Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #586
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by digbybare View Post
Hmm, it also seems like my battery life has gone down dramatically. If I just leave it sleeping, the battery ends up fully depleted within a day.

Curiously, I'm not getting the wake up delay that other people are seeing, it wakes up instantly for me, even after sleeping for a long time. It seems like maybe it's just never going to sleep, and something's pegging the CPU? It's unlikely to be indexing, as I've only put 3 books on it.
Dig around a bit here - I seem to recall there being a bad font library that causes the Kindles to "hang" rather than sleep.

Sorry I don't remember the details or the key words you should search for (truetype problems? maybe).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #587
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
any step-by-step 3.4 update guide like the 3.3 one?
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #588
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How well does sound work? That was a problem with the older K3 firmware on a DXG. Try playing an MP3 file and see if there are any "hiccups" in the audio, then report your results. Thanks.

P.S. You just got a 2600 karma upgrade.

Yeah mine was changed to 3.3 awhile ago. Frankly audio has crackles. I tried a bit of some free audio books from audible and it is just hard to listen to even with earbuds. Then again mine is a DX so listening to one isn't that easy when compared to a smaller mp3 player. Audible is largely with drm (didn't know that) so frankly there's only a few players that can play it.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #589
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
TBH even the 3 has some serious stumbles when it comes to the audio.

The card takes like FOREVER to initialise,
(longer than twice the maximum cache length time just to be extra awkward to program for) : )

There are pops and sniffles even then when it plays.

I haven't really dug around in the audio on the DXG that much (I wasn't holding out much hope after hearing the 3) - It could be something as simple as a poorly written/managed/implemented driver/service/conduit/something of course. Or perhaps it really is a big ask to do the RT audio with the rest of the junk hanging around.

Either way, the fact that even the 3 has oopsies should put the DX(G)'s performance in context.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #590
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
See my experiences to 3.4:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196495

KF8 is the only thing that is not working.

I don't believe webkit library and kernel updates have anything to do with KF8 support. The log says unrecognized format when I tried to open a KF8 mobi file. Hopefully other expert can help to resolve this.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #591
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
When I was mucking around with the DXG under 3.3 from a K3 I had no battery problems, as long as the 3G was switched off. With 3G, the battery was empty inside a day or two. I eventually gave up and went back to the stock DXG firmware, 3.3 was just too flaky for me. YMMV.

Last edited by pmul; 12-02-2012 at 03:00 PM.
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #592
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have an K3KB with 3.4 no 3.1 and a DXG

Can I install a 3 Firmware to the DXG?
Or do I need a K3KB with 3.1 or 3.3?
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #593
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
I have an K3KB with 3.4 no 3.1 and a DXG

Can I install a 3 Firmware to the DXG?
Or do I need a K3KB with 3.1 or 3.3?
I'm in the exact same state as oldbrook. crickets :-(
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #594
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make 3.4 into 3.1 via usbflasher? No?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #595
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Make 3.4 into 3.1 via usbflasher? No?
Looks like I will have to go that route. It's just that the K3g isn't really mine...I gave it to my son. Would hate to brick it :-)
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #596
twobob

k3flasher is pretty solid. must have done it tens of times now.

But yes. there is always the risk when a change occurs that things may go wrong.

Get the right files. get the right tools. get a plan. follow it exactly. should be okay.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #597
do0g
do0g began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
My DXG is on 3.2.1 at the moment, can anyone forsee any issues with me going straight to 3.4?
do0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #598
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0g View Post
My DXG is on 3.2.1 at the moment, can anyone foresee any issues with me going straight to 3.4?
Just one:
Where are you getting your 3.4 packaged for the DX ?

The series 3.x firmware, as used on the DX, is a cross-breed of the DX and K3 kernel & firmware.
Have you already "mixed and matched" 2.5.8 and 3.4 so it can be used on your DX?

We can't provide any such Update_*_.bin file here, as it would contain copyrighted materials we don't have permission to re-distribute.
Which is why you have to do the "mix and match" of the files yourself from images of devices you own.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #599
xs400
xs400 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile KUAL on Kindle DXG with 3.2.1 firmware

I could not get USBNETWORK to work on the DXG with 3.2.1
I used Launchpad instead.
Copy the deviceHack to the root of your Kindle DXG

create devhack.ini in the Launchpad folder with the following:

[Actions]
;; run devicehack runme
A A = !/mnt/us/deviceHack/runme

Press Shift Shift Space
Then press Shift A A

This worked for me

** I had to install certificates and install kindlet jailbreak again
** Also, did not have to use "runme install"

P.S. I'm a noob, and have no idea how the above worked, so you'll have to work it out if the above steps dont work for you.

Good luck!
OOPs! wrong thread but hope it helps anyway

Last edited by xs400; 08-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.
xs400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #600
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs400 View Post
I could not get USBNETWORK to work on the DXG with 3.2.1
I used Launchpad instead.
Copy the deviceHack to the root of your Kindle DXG

create devhack.ini in the Launchpad folder with the following:

[Actions]
;; run devicehack runme
A A = !/mnt/us/deviceHack/runme

Press Shift Shift Space
Then press Shift A A

This worked for me

** I had to install certificates and install kindlet jailbreak again
** Also, did not have to use "runme install"

P.S. I'm a noob, and have no idea how the above worked, so you'll have to work it out if the above steps dont work for you.

Good luck!
OOPs! wrong thread but hope it helps anyway
At the time that KUAL was released, I do not think anyone had a cross-breed DX/K3-firmware test device.

Thanks for reporting the trouble with KUAL and that device/firmware combination.