Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
free iPad comicbook app

I found this comic book app for iPad called comicpad.

http://www.denvog.com/iphone/ComicPad/index.html

I downloaded it and the current version doesn't allow you to download your personal CBR, CBZ file using iTunes. But I have heard that the developer has submitted the latest version to App Store which will support iTunes syncing. Till then you can try and see if it works for you.

cheers.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I would strongly recommend the app Comic Reader Mobi, which allows you to read Cbr/Cbz comics and has some very nice features. Amazing support for this app... the author has a forum set up for support/feedback and is very active... also has some very nice updates coming for the app in the next couple weeks.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
I would strongly recommend the app Comic Reader Mobi, which allows you to read Cbr/Cbz comics and has some very nice features. Amazing support for this app... the author has a forum set up for support/feedback and is very active... also has some very nice updates coming for the app in the next couple weeks.

I had not heardnof that one, I will check it out.... I tried the Marvel one, beautiful and worked well......bit $1.99 a comic!!! That sent me running the other way.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I had not heardnof that one, I will check it out.... I tried the Marvel one, beautiful and worked well......bit $1.99 a comic!!! That sent me running the other way.....
Comic Reader Mobi is a little more expensive for the app, but if you like to read digital comics, once you see the features that it has, and the features that the author is adding soon, you will appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
The Comixology one or whatever it's called is pretty good too. Pretty much exact same interface as Marvel App, but a lot more free comics to check out, and most of their comics are 99 cents a piece--more indie comics I guess.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I just checked it out on the app store. Yes, $15 is pricy for an app.... But the native cbr support is a huge deal. I will get it, not right away but in a few weeks. I am finding many cool things to do on the pad, and really don't need yet another time eater just yet......
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The Comixology one or whatever it's called is pretty good too. Pretty much exact same interface as Marvel App
That's because Comixology built the Marvel app. It's their app, reskinned, with different content.

Great deal for them, they get paid by Marvel. Great deal for Marvel, they don't have to start from scratch- instead they get a mature program developed by people who know how to make a good looking and easy-to-use app. (Unlike Mobi or ComicZeal. Sorry, but it's the truth.)
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
I tried the Marvel one, beautiful and worked well......bit $1.99 a comic!!! That sent me running the other way.....
Yeah, it's pricey but that's not totally Marvel's fault. Sales through apps have to go through the app store, and have to be priced in accordance with Apple policy: all prices must end in $.99. So $.99 is fine, $1.99 is fine, but $1.49 is right out. Marvel chose $1.99 instead of $.99.
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yes. i read something that marvel wanted to charge $1.49 but apple wouldn't let them.

most of the content available in the marvel app is available in the comixology app btw, plus a lot of other independent publishers, from what i've seen.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I also highly recommend comixology. Great app made even better with the larger iPad screen. I also prefer their range of comics to the marvel app.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Just wanted to add that I'm a fan of comicreadermobi. The author is tops too. I originally purchased to WinCE version and he transferred me to an iPad license no questions asked.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
comic reader mobi looks great but it's too pricey. are there any cheaper alternatives. I have comixology but it only allows their store comics. no support for cbr/cbz syncing from itunes
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warpig View Post
Yeah, it's pricey but that's not totally Marvel's fault. Sales through apps have to go through the app store, and have to be priced in accordance with Apple policy: all prices must end in $.99. So $.99 is fine, $1.99 is fine, but $1.49 is right out. Marvel chose $1.99 instead of $.99.
May I suggest that Marvel charge $1.99 for even number issues and 99c for odd number issues except No1 which should be free.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
comic reader mobi looks great but it's too pricey. are there any cheaper alternatives. I have comixology but it only allows their store comics. no support for cbr/cbz syncing from itunes
This is why comic reader mobi costs more. It is not in the same category as the comixology apps, etc... that are selling digital comics through the app. The only alternative even close to mobi is ComicZeal, which is 8 bucks and is not too bad, but takes a really, really long time to import cbz's once you sync them from iTunes and open the app.

The author of comic reader mobi is adding a feature within the next couple weeks that will allow you to read the cbz's from your pc without even needing to sync them to your device. If you have a large collection of books on your PC that is like gold.

Check out his forums... http://forums.comicreader.mobi/ if you want to see more features. There is a reason this app costs more... it is the king of comic readers on the iphone/ipad hands down.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
May I suggest that Marvel charge $1.99 for even number issues and 99c for odd number issues except No1 which should be free.
I like the way you think!