Totally, serious, and it's ridiculous! 11 34.38%
Totally serious, and I want one, too! 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
The ultimate Iliad Accessory - How serious am I?

OK, so here's what I need and why...

I have taken to reading on the Iliad while eating.
This became very comfortable once I started propping up the Iliad on an easel or easel-like contraption (whatever's handy, Legos, stacks of books...) in order to achieve a nice viewing angle.

Here's the problem, though - to turn the page, I need to put down either the fork or the knife. Also, using the flipbar shifts the propped-up Iliad a little bit to the left, so after a couple of turns, I need to readjust the easel's position.

It seems what I need is some kind of remote control - either the old-fashioned kind where I push a button, or maybe something more sophisticated, like a foot pedal or The Clapper or those whistle-things for keychains ...

Who's gonna step in and make this little item for me?

Last edited by The GreatGonzo; 10-18-2006 at 07:18 PM.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Actually this would also be great for people without arms.
I bet you can make a foot flipbar, with several additional buttons, so you can handle the iLiad completely with your feet. Would just need a proper USB driver and a newly designed footwork thingy. Maybe there is even such a footmouse on the market, that can be used.

And i do think you're dead serious.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Had we a microphone, you could click the tongue, or even use a sort of Kalaharian speech code. Humming is a idea, too.

There are some cameras for compact flash and or SD card; you could use them to detact face gestures.

You could make a contraption to press the screen using a wacom pen... remember that the wacom does not need to touch the screen, just to be 1cm of the screen when it is pressed.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Why not suggest some kind of auto-page flip...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Youy could write a timer app. that could turn pages, and configure it for specific time intervals.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
Who's gonna step in and make this little item for me?
Do you have the juice to supply an iLiad SDK?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
readmore
readmore began at the beginning.

Device: palm tungsten tx
Actually another great application of the foot switch would be for musicians.... it'd be an easy way to display digital music!
readmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Everything is available via USB these days. For example, X-keys has a foot pedal, and other interesting programmable USB devices. These can all mimic a USB keyboard, and so should in principle work on the ILiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I think maybe a camera to recognize where my eyes are looking. When I get to the last line it can turn the page for me. I'm really lazy.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Everything is available via USB these days. For example, X-keys has a foot pedal, and other interesting programmable USB devices. These can all mimic a USB keyboard, and so should in principle work on the ILiad.
Why not get a mouse and have some fun with the iLiad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I just mentally command the page to turn... No wait, I have a Kindle. Some features not available outside the US... 8?)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
lvyelion
lvyelion began at the beginning.

Device: G900,iLiad Gen2, Prs-505, UX1XN
LOL, go get a pair of chopsticks
lvyelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
I cannot test it atm, but there is the usb-keyboard 'driver' - somewhere in the software-release-forum. And I think the left/right buttons or page up/down was what the flip-bar was mapped to.

So in the end you need a cheap-usb-keyboard (one you don't mind to trample upon) and a long usb-cable. The rest fine-motorical movement of your toes .

And I think tribble said what makes this really a useful approach, if you have no hands or miss some motorical control or simply have jam or honey on your fingers, you would not want to touch your hallowed iLiad .

Cheers, bon appetķt!
Nergal
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
This might be an ideal substitute for the "keyboard".

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/no...s/175&cl=ch,de

The tongle of this device actually behaves like a keyboard, pressing "page up" and "page down", if you press the forward/backward buttons on the presenter
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
I cannot test it atm, but there is the usb-keyboard 'driver' - somewhere in the software-release-forum. And I think the left/right buttons or page up/down was what the flip-bar was mapped to.

So in the end you need a cheap-usb-keyboard (one you don't mind to trample upon) and a long usb-cable. The rest fine-motorical movement of your toes .

Nergal
Who said you need fine motor skills of the podiatric phalanges? Just find a program that will remap keyboard key-presses, and map every key on the left side as BACK, and every key on the right side as FORWARD. This works best with ergo-split keyboards.

Then, you just have to make sure you whack the correct side of the keyboard.

Blah blah blah blah [end of page] STOMP
Blah blah blah blah blah
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote