Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
dementrio
dementrio began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000, prs505
Wide margins in html to epub; font size mngmt; PDF metadata

Hello,

I am unable to understand what I am doing wrong in:

1. Converting HTML pages to EPUB. Calibre sees them as ZIP and converts them fine, except the output has really wide left and right margins in my 505 (to the point of being unreadable). The margins in the ebook viewer are fine. If I copy and paste from a browser to rtf calibre can convert it fine.

2. I'd like to specify font sizes corresponding to various "zoom levels" in my 505. For example 8pts for small, 10pts for medium, etc. I tried playing with the "font size key" setting and as far as I can tell it had no effect, and I'm having a hard time trying to guess what it really means.

3. Most of the time calibre is unable to update PDF metadata. This is especially annoying because many pdfs, for some reason, have their metadata in Chinese and my 505 shows all of them as a bunch of boxes. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of the pdf library calibre is using?

Thank you!
dementrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Your HTML file probably specifies its own margins. You will have to remove those before converting.

2. You can't do this.

3. Limitation of the PDF library
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
2. Font sizes are confusing. My understanding is that the "normal" base font is the size that appears for small. Then, the reader does it's own adjusting for medium and large zooms. I suggest putting 8 as the base font size in the calibre conversion options and seeing what that does.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote