Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
lushgreenapple
lushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Which e-reader has the best contrast?

Hello everyone,

Okay so I am very picky about contrast and clear, crisp text.

I have used my brother's Kindle Keyboard and its great to read in bright light. I am now planning to buy an e-reader and can't decide between the Kindle and Sony Reader.

I have been doing a lot of research and heard so many people praise the Sony Reader PRS T1 for its whiter screen and great contrast. Does it really have better contrast than the Kindles and the Nooks? Sony is expensive so I just want to be sure before I buy.

Thanks!
lushgreenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Don't they just use the same screen?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
The Sony T1 has the best contrast on any e-ink e-reader I've seen.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I am curious about this too. I'm waiting for the dude/dudette with the fancy spectrometer thing to comment.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Of the ones I've seen I would go with the Sony. I absolutely love the fonts and sizing as well. I had the nook st (before the update) and the screen was more of a grayish, especially side by side with the Sony. The kindle keyboard looked creamish and pretty spectacular, but was too limited on fonts...and once I found a font and size combo I preferred on the sony it was hard to go back.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
lushgreenapple
lushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
T1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Of the ones I've seen I would go with the Sony. I absolutely love the fonts and sizing as well. I had the nook st (before the update) and the screen was more of a grayish, especially side by side with the Sony. The kindle keyboard looked creamish and pretty spectacular, but was too limited on fonts...and once I found a font and size combo I preferred on the sony it was hard to go back.
No kidding...I had almost made up my mind to go for the T1 when I read about scary page flipping/unresponsive touch issues. They've slashed the price by 20 dollars today as well. So the only thing I can do is order it and hope Sony will be nice enough to release firmware patches to fix these issues. I am hoping they would because they are clearly priced above competition and hence not in a very popular spot in the market.
lushgreenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's not so much a price slash as it was a temporary rise, I think...

I think contrast is about the same on all current generation eink devices. There are some minor variations both between devices as well as in the same product. Not much that matters though (you can only barely make out the difference if you have two devices side by side).

I'm hoping we'll see improved contrast with the next generation of screens but I'm not sure if the eink technology allows much improvement there or if it needs to be a different concept altogether.

LCDs have better contrast but between backlight and slightly sub-par contrast, the contrast is the lesser of two evils to be sure. Given proper lighting conditions the ereaders work just fine the way they are...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Supposedly the firmware update that addresses the freezing and page flips etc comes out tomorrow (12/02) according to the Sony forum, so we will see!!

Personally I've owned it since release and never had the issues people are complaining of.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
The Sony actually has brightness and contrast controls, which I haven't seen on other e-ink readers. I've played with them in the store a bit, but not extensively.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All the current "big name" eInk devices - Kindle, Sony, Kobo, nook, etc, use exactly the same screen. There can be differences in readability, however, due to differences in fonts, rendering algorithms, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
bentonquest
bentonquest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
In my experience, the Kindle Touch has the better contrast and crispness of the two. I have both (and still undecided which one to return) and this is defintely noticeable while reading in any light conditions.

There is a post about this issue here in mobileread forums, just search for "PRS-T1 KINDLE TOUCH SCREEN" to read about it.

Just my $0.02
bentonquest is offline   Reply With Quote