Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 is the best ebook reader so far

I've own a lot of ebook reading devices: Irex Iliad, Hanlin V3, Hanwang n518, Kindle, Sony, Ipad ......to name a few. The newly acquired p1000 really made my day.

Some would say, "it's not even an eink device". Well, iPad changed my negative impression of active LCD screen. And I know there are other factors which are also crucial to being a good ebook reader: fast response, factor form, the feel of books.......etc. In fact iPad put my other eink readers beneath dust.

But I have one very serious complaint against iPad: ppi. 1024x768 for an 10 inch screen is non-aesthetics to say the least, and it's very backward in an age of high definition.

And iPad2......what a disappointment! I seriously doubt Steve will raise the ppi for iPad3. So, I give up.

And here comes p1000. 7 inch at 1024x600 is very pleasant at reading distance.
I know of only one tablet that has higher ppi than p1000, which is Chinese Aino Novo8, an android device with an 8 inch screen at 1280x768. I bought Novo8, but it's "dirty" screen wipes out its advantage at higher resolution.

And p1000's 7 inch gives a better feel of a real paperback, and it's very comfortable to hold in hand.

The built in ebook reader is fantastic! Anyone that is blaming android for being lackluster in ebook reader should give this reader a serious look. I don't know if it is available as a stand alone software. I wish it is!
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great post thanks for the review.

The Tab is a very nice tablet, very comfortable on the hand. I almost got one myself, but I ended up with a nook.

Actually there is another tablet that has a better screen and that is the nook color. While the resolution is the same the nook sports an IPS LCD screen which makes for a brighter crisper image.

Galaxy Tab vs nook

Mind you this a comparison between the Tab WiFi and Nook. The Tab 3G has better hardware.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
Thanks for the compliments. I've considered NC myself, but the thicker frame (compared with p1000) eventually put me off. I'm a slim frame freak......

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Great post thanks for the review.

The Tab is a very nice tablet, very comfortable on the hand. I almost got one myself, but I ended up with a nook.

Actually there is another tablet that has a better screen and that is the nook color. While the resolution is the same the nook sports an IPS LCD screen which makes for a brighter crisper image.

Galaxy Tab vs nook

Mind you this a comparison between the Tab WiFi and Nook. The Tab 3G has better hardware.

=X=
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
I'll second the sentiments of the OP. I love my Galaxy Tab as well. It's a great size - comfortable to hold in the hand and fits in a largish pocket nicely.

The screen is very good quality - ok it's not eInk but that doesn't bother me. I like the fact that i can load up a number of different reader's and reads just about any format going - although my favourite book reader app is Mantano.

The other benefit of the Tab over eInk dedicated readers is it gives me something i can use to amuse my 18month old and 6 year old. It covers all the bases in a single portable device - altough i must admit i don't fancy using it as a phone - altough i could if i wanted to.

I was interested in the Nook Color but unfortunately it's not available this side of the pond.
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
I'll second the sentiments of the OP. I love my Galaxy Tab as well. It's a great size - comfortable to hold in the hand and fits in a largish pocket nicely.

The screen is very good quality - ok it's not eInk but that doesn't bother me. I like the fact that i can load up a number of different reader's and reads just about any format going - although my favourite book reader app is Mantano.

The other benefit of the Tab over eInk dedicated readers is it gives me something i can use to amuse my 18month old and 6 year old. It covers all the bases in a single portable device - altough i must admit i don't fancy using it as a phone - altough i could if i wanted to.

I was interested in the Nook Color but unfortunately it's not available this side of the pond.

It’s been many years since I’ve had an 18month old or a 6 year old for that matter, but it doesn’t prevent me from loving my 7" SGT as a reader. I have a PRS 505 and a JetBook, and my wife has a Kindle. But I’ve used nothing but my Tab for reading since I got it.

I was pretty much confined to my smart phone while out and about and my PC when at home (WhisperSync is WONDERFUL), but now I can use the Tab exclusively. My only issue is that the battery is not quite up to an all day read, but then those occasions I have the opportunity to devote a whole day to reading, I’m also near enough to electricity to just plug in.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
I know of only one tablet that has higher ppi than p1000, which is Chinese Aino Novo8, an android device with an 8 inch screen at 1280x768. I bought Novo8, but it's "dirty" screen wipes out its advantage at higher resolution.
What do you mean by "dirty screen". I have seen several demo videos and they looked pretty good to me. The Novo8 has some flaws but the screen didn't appear to be one of them. What am I missing?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Guys, just thought you might be interested to see what fbreader looks like on a Tab if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=30
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
taylor3456
taylor3456 began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon n800
I have also a samsung galaxy tab. But I do not know what kind of stylus I should use to take notes in the pdf file. Can you give me some suggestions? Ipad have several apps with palm rejection function. Do you know some sort of this on the android platform?

thanks!
taylor3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Guys, just thought you might be interested to see what fbreader looks like on a Tab if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=30
hmm, looks just like in my smartphone, except bigger and with horrid, phosphor-over-black reminding us of old dumb terminals. I'm all for B&W and W&B for day and night reading.

also, what is it about this lame and boring Angry Birds game that everyone should have it always on screen? I have it and see nothing. I enjoy the Radiant retro-spaceshooter much better.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
emt
Nameless Being

Galaxy 7" Tab Also...

and I like Cool Reader very much - an almost infinite variety of formatting options and very easy on the eyes. Since a 16 Gb WiFi-only Tab can be had for between $300 and $350 US it represents a great bargain - with a 16 Gb SD Card I have 32 Gb of storage. One other thing, the Bluetooth makes for a nice way to enjoy music and/or audio books.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
hmm, looks just like in my smartphone, except bigger and with horrid, phosphor-over-black reminding us of old dumb terminals. I'm all for B&W and W&B for day and night reading.
I do a lot of night-reading and have found my eyes respond much better when there's no white light. Green is my go-to foreground color, but I've also used something in the magenta family comfortably. Is the only thing horrid about his layout the memories? To each his own, of course, but I've certainly found it to be a comfortable scheme for longer reading sessions (day and night, TBH).
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

also, what is it about this lame and boring Angry Birds game that everyone should have it always on screen? I have it and see nothing. I enjoy the Radiant retro-spaceshooter much better.
I belong to green phosphor (some times orange) dumb terminals generation, and I allways choose that color combination for night reading with LCD devices, since I got my first device (I-mate Jamin with Haali Reader), it is really comfortable. If you like retro style games, perhaps you should give a try to "missile command" opensource game for android, really nice.

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi
does reading on the small 7 inch screen a little bit difficult?
i'm currently looking to buy the galaxy tab as it is the only one readily available here.
and im wondering on the difficulty of reading on a 7 inch screen.
metal1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal1369 View Post
does reading on the small 7 inch screen a little bit difficult?
i'm currently looking to buy the galaxy tab as it is the only one readily available here.
and im wondering on the difficulty of reading on a 7 inch screen.
Same size as many dead tree books and many more options!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi
@emt never realized that. i was always comparing it to netbooks and other tablets. never saw it from a real book's point of view. ty
metal1369 is offline   Reply With Quote