Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
xportz
xportz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
MobiDeDRM and some Kindle books: Invalid File Format?

I've purchased five Kindle books from Amazon, and have successfully used MobiDeDRM (v0.05) to decrypt two of them. The other three refuse to decrypt, with the following message: "Error: invalid file format".

The two that decrypt contain "BOOKMOBI" in the header, while the first line of the other three that won't decrypt does not contain "BOOKMOBI" but this puzzling string:

Code:
TPZ0cdict
Does anyone have experience with decrypting these troublesome Kindle files?

Thanks!
xportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xportz View Post
Code:
TPZ0cdict
Does anyone have experience with decrypting these troublesome Kindle files?

Thanks!
These are Topaz files and can not be decrypted.

I avoid them like the plague.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, xports.

You can tell if a book is topaz before you download it, by looking at the info.....

If it lists page numbers instead of file size, its most likely topaz.

If you download a sample, and there is a ".azw1" or ".azw2" instead of just .azw, you have a topaz format.

You can contact Amazon and get refunds for the topaz books. Be specific that you do not liked the formatting of topaz........they gotta get the message.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can contact Amazon and get refunds for the topaz books. Be specific that you do not liked the formatting of topaz........they gotta get the message.
Yeah, it's probably a good idea not to tell them that you want your money back because you can't remove the DRM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Yeah, it's probably a good idea not to tell them that you want your money back because you can't remove the DRM.
Right I don't think they'll like that at all. Would probably make more files in that format instead! I've returned 2 books since owning a Kindle in October and both time it was because it turned out to be a Topaz book and I told Amazon the Topaz format sucks and slowed down my reader. I went ahead and bought both books from BoB for about $2.00 more for each book in Lit format. Yes, I spent $4:00 extra but I was able to load both books on my PRS-505 and Kindle!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
xportz
xportz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Just thought I'd update everyone that I was able to use the 7-day return policy to return the books with "formatting I didn't like". Thanks for all of your suggestions!
xportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I avoid downloading all topaz boooks. Royal pain in the neck.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
One of the first books I bought for my Kindle has a .azw extension, but I get the error message "Error: invalid encryption type: 0". Does that mean it's a Topaz format?
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
One of the first books I bought for my Kindle has a .azw extension, but I get the error message "Error: invalid encryption type: 0".
This means that it has no encryption. Just rename the file from .azw to .prc or .mobi and it will work with any MobiPocket format reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Awesome, thank you!
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I just went back and redownloaded a free book to my computer that I had been trying to change the author (it is not showing up correctly in alphabetical order) with mobi2mobi. Yup, it is TPZ. Since it was free, I guess it won't do me much good to complain.

Since Amazon took its stand on kindlefix, I have gone back and removed the DRM on all of my Amazon books. It is easier to use than kindlefix, anyway (because the wiki was removed).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote