Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #46
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Yes, the Paperwhite can display your library as book covers (in black and white) and you can email or use Send to Kindle to get content on your Kindle via wifi. Here's a video review that shows the cover view @ 2:20.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #47
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Thanks Synamon..that video seems to show book covers in the store view rather than library? Can you browse your books stored on the kindle by cover?

Also, I was asking if the Glo has an equivalent to 'Send to Kindle'?

thanks for any help.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #48
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The image at the bottom of this review (supersite for windows) shows the home screen of a Kindle with special offers. You can switch between list view and cover view, and although on this screen you can see the bottom half is taken up by 'editors picks' in cover view, I believe you can turn this off via the parental controls.

I'm pretty sure the Kindle is the only device you can email books to, but you can use services like dropbox to get your books via the e-readers browser.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #49
hermano
Connoisseur

Thanks l_macd.

Interesting review of PW, seems cover view only shows last 3 books?
Can anyone with accessto PW confirm, please?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #50
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Cover view shows three books on first page of home page by default; bottom row is taken up with Amazon's suggestions.

If you turn off the Kindle Store under Parental Controls, Amazon's suggestions will be replaced by another row of book covers, so with that setting, you see six most recent book covers (or six collections, or a few collections / the most recent book covers, six items in total, if you have created collections and are in collections view).

Note: for personal documents / things you have sent to the Kindle yourself, the word "Personal" is displayed across the bottom of the book/document cover image, which may in some cases obscure the title of the book or the name of the author.

Also, while it's a nice option to have, it *is* naturally in black and white, which at least for me makes it at times difficult to actually see the cover images properly and tell the difference between several books (with somewhat similar covers) at a glance.

I'm currently using cover view, but I may switch back to list view eventually.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #51
Trantorx
Connoisseur
Trantorx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Important question regarding PW "capacitive" Touchscreen.

When travelling to Florida beach and tanning I am used to bag the Kindle into a household plastic "zip" bag to avoid entering salt n sand on/into the device.

Can the PW still be navigating pages when wrapped into a thin plastic bag?

Or do i need an infrared model like Kobo Glo to be able to switch pages inside a plastic bag??
Trantorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #52
hermano
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantorx View Post
Important question regarding PW "capacitive" Touchscreen.

When travelling to Florida beach and tanning I am used to bag the Kindle into a household plastic "zip" bag to avoid entering salt n sand on/into the device.

Can the PW still be navigating pages when wrapped into a thin plastic bag?

Or do i need an infrared model like Kobo Glo to be able to switch pages inside a plastic bag??

I too would like to-know this..not just beach but in the bath!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #53
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
My understanding is that the Kindle won't accept touch input if it is bagged or if you are wearing gloves. I am probably going to get a Kobo Glo because of this. Can't imagine why Amazon moved from infrared to capacitive, it might be slightly more responsive or accurate, but that doesn't outweigh the benefit of using it with gloves on or with it bagged.

Cheers

Barney
Barneyabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #54
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=391

A forum member tested the Paperwhite in a plastic bag and says it works fine.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #55
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I am using my PW every day in our jacuzzi with a ziploc, it works perfectly well.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #56
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The Glo page turns work by tapping so quite easy to use the way you want. It's IR like previous Kindles.
Being able to use gloves is a biggie here and anywhere else that has a winter! Of course you can buy special ones with the tips for capacitive screens but they are not available everywhere and do cost more.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-14-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #57
crazy_bee
crazy_bee began at the beginning.

Device: noce yet
Hackability

Which one do you think will have the strongest hardware modding capability?
The kindle obviously got a bigger community and a serial port. The glo has sd card.

Which one would work better for communicating with a raspberri Pi or openwrt router?

Thank you
crazy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #58
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've also been looking to update my Sony PRS-650 - even though it is working perfectly, and am considering the Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo and Sony T2.

Sony PRS-T2
Yesterday I took the 650 into a Sony store and compared it with three T2's. Under the same lighting conditions, similar fonts and sizes, my screen is just as white as the T2's which really surprised me. Also, when opening a book from the home screen, my 650 with 200 books on took the same amount of time as the T2 with only 6 books loaded, which again really surprised me. Of course I left the store without buying anything. My experience totally contradicts the advertising surrounding the T2, unless the THREE T2's on display all had bad screens while my 650 has a good screen - seems rather unlikely to me - but I couldn't deny what I was seeing for myself.

Kobo Glo
I then went to WH Smith to compare the Kobo Glo with the 650. Even with the light switched off (yes you can do this on the Glo by a button on the top of the unit), the screen was noticeably whiter, but not by an enormous amount, and opening a book from the home screen was quite a bit faster. The Glo's screen with the light on looked evenly lit to me although with in-store lighting it is difficult to tell what it would be like in a dim room. I was also impressed with the font size variability in the Glo, a slider which seemed to have far more (usable) options than the T2. IMHO the T2, like the 350 and 650 had a large size difference between the smaller sizes which mean I can never get the optimum size for me. With the Glo, I found it very easy to find a good size, line spacing, and weight of font.

Kindle Paperwhite
Being in the UK I haven't yet seen the PW in my hand but had preordered it from Amazon. However, reading through all the feedback from people who have already got their PWs and are using them, I feel very unimpressed with it. If it was as good as their publicity originally showed, I would have put up with the hassle of converting all my ePubs and not being able to use Calibre to organise my collections, but now I'm not so sure.

My Conclusion
Well, finally I think I have come to a decision and have just cancelled my order for the Kindle Paperwhite and will get the Kobo Glo instead. I wish Sony had come up with something new and exciting this year, but the T2 (or even the T1) just don't work for me. Now I'm waiting for the arrival of my silver Glo and looking forward to a new experience.

Anybody who loves their Sony PRS-650 and would like a spare in mint condition, or somebody who is looking for a metal not plastic ereader, please see my advert in the classified section, £95 inc. Sony cover.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #59
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
My Conclusion
Well, finally I think I have come to a decision and have just cancelled my order for the Kindle Paperwhite and will get the Kobo Glo instead. I wish Sony had come up with something new and exciting this year, but the T2 (or even the T1) just don't work for me. Now I'm waiting for the arrival of my silver Glo and looking forward to a new experience.
I think you'd have been as well waiting for another few weeks until the Paperwhite is available in the UK and had a look at it instore the same as you did with the Glo. But that's immaterial now, and I hope you'll post and update on how you find the Glo after using it for a while.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on going from what was a very stable e-reader to Kobo (hopefully they won't have the same firmware issues they did with the Touch), but it'd still be good to hear what you think after some extended use of the Glo.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #60
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you get on going from what was a very stable e-reader to Kobo (hopefully they won't have the same firmware issues they did with the Touch), but it'd still be good to hear what you think after some extended use of the Glo.
It's funny, I've had the KK, T1, Nook STR and Kobo Glo, and the one that crashed the most was the T1. The Nook and, in the short time I've had it, the Glo, have never crashed. So I'd argue about the stability of the Sony T* line.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote