Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Ducksy
Ducksy began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150 Sony-PRS 600
Thumbs up Ultra Brite LED Booklight

Hi Gang, Just been into Costco.ca, have they a great deal or what, two swan neck LED booklights with six batteries , all for $14.00 CN. maybe all the other stores through the States have them?? Go get David.
Ducksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
drpepperslurpee
drpepperslurpee began at the beginning.

Device: complete newbie
Was this in your local store or on the website? Do you have a link?

Thanks,
Carrie
drpepperslurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
How about a brand name & model & picture! Are these really bright? Did you test them?
I bought a Sony lighted case & it is only useful to me in a mostly dark room. Not bright enough if there is any ambient light.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Ducksy

Ultra Brite light

Costco Wholesale store. I don't know if they have them online. I picked miine up at the store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	058.JPG
Views:	1397
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	54692  
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Oh, OK. So "Ultra Brite light" is the name on the box & not necessarily your impression of their light output. Hopefully they are bright, 'cause like my $60 Sony lighted cover, actual functionality is not a given!
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It looks like a nice unit (I like the AAA batteries; I have an allergy to things that have $5-a-pop lithium button cells in them) but I'm wondering about glare. The reason I like the Ritelite so much, despite it being about the size of a small street light and certainly not the cheapest book light out there, is that its bar of five LEDs is almost glare-free on my 505. Also, I can plug it into my powered USB hub and it makes a handy desk lamp. Really! It's 90 in here right now and I want to minimize my use of anything that emits heat -- even my fluorescents -- so I've got my book light rubber-banded to the mini-tower fan on my desk, and it's providing all the light I need in this tiny room. The triangular LED layout on these lights looks like it might cause bright spots, so I'd like to hear from someone who's used one before I start bothering friends with Costco memberships (I'm too far from my nearest Costco to keep one up anymore, and I miss it badly; Sam's is distinctly second rate).

Last edited by Worldwalker; 07-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Ducksy

Oh, OK. So "Ultra Brite light

It has two settings, one Brite the other not so Brite, Ok, I have used it two nights to read with in the dark on Brite , I love it Ok.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I have an allergy to things that have $5-a-pop lithium button cells in them
Just FYI, you can usually get ~10 to 20 button batteries (of the same type) on eBay for $5, shipped to the U.S.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And an alternative.....

When I had the Sony reader, I picked up a "Pathway lights: Multi-pose Brightbook" at Target. It has 4 leds, two light levels and was only $8.99. Then high setting is SUPER bright. I used rechargeable AAA batts in it. It was an excellent light for reading the eInk screens.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Just FYI, you can usually get ~10 to 20 button batteries (of the same type) on eBay for $5, shipped to the U.S.
In addition, Mertline also sells the batteries in large packs for under $4-$5..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
And an alternative.....

When I had the Sony reader, I picked up a "Pathway lights: Multi-pose Brightbook" at Target. It has 4 leds, two light levels and was only $8.99. Then high setting is SUPER bright. I used rechargeable AAA batts in it. It was an excellent light for reading the eInk screens.
+1, thanks to your original review. But we need to add the caveat that it's a slide-on clip (like a flat paperclip), not a grabber spring clip, so it's only made to attach to something thin, like a cover.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I never thought of checking eBay. I've got several small devices (an LED scrolling name badge, for instance) sitting useless because they eat batteries at a financially unsustainable rate. Thanks so much to both of you (K incoming) for telling me about that.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote