Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
AA battery charging option for Kindle

I always see the battery life of the Kindle debated as a problem on mobileread. The Tekkeon TekCharge MP 1550 ($25) combined with the USB power adapter from this thread ($5) should give anybody almost unlimited battery options.

The two advantages I see to this solution is that AA batteries are available everywhere so you are never far from power. I personally have mine loaded with rechargeable Eneloop batteries which have very low self discharge rates. The other advantage is as mentioned in the thread above that you can keep on reading because the Kindle won't go into drive mode.

Whispernet to your hearts content mobile warriors.

Last edited by l1n1234; 05-21-2008 at 07:17 PM.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You're gonna hate this. There charger similar to what your've described available for about $20 through Amazon.

Emergency AA Battery Extender w/ Tip Exchange for the Amazon Kindle
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Cheap and just because it claimes to be a "for the Kindle" device does not make it so. Notice I believe the item has ZERO tech specs listed. So odds are that cheaper device is some Fresh Off the Boat knockoff that could vary in QC and zorch your Kindle or battery. Voltage regulation is a very key factor in these external PS's. I know the Tekkeon works well, has solid voltage regulation providing pretty steady voltage plus it's cheap. Combine it with some Sanyo Eneloop Ultra Low Discharge batteries (I buy mine from Thomas Distributing...battery quality on rechargables varies significantly from the crap at WallyWorld. I learn't me that the hard way.) and you have a bit of back-up power...not a lot but enough. Also how much current is needed by the Kindle to charge? Need to make sure that your device will supply enough. 500mA should do it easily over USB.

I use the MP1550 on my Cradlepoint CTR350 MBB Pocket Router and to provide power I made a Franken-cable from an old USB cable and an old power supply that I had no clue what the heck device it worked for...took about 10-mins to make the cable and cost nuttin'.

If it were me, I would just buy a 2nd genuine Kindle battery and carry that around. Swap batteries if you are not gonna be near power for a while, like camping or jail for more then a month. And also get a nice Black & Decker Power Inverter for your car (again check the voltage range to make sure it works to charge whatever you are plugging into it) at Walmart for like $10 so you can, in a pinch charge the Kindle or backup batteries while driving or even just parked while you are doing other stuff.

Last edited by brecklundin; 05-22-2008 at 03:07 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
The Kindle batteries are cheap anyway. If you have to pay $25 every year for a new battery, is it really so bad?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
If it were me, I would just buy a 2nd genuine Kindle battery and carry that around. Swap batteries if you are not gonna be near power for a while, like camping or jail for more then a month.
I know there are people who have spare batteries but since the only way to charge them is in the Kindle I don't really see the point. If they came out with a rapid charger just fro the batteries (like cell phones used to have), I'd consider an extra battery.

I'm looking into purchasing a Solio with and iGo tip.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't go through Amazon to buy this device.

http://www.gomadic.com/

That is the website for it. It will work on a number of different devices with the correct tip. So you can get it for your Sony Reader, cell phone, DAP, etc.

As you can see they do the charger for a number of devices. So basically, get the charger, the tips you might need, and as long as you have access to AA batteries, you can get a charge. Also have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24059 for a quick review.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
l1n1234
Enthusiast

The Tekkeon Tekcharge has regulated voltage output 5V, also doubles as a battery charger for your rechargeable battery, and comes with seven tips included already if you have other devices etc. Tekkeon also sells a bunch of different tip adapters for any kind of device you want.

Anyways it appears there are quite a lot of options for portable charging of the Kindle (and all the readers). Maybe this will make the endless worrying about battery life of the Kindle less relevant.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the Tekcharge take 2AA or 4AA batteries? The Gomadic takes 4.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
l1n1234
Enthusiast

The Tekcharge takes 4 AA because you need to get up to 5V for standard USB output which it is based on.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
The Tekcharge takes 4 AA because you need to get up to 5V for standard USB output which it is based on.
TekCharge comes with a handy tote, plus seven adapter tips for connection to:
• Blackberry (mini USB)
• LG mobile phones
• Motorola mobile phones (mini USB)
• Nokia mobile phones
• Samsung mobile phones
• Sony Ericsson mobile phones
• iPod/iPhone (using your own iPod USB cable)

I don't own a Blackberry, LG phone, Moterola phone, Nokia phone, Samsung phone, Sony phone, or an iPod. So basically, this device is useless. And they say you can get other tips, but the website shows nothing for other tips. I would ignore this device and get a Gomadic. They have support for a lot of different devices with a wider range of tips. I can use a Gomadic to charge any of my portable devices as it has tips for all of them.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
l1n1234
Enthusiast

The Tekcharge also has on/off switch, and charge level indicator. There are tips for the following devices for $4.95:

Mobile Power
» myPower ALL
» myPower ALL Adapters
» Camcorder
» Canon
» Hitachi
» JVC
» Panasonic
» Quasar
» Samsung
» Sharp
» Sony
» CD/MP3 Players
» Aiwa
» Archos
» Apple
» AudioPhase
» Classic
» Coby
» Connections
» Curtis
» JVC
» Magnavox
» Panasonic
» RCA
» Rio
» Sony
» Digital Camera
» AGFA
» Camedia
» Casio
» Canon
» Epson
» FujiFilm
» HP
» Kodak
» Kyocera
» Minolta
» Nikon
» Olympus
» Pentax
» Panasonic
» Premier
» Ricoh
» Samsung
» Sanyo
» Sony
» Toshiba
» DVD Player
» Apex
» Audiovox
» Cyber Home
» Eddie Bauer
» Initial
» Magnovox
» Memorex
» Mintek
» Panasonic
» Pioneer
» RCA
» Samsung
» Toshiba
» Handheld Games
» Nintendo
» Mobile Phone
» Kyocera
» LG
» Motorola
» Nextel
» Nokia
» Samsung
» Palm
» Sanyo
» Sony Ericsson
» Notebook Computers
» Apple
» Acer
» Averatec
» Compaq
» Dell
» Fujitsu
» Gateway
» HP
» IBM
» NEC
» Panasonic
» Sony
» Toshiba
» Winbook
» Other
» PDA
» Casio
» Garmin
» HP
» Palm
» Toshiba
» Sony
» Viewsonic
» Portable Media Center
» Archos

The other tips are sold on the Tekkeon online store. Just click on the links on the left for the tip you want. I guess you didn't see it because it is in the shopping area of the website. Both devices are pretty similar. I just got the Tekcharge because it also can charge your rechargeable batteries too.