Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1021
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that should work, but I'll let you test it My problem with it is that it would mix the authors up with the other shelves. If Kobo added an authors list that looked like the shelves list (each author with a count of books, press the author and list the books) that would be great.
Why not a custom column something like this: {author_sort}{series:| - |}, that way the series shelves are with the author, works (Tried it), but you might want to mess with shortening the author_sort, I know that can be done with some fancy template code, but I haven't done so.

So you'd get shelves:
Clarke, Arthur C.
Clarke, Arthur C. - Space Odyssey
Clarke, Arthur C. - Rama

Not really my first choice though as I have a lot of one off authors...

Last edited by XrXca; 10-12-2012 at 12:36 AM.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #1022
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
NOOOOO!!!!!.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yes, that should work, but I'll let you test it My problem with it is that it would mix the authors up with the other shelves. If Kobo added an authors list that looked like the shelves list (each author with a count of books, press the author and list the books) that would be great.
Well... maybe we need the ability to prefix a shelf name based on the column that defined it....

Author - JRR Tolkien
Series - Lord of the Rings
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #1023
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well... maybe we need the ability to prefix a shelf name based on the column that defined it....

Author - JRR Tolkien
Series - Lord of the Rings
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Again, I couldn't resist.

You could do it now with XrXca's idea of a custom column.

I don't think I would use this, but if there is a demand, I can add it. But, do you add the prefix for all columns, or only certain ones?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #1024
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Yeah, the thought of automatic shelves in calibre did cross my mind, but as davidfor said it would get messy mixed up with regular shelves. So far I'm manually creating shelves for authors when I reckon there are enough books to warrant it, otherwise I put them in a more general category.

I haven't looked into how calibre does shelves automatically, but I'm assuming you can create shelves based on the read state. Is it then possible to create shelves only if the state is "Im_reading" or undefined (ie. unread)? And then is it possible to name the 2 shelves something other than Im_reading and Undefined?
I mean, like being able to list authors, yet again this is something I feel should have been included in the very first firmware, seeing what books are unread and what books you're currently reading.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #1025
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
I haven't looked into how calibre does shelves automatically, but I'm assuming you can create shelves based on the read state. Is it then possible to create shelves only if the state is "Im_reading" or undefined (ie. unread)? And then is it possible to name the 2 shelves something other than Im_reading and Undefined?
The shelves are defined in calibre. During a sync the shelve are created and books put on them. There is no reference to the states of the books on the device, though this is displayed in the device list.
Quote:
I mean, like being able to list authors, yet again this is something I feel should have been included in the very first firmware, seeing what books are unread and what books you're currently reading.
An author list and a way to filter out books based on states are missing.
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #1026
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Smile Annotations percent read error

Annotations percent read error is a tiny but incorrect calculation when accessed within a book.My estimates for % read are in the thousands.
It would be nice if it was between 1 and 100 %
Shelves are working for me quite nicely (V2.0) and created one for shortlist or books reading now,so i don't lose the book i'm currently reading after i scan thru or page a few other books.
The book I'm currently reading seems to get pushed off the home page when browsing other books.

Overloading shelves with books is not advised.I've found doing this renders my KT helpless.

For now I'm quite happy with my Kobo Touch
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #1027
j-beda
j-beda began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
sorting "by author"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
It would be nice to be able to list all authors, and selecting an author would only display their books. Would mean less fiddling about with shelves, and I could then use my shelves for quick access to books I'm currently reading or plan on reading soon.
What I think should happen (or at least be an option) is that when viewing any book list in the "by author" mode, if an author has only one book in the list, that book is displayed, but if the author has multiple books, a folder of the books is displayed that you can select to get a list of just those books by that author. This would make it completely unnecessary to do any grouping or sorting by hand of an author's work, and allow us to use the shelves feature to it's fullest potential without a whole lot of extra effort.

A similar setup for book series would be nice, but even if it is only done by author, as most series have a single author, everything becomes much simpler to manage.
j-beda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #1028
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Used as I was to a simple directory listing on my Boox, I'm surprised that Kobo didn't actually have straightforward author, title or directory based listing. In addition to that I'd like to be able to set the home screen to one of the library views.

Edit: given the low limit of Shelves before opening them becomes too slow (less than 100) , directories would be the number one item for me.

Last edited by ijdod; 10-14-2012 at 05:53 AM.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #1029
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTREADER View Post
Annotations percent read error is a tiny but incorrect calculation when accessed within a book.My estimates for % read are in the thousands.
It would be nice if it was between 1 and 100 %
I don't personally use this, but I'll have a look at it.
Quote:

Overloading shelves with books is not advised.I've found doing this renders my KT helpless.
Performance on 2.0.0 with lots of shelves or books on them is terrible. It has been fixed in 2.1.4.
Quote:

For now I'm quite happy with my Kobo Touch
Good.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #1030
jfca283
jfca283 began at the beginning.

Downloading books from dropbox.
jfca283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1031
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
For me, and many french users, we need:
-Time appear always in the read menu.
-Caesura working correctly in french.
-Back of the reading progression bar in read menu (with ticks for chapters).
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #1032
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
For me, and many french users, we need:
-Time appear always in the read menu.
-Back of the reading progression bar in read menu (with ticks for chapters).
I agree with azbds. Please bring back the reading progression bar. I would prefer having this to percentage read.
I am enjoying all other updates, especially the increased speed. Thanks.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #1033
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfca283 View Post
Downloading books from dropbox.
You can already do this through the browser. Browser is in extras under settings.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #1034
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
For be more acurate:
-With 2.1.4 and before, the caesura rule was 1-1.
-With 2.1.5 the rule is now 5-5.
But in french, the rule must be 3-3.
We actually use a mini-firmware to correct this... but will be better if include directly in official firmware.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #1035
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Post-2.14/2.15 changes in the UI/UX I would love:

- ability to disable Wishlist on Home screen
- replace the pseudo-links (in fact menus) on the Home screen with real links (e.g. tap on Library to go directly to the Books screen, etc.)
- bring back the heart icon to quickly add books to the short list
- ability to pin a few shelves in the Library menu (or on the Home screen)
- have a Low Battery Warning!!!
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote