Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Stanza no longer working IOS 6.0.1

I don't know if it the IOS update or the new processor in the 4th Gen iPad I just bought but Stanza no longer works. When you select settings it will lock up. I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling with resets in between. I can't get it to work.

Not a big deal as I've started using Shubook but I thought I'd report it for others.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Yes, settings are known to be broken since 6.0 actually. The rest of Stanza (mostly) still works, though.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Sadly,I reported this problem last week - settings just don't work.

Trying Apabi after recommendation from here - seems v good
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Give shubook a look as well, its more like Stanza than most.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
mkelley
Enthusiast
mkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I found this out today (did not upgrade to 6.0 but bought a new iPad mini with it on it) and I'm bummed because Stanza has something I've yet to find in any other reader -- paragraph settings (ability to control indent and paragraph spacing).

I'll try the other two mentioned in this thread but I'm doubtful they will have it and none of the others that folks always recommend (Bluefire, iBooks, Kobo, Kindle, et. al) have it either. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
I found this out today (did not upgrade to 6.0 but bought a new iPad mini with it on it) and I'm bummed because Stanza has something I've yet to find in any other reader -- paragraph settings (ability to control indent and paragraph spacing).
ShuBookSE has settings for:
- Paragraph Indentation
- Paragraph Spacing
- Line Spacing
- Letter Spacing
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
mkelley
Enthusiast

Yeah, I bought it shortly after I posted.

It looks pretty good -- I kind of hate the page numbers at the bottom (would have much preferred overall page numbers or percent of progress, as seeing the page numbers by chapter doesn't tell you much) and the library organization is pretty crappy (no way to organize collections in any shape, manner or form) so I'm not so sure it will be something I stick with since I have at least 40 or 50 books on my device at any one time but we'll see.

Really a shame about Stanza, though -- there just isn't anything around that can match it.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
Yeah, I bought it shortly after I posted.

It looks pretty good -- I kind of hate the page numbers at the bottom (would have much preferred overall page numbers or percent of progress, as seeing the page numbers by chapter doesn't tell you much) and the library organization is pretty crappy (no way to organize collections in any shape, manner or form) so I'm not so sure it will be something I stick with since I have at least 40 or 50 books on my device at any one time but we'll see.

Really a shame about Stanza, though -- there just isn't anything around that can match it.
I thought the percentage was for the overall book. The page numbers are for the current chapter. In my current book I'm at the beginning of the chapter and the percent is 25% and the page reads 1/12.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
mkelley
Enthusiast

Maybe we're talking cross purposes here, but I'm talking about numbers at the bottom of the page. I want to know where I am in reading the book *while* I'm reading, not when I'm looking at the library (well, that's okay as well, I guess, but not my primary concern).

While I'm reading all I can get are page numbers at the bottom that only reflect where you are in a chapter (and not even 12 out of 30, which would at least tell you WHERE you were at in terms of how long the chapter is). Totally useless.

If there is a way to see the percentage at the bottom of the page while I'm reading I'd appreciate knowing how, though.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
edbro
Banned

While I am in a book, not the library, if I tap in the lower quarter of the page I get a pop up showing percentage of book read as well as the page number in the current chapter.

In settings under Look & Control, I have Hide status bar checked and Show Page Numbers checked. But, I've played around with these settings and I don't see that they change anything. If I uncheck Hide Status Bar it will still auto hide just as it does if I leave it checked. There are actually 2 status bars. One you get by tapping in the middle of the page. That show some controls. The other is the one I already mentioned, by tapping in the lower quarter I get book progress and pg#/pg total of the chapter.

Last edited by edbro; 11-07-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
mkelley
Enthusiast

Right, but I don't want that huge thing there. Just the page I'm at and total pages (like iBook) or percentage of the book I'm in (like Stanza). Something I can leave up all the time but isn't intrusive.

As I said, the current "leave up" display isn't useful at all (who knows how many pages are in a chapter, or how many chapters?). Even if it just said something like total pages in a chapter (like Page 10 of 20 in Chapter 11) it would be a *little* useful, but as it stands it's not worth having.

The trend is to tell the reader, at all times, how much material they have left to read (and it doesn't need to go as far as the Kindles, which now give an estimated reading time to completion, although that's fairly cool).

Overall I think Shubook is decent -- a three star reader. But no match for Stanza (except that it works with the current IOS. Sigh).
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
mkelley
Enthusiast

Oh, and I tried Apabi as well, and couldn't find any setting for it anywhere that allowed paragraph spacing, or indent (not to mention a way to easily adjust font size). Either I'm really stupid, it isn't possible, or it's hidden very, very well.

In the old days I'd just write my own reader, but I'm way too old to get into writing IOS apps and all that entails.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
I just want an Apple ereader that's as good as the free ones on Android.

I wouldn't mind paying a couple of Pounds.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I just want an Apple ereader that's as good as the free ones on Android.

I wouldn't mind paying a couple of Pounds.
Me too, but unfortunately this is one of the rare app types where there is better and more selection of Android apps. The major bookstore iOS and Android apps like Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc. are all way below the feature sets of the better Android 3rd party ereader apps like Mantano. Seems like many of the old PDA (PalmOS and WM) apps were as good or better than most of the iOS ereader apps, and they were written at least a decade ago. I had high hopes when Bluefire was introduced a couple of years ago as it showed a lot of promise, but they have never reached my early expectations.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Give shubook a look as well, its more like Stanza than most.
Shubook has a big problem from my point of view: there are some features (I think it's span) which don't work, so it's not useful for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote