Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I'd go with something more on the order of:

Why God is Still Great (101 Critiques of Organized Religion)
Without knowing either the content of the book, or what's really in Gregg's head, and going only by the comments made in this thread so far, Froide's suggestion seems perfect. Not only should you use it, Gregg, but you should thank him in the acknowledgments!

Note: There is probably a huge audience that would like your original title much better, but I have no idea if they'd like the content or if they are the audience you're going for.
Your original title would probably generate more controversy, and that's good for business.

Last edited by ApK; 10-09-2014 at 11:39 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks. That's nice and simple. Not sure most people will get Screwtape though.
That's the point of it. "The Screwtape Letters" (yes, Crich70!) is one of the best books about religion I've read. Anybody who's read it will be tempted to take a look perhaps. For those not knowing it is enigmatic enough to wake some interest?
Perhaps "Screwtape revisited" will be more simple and appropriate?
I am a fan of strong simplicity .

Last edited by varlog; 10-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Without knowing either the content of the book, or what's really in Gregg's head, and going only by the comments made in this thread so far, Froide's suggestion seems perfect. Not only should you use it, Gregg, but you should thank him in the acknowledgments!

Note: There is probably a huge audience that would like your original title much better, but I have no idea if they'd like the content or if they are the audience you're going for.
Your original title would probably generate more controversy, and that's good for business.
Thanks ApK. Yeah, Froide's suggestion was awesome, but now you've got me wondering if my original title isn't better. See, I was afraid that nobody puts 'what's wrong' in Amazon's search engine. People seem to always want to know 'how to' or want something encouraging.

My book is definitely hard on organized religion but it's also hopeful (after the hardness is over). And actually using Froide's title is slightly problematic for two reasons. One, it starts with 'why God is still great,' "still" indicating an antecedent, which, again in Froide's suggestion, follows, rather than precedes. And two, because the flow and order of the book is 1) the 101 things wrong with organized religion 2) why God is still great.

When people see a title they think that's what the book is about, the subtitle is just elaboration. A title of "Why God is Still Great..." in that sense is misleading.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
That's the point of it. "The Screwtape Letters" (yes, Crich70!) is one of the best books about religion I've read. Anybody who's read it will be tempted to take a look perhaps. For those not knowing it is enigmatic enough to wake some interest?
Perhaps "Screwtape revisited" will be more simple and appropriate?
I am a fan of strong simplicity .
Yeah, varlog, Screwtape is a seminal book, but I would still say most people are clueless as to its existence or meaning. The enigmatic element granted is there.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote