Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Brits Lie About The Books They Read!

According to Reuters:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090305/...oks_lies_odd_3

"Two out of three Britons have lied about reading books they have not, and George Orwell's "1984" tops the literary fib list, according to a survey published Thursday.

Commissioned by organizers of World Book Day, an annual celebration of reading in Britain, the study also shows that the author people really enjoy reading is J.K. Rowling, creator of the bestselling Harry Potter wizard series.

According to the survey, 65 percent of people have pretended to have read books, and of those, 42 percent singled out "1984." Next on the list came "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy and in third place was James Joyce's "Ulysses."

The Bible was in fourth position, and newly elected President Barack Obama's autobiography "Dreams from My Father" came ninth."

Can some of our British subjects comment on this? My guess is that most of the fibbing happens in English pubs, where the guys are trying to impress the gals in order to bed them.

I know from my own past --- say, joining book reading clubs and the like, one motivating factor was the desire and opportunity to meet smart, sensitive, and yes, good-looking women...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Can some of our British subjects comment on this? My guess is that most of the fibbing happens in English pubs, where the guys are trying to impress the gals in order to bed them.
I'm startled by this story - I don't think I know anyone who'd lie about reading a book they hadn't.

Currently we're experiencing the 'cult of the dumb' in the UK - ignorance is cool, and knowledge is intimidating.

I could understand my fellow Brits pretending they can't read, but claiming to have read books they haven't surprises me.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I can't imagine why anyone would lie about reading 1984. For one, it's a cracking read, and second it's not a long or overly-complicated novel. Now I could see someone lying about Ulysees, which is unreadable as far as I'm concerned. I suppose those lying about it have some ulterior motive, I can't imagine what though.

I would lie about some books though, for instance if someone asks me have I read The Davinci Code, I could happily say 'yes' (I didn't, not all the way through in any case) just to avoid the tedious argument about how awful I thought it was and how I'd rather have dental surgery than read anything else he's written.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't surprise me at all that people would lie about this. I've always been wary of these polls that put books like "War and Peace" at the top of peoples' "favourite books" list. I wonder how many people have read it? I haven't.

Have to agree about 1984, though. Damn good book. Why lie about it? Just read it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all that people would lie about this. I've always been wary of these polls that put books like "War and Peace" at the top of peoples' "favourite books" list. I wonder how many people have read it? I haven't.

Have to agree about 1984, though. Damn good book. Why lie about it? Just read it!
I've read 'War and Peace' - a Penguin edition, I forget the translator - but it was a cracking read!!
It's long, but doesn't deserve the 'difficult' tag it often gets imho.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-06-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Seems like a :tongueincheek: survey just to get some funding....No one asked me....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I've read 'War and Peace' - a Penguin edition, I forget the translator - but it was a cracking read!!
It's long, but doesn't deserve the 'difficult' tag it often gets imho.
It's on my "reading list" - just haven't got around to it yet. Heck, I've even created an eBook version of it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
If my memory serves me right, 1984 was a book on my high school English curriculum. We all had to read it, or were supposed to read it!

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I haven't read 1984 yet, but it's on my Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
plus those others in your sig line that haven't changed this month.....
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
plus those others in your sig line that haven't changed this month.....
I just added Alice in Wonderland, sheesh. I'm working on Emma right now.

You guys are like slave drivers! Argghh!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It's nestled in for a long stay with Rebecca and Kidnapped.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Women love liars. That's an excellent way to pick up gals.

At least the British are apparently well informed enough about books to lie about reading them. The average American "Joe 12-pack" wouldn't be familiar enough with the books' titles to lie about them. (Just being hard on my country. )

Thanks for the comment about War and Peace being a good read. I've often considered it and now that I have an ebook reader I don't have to be intimidated about its size.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post

I hope you are kidding !!!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
If women liked guys that are well read, I should have been swarming with them. But, not so much. I did get a few looks when I had my Datsun 260Z!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote