Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Stevie
Stevie is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
UK Users

The quality and quantity of free books available on Amazon.com for US readers is far higher than is available for us poor cousins in the UK.
Is there any way for us here in the UK to access these free US books?
Thanks
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
If you have an address in the US - you could "move" your Kindle there. Amazon make it fairly easily to do and at the moment you can easily transfer back to the UK if you move back there at a later date.

But all of the above could be subject to change so your mileage may vary etc.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I might be doing something wrong, but I have a borrowed address in America linked to a PC Kindle that keeps redirecting me to the UK site. So they might be checking IP address too? I haven't tried going through a proxy yet, I haven't seen anything I desperately wanted yet.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Mr Ploppy - under Manage Your Kindle is the country set to US? If not click on edit on the right hand side of the same line and select your US address.

It does take 15-30 mins to go through sometimes (or so I'm told!)
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
Stevie

Thanks for the advice guys.
Mr. Ploppy, there is an IP check. I set my country to US and I was still directed to UK site.
A proxy works though.
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you need to create a new account using the proxy, or did the existing one work with the new IP?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Did you need to create a new account using the proxy, or did the existing one work with the new IP?
Just set your home country as US in 'Manage your kindle' and then go in through a proxy and you're sorted. Worked for me.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

So it does. I just tried it with one of the Dummy books that was free in America.