - I never tested how Touchwiz runs (only long enough to throw it out).

Sorry to hear that about the S 8.4 - I was thinking about it, but settled instead for a Nexus 7.2 and 10 and still saved money. Touchscreen on my Nexus 7 is weird too - does not like any stylus.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
you guys with slow tab pro's must be doing something wrong

mine is still as fast as the day I got it. its a great reader, and a great tablet in general
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
This device got it for e-books. Thumbs up!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
you guys with slow tab pro's must be doing something wrong

mine is still as fast as the day I got it. its a great reader, and a great tablet in general
Totally agree for I am guessing that most people have never experienced any lag. Biggest problem for me has been the low fixed back and activity buttons when reading. My solution is to turn the tablet so they are on the top then I don't accidentally hit them.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
No idea what one's definition of "lag" is; but none of my tablets provide instantaneous response in ALL cases. All the tablets have a lag somewhere/sometime depending what I was doing & not always doing the same thing.

I'm quite happy with my Pro 8.4 as it looks to me like the best ereader for me at the present; the Pro 8.4 is also scheduled to get the lollipop update sometime.

The major problem with the Pro 8.4 is the high screen resolution where some graphics won't render because the app wasn't done "correctly". e.g. Aldiko won't display any illustrations when reading an ebook that has illustrations, not even the book cover which may be displayed in the bookshelf. Moon Reader & Mantano do display the illustrations within the ebooks.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote