Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
drakebelisarius
drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Can someone help me to downgrade PW2 5.4.2 to 5.4.0?

Hi everybody. I'm finally planning to set up my Kindle for Kindle Collection Manager, and full functionality requires that I be running 5.4.0. I recall seeing a guide on how to do so the last time I was here, but a forum search yielded no help this time around. Can anyone point me towards a resource for this?

Thank you in advance.
drakebelisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

The system images can be found in the parent directory, here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
drakebelisarius
drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Thank you!
drakebelisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
cherita
cherita began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle 3/KB
Has anyone successfully downgraded a PW2 3G using the provided WiFi 5.4.0 images? I've been considering doing a downgrade from 5.4.2 for weeks now so I can use CM (and to escape the Cloud Collections), but I'm not desperate enough to make my PW2 the test model (and potentially brick it).
cherita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
decca
decca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherita View Post
Has anyone successfully downgraded a PW2 3G using the provided WiFi 5.4.0 images? I've been considering doing a downgrade from 5.4.2 for weeks now so I can use CM (and to escape the Cloud Collections), but I'm not desperate enough to make my PW2 the test model (and potentially brick it).
Yes, I have just done it. The image in the link does work. Just follow all the steps exactly as described.
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
decca
decca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oops - sorry - it was a WiFi PW2, not a 3G.
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
cherita
cherita began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle 3/KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by decca View Post
Oops - sorry - it was a WiFi PW2, not a 3G.
Well, thanks for at least reading and responding. I'm not surprised I can't find documentation of anyone doing it, since it seems almost no one gets the 3G version.
cherita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think but I am not sure, that the only difference between the WiFi and the 3G models is a single file that switches the 3G on -- both have the necessary drivers and whatever, since they use one image.

At least, I am almost positive that is the way with the KTouch, and I'd imagine the PW is the same.

No promises, though.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
justin916
justin916 began at the beginning.

I'm trying to walk through this process using the readme but I am confused by the differences in file names between the readme file and what's available in ixtab's PW2 directory. Has anyone written an updated walkthrough of the process for the Paperwhite 2 by any chance? If not would anyone would be willing to lend a handy to a newbie?

Thank you
justin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@justin916: Do you have an excellent reason for wanting to downgrade to 5.4.0?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
justin916

I have a reason, I don't know if it qualifies as excellent

I've wanted to be able to organize my kindle using a hierarchical system (vs the current collection method) for years. Since Amazon isn't playing nice and giving me what I want, I started searching and found the Kindle Collections Manager, only to find out that it doesn't work with 5.4.2. Just a little too late to the party I guess.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That is an excellent reason all right.
The device is not doing what you want it to do, and this is the only solution.

Add the two files (kernel and partition) from the "main" folder to your Kindle Drive. Reboot in diags mode (ssh-enabled). Write both those images to the appropriate mountpoints.

Basically, exactly as the Touch readme describes, but using different kernel and partition source files. Instead of "kt_firmwareVersion-(kernel|mmcblk0p1)_main.whatever" just use the pw2 file with the correspondingly-named kernel/mmcblk0p1.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

And try to avoid accidentally nuking the wrong stuff rendering your paperwhite as useless as a paperweight.

If in doubt, ask. Maybe backup the irreplaceable partitions first.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ugh, right, I'd forgotten that the CC stuff was introduced so 'early' ... >_<"
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
justin916

Guide for Review

I've written out a quick guide based on on the instructions for the touch, with the directions changed to match the PW2. So far I'm not able to even get the kindle into diags mode, I move the ENABLE_DIAGS file over but the kindle just boots into its normal state.

On step 13 I have no idea what to copy for a backup because I haven't succeeded in getting it into diags mode yet. After that I'm not positive I have the file/command info correct on Step 15?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Kindle PW2 Downgrade Instructions.txt (2.5 KB, 870 views)